Flying Dutchman - Innsbruck to Manching

Mr.Mugel

Well, I hope you´re not too tired of Connie screens from me, did another trip last night, a short hop of about 100 miles from Innsbruck to Manching, home of the Messerschmitt Foundation near Ingolstadt. Cruise altitude was set for 11.000 feet due to the mountains around Innsbruck. Weather was put in from FSXWX.

Firing her up. Passengers are seated allready, full cabin for the short trip. Weather looks interesting with the low clouds in the valley.

2018_1_14_2_35_36_868.jpg

Yeah, climbout will be interesting, plan is to follow the valley until around 9.000 feet, that should clear the mountains. For sure this crate won´t do the same climb rate as that Dash 8.
2018_1_14_2_46_44_258.jpg

Once again, the old Queen of the skies stretches her wings and lifts into her natural environment.
2018_1_14_2_52_4_697.jpg

And into the soup, ATC wanted me to turn northwards heading 335, but that would have lead me straight into the rocks. Turning left along the valley.
2018_1_14_2_55_38_424.jpg

After close to 10 minutes of seing nothing but clouds, hand flying her following compass and my faith in the navigator, skies clear up slightly, Altitude should be enough to be above the mountains.
2018_1_14_3_1_54_889.jpg

And there it is, blue skies above. Still a bit shaky air, so I requested 14.000 feet.
2018_1_14_3_6_50_233.jpg

Graciously soaring through the calm skies, engines back to cruise settings, coffee and drinks being served.
2018_1_14_3_16_5_633.jpg

Heading back down over Germany, weather is more clear here, so ATC provided me with visual approach vectors.
2018_1_14_3_34_10_652.jpg

Full landing configuration, on final into Manching. Not seen a Messerschmitt buzzing around so far...

2018_1_14_3_38_38_290.jpg

Everything looks good, let´s set her down nicely.
2018_1_14_3_38_27_460.jpg

And the final part of the work, PAX have been lead out by the Stewardesses, now putting her into rest, ready for the next adventure.
2018_1_14_3_50_15_871.jpg

Had a good flight, only minor issue being that I accidently pressed the Y key and career mode was turned off by Accusim, so my landing wasn´t rated. FSXWX and REX TD put together some nice clouds, still thinking about Sky Force though.

Cheers,

Lennart

Very nice narration and set of shots. I have been thinking about getting the Connie for several months now. I guess I should pull the trigger soon. I am not a tubeline guy, but I have a soft spot for multi engine prop aircraft, especially A2A one's. I miss not being able to fly the B-17G in P3D v4, so I will probably end up getting the Connie soon. Your great shots just pushed me close, I think :)

18 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Super leuk set of shots in DVH!

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was excellent!  And what a beautiful plane this is, I still marvel at the graceful lines of the Connie.  Wish they'd retool and build some new ones.

And I loved the first shot, she looks majestic parked there.

Would love to fly in one some day. But travelling in one of them in their era must have been even more spectacular!

18 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Very nice narration and set of shots. I have been thinking about getting the Connie for several months now. I guess I should pull the trigger soon. I am not a tubeline guy, but I have a soft spot for multi engine prop aircraft, especially A2A one's. I miss not being able to fly the B-17G in P3D v4, so I will probably end up getting the Connie soon. Your great shots just pushed me close, I think :)

It is different from the B-17 which is quite simple system wise and can easily be hand flown. In the Connie I tend to be more busy, doing the job of 4 people in the cockpit. Still it´s awesome and very rewarding when you´ve successfully finished a trip.

17 hours ago, BradB said:

Sensational Connie shots mate !! .

Cheers

John

Thanks John!

17 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Beautiful images from your flight Lennart and who could ever get tired of Constellation posts.

Come to that who would get tired of looking at any post on here.!:)

Thanks, might be more coming in when I find the time to take her out properly again. Need to do some really bad weather.

16 hours ago, lifejogger said:

That looks like it was an exciting flight!!!!  Enjoyed your comments and the pictures.

Thank you, it was quite intense, hand flying that bird while seing nothing, not even having ILS or something to rely on, just the vision of where the mountain formations where and a compass. I guess that stuff should be avoided when flying with 40 Passengers + Crew in a real plane.

11 hours ago, Sammy H said:

All of these are stunning, too many to even pick one favorite!

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Mr.Mugel said:

It is different from the B-17 which is quite simple system wise and can easily be hand flown. In the Connie I tend to be more busy, doing the job of 4 people in the cockpit. Still it´s awesome and very rewarding when you´ve successfully finished a trip.

Thanks for the insights, and I will process what you have said. I have read some similar comments from others regarding the Connie, so I am trying to factor all that in. I keep going back and forth on her, but sooner or later I will make up my mind....I think :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Thanks for the insights, and I will process what you have said. I have read some similar comments from others regarding the Connie, so I am trying to factor all that in. I keep going back and forth on her, but sooner or later I will make up my mind....I think :rolleyes:

It´s an airliner, and just as you, I´m not too much into flying those, but the classic ones are different. You still get the mighty roar when going for take off power, the smooth growl when cruising, the vibrations... Really well done and it really feels alive. I had some issues with the autopilot every now and than, I don´t really know if they were intended by the program or just bugs.  Anyway they added to the experience. When you sit there, doing some engine management stuff or looking out of the window and suddenly the plane starts to dive. Gets you on your toes pretty good.

I really enjoyed learning to properly use VOR and ILS navigation features with this and when things get slow you can still pick a challenging airport or nasty weather.

All in all, I really love it. Looking forward to what they put out next.

Archived