Night Lighting NA Global Freeware Airports

SmokeDiddy

Sorry if this post is misplaced, but I wanted to sound off on an observation.  I have looked at a couple of airports (KGMU and KZLU), but I am assuming this observation is part of the baked in lighting on airport buildings, but the really look bad in that they are very low res I think.  See the pic below.  I haven't noticed this in any payware airports.  I don't recall this when I used FSX:SE, but maybe I didn't pay attention this closely.  I use P3Dv4 now.  Anyway, I am wondering if it's the textures or something with my graphics settings.  You can see the pole light halo on the right seems to be ok, but the baked in textures on the buildings are not very good.  Thanks for any advice!!

PpL1

Hi SmokeDiddy,

Your graphics settings are fine.  One of the big differences between freeware and payware airports is the use of  standard ORBX Libs objects for the freeware and all "custom" objects in the payware offerings.  Freeware airports generally take hours/days to create vs weeks/months for the payware versions.  Most, but not all, ORBX objects have some amount of night lighting but by no means are they to the to the level our talented payware folks can accomplish.

Cheers, Neil

Another observation with regard to night lights (the actual lamps I mean) at airports is that these tend to be way too large. In P3D with the "very small" settings of the Global Lights Configurator I get very convincing bright spots for the autogen lights on my 2560x1440 px screen, but at airports there are huge blobs. In my understanding  it would be sufficient to tune the textures used for these lamps, so an update could be made with moderate effort.

Hi Markus,

Hmmm....I normally use one particular "light" fixture on all my airports.  The night brightness is part of the object and I can't change it and I agree it's quite bright.  I'll see if someone can open up that object and tone down the brightness and then re-add it to it's ORBXLibs location.  Next time ORBXLibs is updated it will show up as less bright whenever it's called for in an airport.  No promises as I haven't the knowledge on how to do it, but hopefully I will find some one who can.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

just to be sure - I meant the texture of the actual lamp bulb. And not the brightness but the size is wrong.

Many thanks for your effort - I'm greatful for getting these airports filled with life for free.

Regards, Markus

Archived