Autogen Configuration Merger with Tropical Sim installation

owend

I recently installed A Tropical Sim addon KOMA. With that installation came a program called Autogen Configuration Merger. I am concerned that perhaps this could affect my ORBX scenery. Any thoughts? Does this configuration tool interfere in any way with ORBX installations?

About the same time that I installed Autogen Configuration Merger to help with a France VFR scenery, I lost the ability to start a flight in any European addon scenery, ORBX or otherwise.  The sim hangs up at 80%, or it completely disappears.  I've had no problems with North American, South American, or Oceanic scenery.  I'm at a loss.  I think there is a connection...

Garland

The utility adds autogen definitions.

FTX Central adds autogen definitions.

Each resets the definitions when you use it.

It has nothing to do with problems loading simulators and if 

Simstarter is used, neither utility will be given the opportunity

to do what they are designed to do.

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

... if Simstarter is used, neither utility will be given the opportunity

to do what they are designed to do.

That's interesting--I did not know this.   How does Simstarter do this, do you know, Nick?  Is there is a work around for this?

Exactly so but the next time you start it, the changes will be implemented

unless you run FTX Central again before you do.

It is just two pieces of software doing the same thing for two different purposes.

Your choice should depend on what you want to do next.

As far as I understand it, Autogen Configuration Merger merges (thus the name) whatever it has to be added (according to the /Autogen directories in the corresonding sceneries) to the entries already present. Thus, If you run FTX Central 3 and Autogen Configuration Merger afterwards, it will add the new entries (for e.g. Nantucket) without deleting the ORBX entries. For doing so, it asks you to restart the simulator. SimStarter (if configured correspondingly) doees nothing except automating that restart, i.e., you don't have to make the restart by hand but it's done in the background (a functionality added by the author on my request).

I have been using ACM for more than a year now and never did I observe it deleting any ORBX entries nor any other entries present. To the contrary, it just was invented to not interfer with entries already present. At least that's my understanding. 

I don't know about France VFR, though, which as far as I know does NOT come with ACM but with its own tool which behaves differently, according to what I read. However, I lack own experience as I don't buy FranceVFR sceneries anymore.

Kind regrads, Michael

However, in my experience, if FTX Central has been run and then later, scenery set up to trigger 

the Autogen Configuration Merger is added to the scenery library, the Autogen Configuration Merger runs.

If the same scenery is left undisturbed, the next time the simulator starts, the Autogen Configuration Merger

does not run.

It appears to me that both FTX Central and the Autogen Configuration Merger do the same thing, if they detect

that what they have been set to find is not there.

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

However, in my experience, if FTX Central has been run and then later, scenery set up to trigger 

the Autogen Configuration Merger is added to the scenery library, the Autogen Configuration Merger runs.

If the same scenery is left undisturbed, the next time the simulator starts, the Autogen Configuration Merger

does not run.

This is true. ACM only forces a restart of the sim if it finds that the entries it is responsible for have been deleted. This way, every time one starts FTX Central 3 and lets it manage the files and starts the simulator afterwards it asks to restart the simulator, but only in this case. However, given I use SimStarter, even this is done in the background and completely hidden from me.

Kind regards, Michael

I did find that ACM creates backups, in the user App Data, of about 70 meg each, as I recall. Unfortunately this is in my C:/ drive, which doesnt have a lot of memory left. It had 3 gig or so of backups, I deleted all except the latest, no problems. If it came with a Nantucket scenery, perhaps I can reinstall with ACM on another drive.

On 20/01/2018 at 9:52 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Exactly so.

therefore, if one does not run FTX Central, as one would probably not do

if using Simstarter instead, the autogen descriptions are not

changed from those set the last time.

So I use SIMstarterNG but as part of my Run config I open FTXCentral to set the relevant AEC Profile. May I presume that running FTXC in this way gives it the chance to do what it needs to do?

(I did get an installation of ACM with Nantucket but, to be honest, I had no idea what it was seeking to do and I couldn’t find any meaningful documentation so this thread is useful - thanks to all involved.)

Doc_Z, backups in:

Users\"name"\Appdata\Roaming\SceneryDesign.org\AutogenConfigurationMerger\

Since I deleted all the backups (except the latest), it has added  560 meg. 

Perhaps there is a way to limit all the backups to 1.

19 hours ago, CBPilot said:

So I use SIMstarterNG but as part of my Run config I open FTXCentral to set the relevant AEC Profile. May I presume that running FTXC in this way gives it the chance to do what it needs to do?

(I did get an installation of ACM with Nantucket but, to be honest, I had no idea what it was seeking to do and I couldn’t find any meaningful documentation so this thread is useful - thanks to all involved.)

I'll add FTX Central to my run cfg also :)

On 1/22/2018 at 1:35 AM, CBPilot said:

I'm not sure why it's necessary to set up separate AEC profiles.  I've asked elsewhere, but there have been no satisfying answers.  Would anyone care to comment.  I have one AEC profile which I use for all flights and which is updated every time there is a new airport that requires an elevation correction.

• 1 year later...

Archived