Schwesing (EDXJ) to Helgoland (EDXH) in a Martlet

andy1252

Wanted to see what the ORBX version of Helgoland looked like (I'd gotten an emailshot from A***soft about their version) so went for a visit. I'll probably stick with this for a while - it's good! A trip in the JF Wildcat/Martlet, setting off from Schwesing just because it was far enough for a trip but not too far.

bUMFcdC.jpg

ZAiAeXY.jpg

RlJ9ZQM.jpg

love the tones in this scenery in winter

mopECoC.jpg

like this 'plane too!

9znTprU.jpg

heading out to sea

5a3ggYS.jpg

coming up on Helgoland

47vFFX5.jpg

bWQj0np.jpg

EzZm1Rf.jpg

a quick circuit before attempting a landing

tUiQOJu.jpg

bma6JLE.jpg

had to go round a couple of times to figure out the runway with the best chance of staying dry.

89SeNOp.jpg

9Auck0s.jpg

and still came in very low and slow

iwgwhP1.jpg

Mx6XwJp.jpg

aWYcePA.jpg

ended up only using about 2/3 of the tarmac

WgOyDYo.jpg

parked up to get my breath back and calm down!

OFbiijN.jpg

wKW0kBL.jpg

OK, I had to save the flight just before the approach and have several attempts at the landing, but hey!

Nice set Andy, and you're right! The Orbx version of Helgoland looks pretty good, especially for not being a specific payware upgraded airport. And my oh my, is that a fat little plane. The venerable Wildcat looks good, especially during that landing.

12 hours ago, BradB said:

Smashing shots and a textbook landing

Thanks John, but the reality is that it was way more of a scrapbook landing than a textbook one. Many attempts required, but at least you can do that in the sim!

12 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Nice set Andy, and you're right! The Orbx version of Helgoland looks pretty good, especially for not being a specific payware upgraded airport. And my oh my, is that a fat little plane. The venerable Wildcat looks good, especially during that landing.

Cheers Sniper. Yep, I quite like Helgoland, and I've always liked the Wildcat (and its Flying Barrel / Gulfhawk predecessors). They all seem to handle really well and can stop on a sixpence (dime in your money, probably). And I rather like that look - sort of "well fed pussy cat", which I suppose might be where the name came from?

11 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I love it, that's a cool little island and I love the lighthouse, smashing shots Andy.  And yeah, I've never seen that plane before, it's a stout little guy isn't it?  I like it, and I like the landing gear configuration.  Very interesting design.

Cheers Jack. My first visit there and I like it. Nice bit of coast nearby as well - lots to explore. And a definite winner in the Wildcat (or Martlet as it was called in the UK Navy version)

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

how did you manage the narrow undercarriage?

Hi Martyn, thanks for the comments, and the undercarriage didn't feel like a problem but the view out of the cockpit is rubbish. "Eventually" getting the plane down is about right! Did you know you don't actually need floats to land on water?

7 hours ago, Sammy H said:

Another classic set here!

Cheers Sammy! (I seem to remember you being a Maryadi Osprey fan - looking forward to V2?)

5 hours ago, paulb said:

Looking good Andy! That orbx version seems pretty decent :). One of the enhanced airports in GEN I guess? 

My next purchase from A## will probably be Anchorage. Apparently it fits with SAK.

HI Paul, I would guess maybe that's the case with Helgoland, or perhaps it's just one of those "favourite places" for the sim developers. And I can recommend the Anchorage - just got the v4 upgraded version but haven't installed it yet.

Archived