Double shadows at KHAF

Paughco

I purchased Half Moon Bay Airport on 1/14/2018.  I noticed that the shadows are double for airplanes where the shadows are cast on the apron, but not where they're cast on the surrounding areas.  Take a close look at your screenshot with the twin Beech parked out in front of the terminal building.  Two shadows.  Take a look at my T-6 parked near the edge of the apron at KHAF.  Only one shadow where it's cast onto the grass, but two shadows where it's cast onto the asphalt apron. 

Thank you

ATB

T-6 at KHAF with funny shadows.JPG

Misha: Very cool.  Thank you! 

I used to live in San Bruno, California, and rode my 1950 Harley Davidson Panhead to Capuchino High School (Class of '64).  One day in 62 or '63 I read in the newspaper that a somebody had landed a Staggerwing Beechcraft wheels up at Half Moon Bay Airport and the airplane burned up.  I rode over there on my Pan, and saw the smoking ruins.  I also met a kid that went to my same high school.  His dad, Frank Sylvestri, ran the airport.  I got the full tour.  Soon I was working there on weekends for flying time, to the scale of a half-hour of instruction in a Cessna 140 or 150 for a day of work.  The job consisted of rolling out the Cessna 150s and 140s in the morning, gassing and washing airplanes during the day, sweeping out the hangar, and ended up with carefully stowing all the airplanes back in the hangar, and other duties as required.  After I accrued 13.5 hours of flying time, I figured that flying was too expensive, so I asked to be paid in money instead of hours.  Five dollars per day.  Lots of good stories over the years.  Many AN-grade fasteners found their way to my Panhead.  If I showed up 15 minutes late for work, Frank would growl, "Good afternoon!"  He ran West Coast Aviation and the airport operations like a WW2 fighter base (he flew P-47s in WW2).  Years went by.  I moved my family to Pugetropolis.  More years went by.  Snoopie got painted on the roof of the hangar.  Every so often I'd get back down to the Bay Area, and would stop in at Half Moon Bay Airport.  The old Waco biplane was still being rebuilt in the north wing of the main hangar.  Last time I saw Frank was in June 2011, when I rode down there on a BMW K1200S.  We were all a lot older by that time.  I shook Frank's hand and thanked him for letting me work at the airport and all the experiences.  Last time I was at the airport was in 2015.  My wife and I went out to dinner in nearby El Granada with my now life-long pal and his wife.  Plan was to drop my wife with my pal's wife at their nearby house so they could chit chat, and I drove over to meet my pal at the hangar.  It was late in the afternoon and all the work was done.  We rolled the hangar doors closed and my pal poured us each a glass of scotch.  I got the full tour. 

You can see why I bought KHAF within hours of it coming out. 

Thank you

ATB 

Oh man - I do remember those drag races.  Super stock automatic MOPARs!  Yeah!

They have the shadows fixed now, and everything is great with KHAF.  My T-6 really likes the place.

Seeya

ATB

Archived