Germany Photoreal?

John Venema

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally from one who has every ORBX product I feel I 'd like to suggest something a little radical perhaps JV. How about instead of charging forwards with all these fantastic new PR sceneries how about bringing all the current ones up to date so they are All on the same level of production, or even actually for example doing or redoing a few more airports in Australia as WA seems to have missed the boat somewhat compared to the eastern states ( yes I'm a little biased as I'm in WA.)

Also for me the download of 120GB file would take me approximately a week and a half running 24/7 as it takes me over a day just to get a 3GB file if I'm luck my internet doesn't drop the ball, so in a very simple answer for me sadly it would be a No to these products.

On ‎12‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 12:52 PM, Ticker7 said:

Personally from one who has every ORBX product I feel I 'd like to suggest something a little radical perhaps JV. How about instead of charging forwards with all these fantastic new PR sceneries how about bringing all the current ones up to date so they are All on the same level of production, or even actually for example doing or redoing a few more airports in Australia as WA seems to have missed the boat somewhat compared to the eastern states ( yes I'm a little biased as I'm in WA.)

Also for me the download of 120GB file would take me approximately a week and a half running 24/7 as it takes me over a day just to get a 3GB file if I'm luck my internet doesn't drop the ball, so in a very simple answer for me sadly it would be a No to these products.

Though not from Australia, but from Austria, I agree to that point at 100%.

I am on Windows 7 64-bit with FSX/Acceleration, and just recently getting
the dreaded OOM's. After searching the web for help, found there are many
references that  photo scenery should be used very sparingly.

On 31.12.2017 at 7:04 PM, John Venema said:

Happy new year everyone! 2018 is gonna be one hellavu ride!

Question: We now have access to pristine new imagery for Germany. How many of you would be interested in a photoreal version of the whole country of Germany? It would be about a 120GB download but would contain all the POIs from our landclass based regions and we’ll make it for FSX/P3D/AFS2/XP. Launch platform would be AFS2, would be summer only to begin with.

This would join seamlessly onto our Netherlands products.

Your feedback would be welcome.

Wishing you and your families a happy and safe 2018!

On 6.1.2018 at 4:32 PM, John Venema said:

If this happens at all it will be for AFS2, summer season only. 

Orbx is not going to head into the territory of huge country PR regions of 1TB or more in size, that's likely a step too far.

Netherlands is happening because it's a small land mass, so we can do seasons. PNW is probably the largest area we'd tackle for FSX/P3D.

Orbx will still be developing landclass-based regions, likely the rest of Alaska, New England Maritimes next, and also Australia V2.

I just reread this topic and and stumbled across your post #125 in which you contradict your initial statement for which platforms Germany photoreal would be developed. Since post #125 is the latter I assume GER PR will only be considered for Aerofly FS2.

Anyway, if it is not too late, please count me in for an Aerofly FS2 photoreal GER.

We must recognize that Germany is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe so to have a photoreal Germany is more than wonderful. I have 5TB on Samsung SSD so no problem for me! And I would pay any price, even several hundreds of Euro for a photoreal Ger.

The most of the guys have FSX and P3D so it would be good to be made for those platforms.

I have P3D V4.1

I will be happy to buy Ger right away!

Hope to have it soon!

Totally missed this topic and I don't know what has been said but if Germany will be just as good as the FTX Netherlands screenshot indicate I am in. Defenitely. AFS2 has become my 'quick flight sunny day scenery sim' and for that photoreal scenery, done the Orbx way, is the only way to go! Can't wait to fly over Orbx scenery without roads cutting through houses! For P3D, which I use for more in depth simming it doesn't matter that much because I spend more time watching the gauges anyway and usually my view is blocked by beautiful clouds so... But for low and slow GA: yes, please, bring it on! (I am also happy with the decision to do AFS2 first because I P3D sucks for very detailed scenery due to its performance. I am done with textures and stuff popping into view all the time.)

Good news, this!

BTW I wonder if the people who say photoreal looks bad have seen the FTX Netherlands screenshots...?

If it will only be made for AF2, I'm off because I don't want to run 2 different platforms. I would have bought it for P3D4, but if that won't materialize, I'm happy enough with the current LC based FTX GEN/GES. I might buy Netherlands if I want to have the PR experience.

In my opinion it would be more important to fill those regions with some more PW quality airports, especially the South of Germany which is quite empty until now in regards of good VFR airports (at least in P3D4).

44 minutes ago, DeeJay said:

If it will only be made for AF2, I'm off because I don't want to run 2 different platforms.

I always thought the same but Aerofly FS 2's buttersmooth performance I just too good to pass... So I use P3D for my more 'serious' simming (Majestic Q400 with load of other addons) and AFS2 for my low and slow quick VFR flights. (Although I have to say the free AFS2 Q400 is pretty amazing for a 'default' aircraft!!!) I just can't enjoy low and slow flying that much anymore in P3D after experiencing AFS2, specially Orbx's LOWI, which is a miracle to behold in AFS2. When it comes to smooth performance nothing comes close to AFS2. So I will happily buy FTX Netherlands (and if it ever comes FTX Germany) for AFS2. Can't wait to see all that detail passing buy as it it is real!

The difference in smoothness between P3D/XP and AFS2 really has to be experienced in order to be appreciated. Anyone who hasn't flown in AFS2 can't possibly know how big the difference is. Ever since flying in AFS2 P3D has never felt smooth to me anymore. Yes, I really can enjoy the Majestic Q400 in P3D with all its addons and it's not that I am constanly bothered by the performance but as soon as I start a flight AFS2 I am amazed by its smoothness again. It's a 'real life smoothness'.

Anyway, what I wanted to say: AFS2 isn't too expensive and totally worth to have 'on the side'.

3 hours ago, J van E said:

I always thought the same but Aerofly FS 2's buttersmooth performance I just too good to pass... So I use P3D for my more 'serious' simming (Majestic Q400 with load of other addons) and AFS2 for my low and slow quick VFR flights. (Although I have to say the free AFS2 Q400 is pretty amazing for a 'default' aircraft!!!) I just can't enjoy low and slow flying that much anymore in P3D after experiencing AFS2, specially Orbx's LOWI, which is a miracle to behold in AFS2. When it comes to smooth performance nothing comes close to AFS2. So I will happily buy FTX Netherlands (and if it ever comes FTX Germany) for AFS2. Can't wait to see all that detail passing buy as it it is real!

The difference in smoothness between P3D/XP and AFS2 really has to be experienced in order to be appreciated. Anyone who hasn't flown in AFS2 can't possibly know how big the difference is. Ever since flying in AFS2 P3D has never felt smooth to me anymore. Yes, I really can enjoy the Majestic Q400 in P3D with all its addons and it's not that I am constanly bothered by the performance but as soon as I start a flight AFS2 I am amazed by its smoothness again. It's a 'real life smoothness'.

Anyway, what I wanted to say: AFS2 isn't too expensive and totally worth to have 'on the side'.

Price wouldn't be the big problem. But just the fact that I already have more addons than time to fly with them in P3D4 alone..

Well, if I can identify my own house in the preview shots and myself working in my garden, then I might give it a try ;)

Great idea photoreal Germany.

For P3Dv4 I use photo real scenery + custom AG only , but for Germany there where to many color differences ( multiple sources ).

Therefore as an exception I bought the complete FTX Germany..

Being able to fly photo realistisch again + superb AG + custom objects is the best there is.

Hopefully there will be an upgrade price for excisting FTX Germany users...

11 hours ago, DeeJay said:

But just the fact that I already have more addons than time to fly with them in P3D4 alone.

Which is why I hardly buy any addons. B) I think I buy one plane a year or so and usually I only fly that one plane for months and months. I also try to limit scenery to FTX regions. The last region I bought was FTX Germany last year and the one before that was FTX Norway which I bought at the day of its release...! In between I only bought LOWI for Aerofly FS 2 last year because AFS2 really needed it...! I like my sims clean and tidy. ;)

Something I don't understand, is that there are people reacting here who don't want PR sceneries. Have you all seen LOWI for AFS2? Like more here, I'm a real life pilot, and whenever I do fligh planning and preparation, I watch maps, check notams etc. When you fly, you look out and see the landmarks you've seen on the map. Rivers, churches, towers, fields and forests. I therefore don't get people who find LC better, since anything on your map won't really be there. What's the fun in that? So get more HQ PR sceneries over please :)

33 minutes ago, Hans Bodde said:

Something I don't understand, is that there are people reacting here who don't want PR sceneries. Have you all seen LOWI for AFS2? Like more here, I'm a real life pilot, and whenever I do fligh planning and preparation, I watch maps, check notams etc. When you fly, you look out and see the landmarks you've seen on the map. Rivers, churches, towers, fields and forests. I therefore don't get people who find LC better, since anything on your map won't really be there. What's the fun in that? So get more HQ PR sceneries over please :)

Hans, I'm a converted fan of AFS2 and I have opted in favour of a PR GER. But it is not correct when you say anything on the map won't be there, in P3D/FSX. In Orbx sceneries rivers, lakes, roads, rail tracks, power lines, cities and even most small villages are all there where they are in real life. Also many light houses, antennas and even some churches, castles and other custom POI. Also the vast majority of forests and and agricultural areas are exactly placed. I never had any problems flying VFR in P3d/FSX using reals world charts.

But you should never fly from real world memory in areas you know in real life. This can better be don in PR sceneries.

12 hours ago, Mickel said:

One word:  seasons

I use PR scenery only.

As the Lighting/saturation/ contrast changes over time in the Sim , it is not that bad having only one , mostly summer , region.

I use FTX Global + OpenLC in winter when there is snow and PR scenery for all other seasons.

The most real look is the one that resambles real life most and that is PR scenery + AG + custom objects ...

Not LC scenery because that is mozaicced scenery ....

15 hours ago, Mickel said:

One word:  seasons

From the OP:

On 31-12-2017 at 7:04 PM, John Venema said:

would be summer only to begin with.

JV already posted elsewhere that FTX Netherlands would have 5 seasons, though not for Aerofly FS 2. So seasons are possible.

Jeroen, almost anything is possible, given the time and the money.  ;)

I'm really looking forward to FTX Netherlands to see what can be done in P3D with PR.  I have to admit I've not bought NZQN because of the PR Remarkables (not that I go to that part of the world much anyway), and I have a love/hate relationship with the PR on the mountain in the back yard where I grew up.  However that's the polar opposite of a flat country that doesn't a suit a LC representation.  I don't want to get drawn into a debate about which is 'better', and it's not the purpose of the thread.  It's like debating which is simming; flying a Cub into a mountain strip or a 777 into a hub?  The right answer is both (:P), but not everyone shares that view...

8 hours ago, Hans Bodde said:

That's impossible. We have just summer and a transition period to the next summer where temperatures are around 8c and winds are stronger. :) 

I wish. But well, yes, it's almost like that now. Although I more often have the impression we have just autumn... ;)

Thinking about this, i didn't retry AFS2 Recently. Has it become more "sim" lately ? I've seen alot of positive opinions about it.

MInd i don't really care about VR at this point. I have a VIVE, but the resolution it's really a party braker for me. Tried x plane and controlling with the hands is awesome, i just do not enjoy wearing that mask at such low quality resolution on my face.

RIght now, for X-Plane 11/P3D4 you can count me in.

I have a Jetmax 737 and am just upgrading to P3D V4 on my main Sim PC.

I fly real world weather and time, predominantly in Europe.

My bugbear is the legacy airfield & Navaid database in FSX/P3D, but I am a retired Nav so that’s understandable !

For me the ability to fly seamlessly within Europe between the Regions and Global/Vector, and not need massive storage, is paramount.

So my main ORBX requirement is for a five-season visual world that works with AS/ASCA, and high quality airfields and their environs such as Aarlanda, all of which can be updated by programes like FSAERODATA.

Regards

Chris

2 hours ago, T@X said:

Thinking about this, i didn't retry AFS2 Recently. Has it become more "sim" lately ? I've seen alot of positive opinions about it.

MInd i don't really care about VR at this point. I have a VIVE, but the resolution it's really a party braker for me.

No, not more sim lately and yes, the resolution of VR is awful. I only use it every now and then for a quick 'immersion fix' but for my regular simming I use P3D in 2D and sometimes AFS2 for low and slow GA.

The development of AFS2 is going way too slow. If it wasn't for the Orbx scenery AFS2 would have been uninstalled here. In fact, I mainly reinstalled it a week ago in anticipation of FTX Netherlands. And while I was at it I bought KEGE so I could have some more scenery apart from LOWI. ;) (I like LOWI a lot more than KEGE though...)

BTW The Q400 that can be downloaded for free is a nice addition (I don't know when you tried AFS2 the last time?) and offers some more depth but other than that nothing has really changed in the sim department: still no ATC and don't even get me started on the weather. Still, AFS2 is worth keeping a close eye on.

I take it Photoreal means like Horizon but hopefully with rather more features-the sort of stuff Earth Sim was adding.

If so it is great for areas you know well. Pilots like to see their houses etc...

I would give Holland a go....but the data requirements makes me wonder. If storage facilities increase in capacity then it sounds good. Its not the cost but it would limit the areas we can cope with....as things stand.

Orbx stuff has always been excellent....especially in areas where pin point accuracy isn't so important...like on another continent.

If you used it to enhance the UK...I would love that....I could see my house!

Dont suppose it would mean coastal features like Old Harry, Durdle Door and the Cuillins would be made to appear more real?

While I am on, any plans to enhance Mt Fitz Roy, Machu Piccu, Angel Falls and others in SA? Lots of mountains in SA are wonderfully spiky. I realise its mainly mesh thing.

Space isn't a problem for me... but for people that have smaller drives (even 500gb's)...what you could do to sell this well is make it so people can move it to another drive, because this is to much...most people I see uninstalling most off there products or having to buy a completely new 2tb or 1tb hard drive. 

If you guys make it so they can move it around on there drive's these photoreal regions will sell extremley well. As for the seasons, I prefer summer seasons because off all the greenery. 

I also think you should add in at least, one detailed international airport in the region as some other developer's won't be able to update there products to match the region quickly, and we won't be able to fly domestically because the airport's will look a bit broken...(unless you guys are making it to fit other developer's scenery such as the Zurich airport scenery we have)

I would buy it for 70 max, because it's just asking to much then for a region I don't particulary fly in much. 

15 hours ago, Haydon the Womble said:

I take it Photoreal means like Horizon but hopefully with rather more features-the sort of stuff Earth Sim was adding.

See this topic to get an impression of how things look done the Orbx way:

I would give Holland a go....but the data requirements makes me wonder

I remember reading FTX Netherlands would be around 30 GB. Don't really know if this is just the download size or the installed size.

If you used it to enhance the UK...I would love that....I could see my house!

It has already been announced that photoreal for the UK won't happen: the photoreal images for the UK would cost way too much. Just as it is the case for Norway. Right now only the Netherlands and PNW have been announced.

3 hours ago, maxkillers said:

I also think you should add in at least, one detailed international airport in the region as some other developer's won't be able to update there products to match the region quickly, and we won't be able to fly domestically because the airport's will look a bit broken...(unless you guys are making it to fit other developer's scenery such as the Zurich airport scenery we have)

I would buy it for 70 max

Afaik the FTX Germany (landclass) 3D stuff would also be used for a possible photoreal version so all airports will be updated. You can't expect Orbx to throw in a payware quality airport, for free, specially if you only want to pay 70 max. ;) But besides that, which one would they have to pick? And what's the use of having one great but random airport in an entire country?

1 hour ago, J van E said:

You can't expect Orbx to throw in a payware quality airport, for free, specially if you only want to pay 70 max.

They've done it with Wales ;)

On topic, I only would be interested in a Gemany photoreal with all seasons and I would only get it for P3D or FSW.

14 hours ago, J van E said:

See this topic to get an impression of how things look done the Orbx way:

14 hours ago, J van E said:

I remember reading FTX Netherlands would be around 30 GB. Don't really know if this is just the download size or the installed size.

It has already been announced that photoreal for the UK won't happen: the photoreal images for the UK would cost way too much. Just as it is the case for Norway. Right now only the Netherlands and PNW have been announced.

Afaik the FTX Germany (landclass) 3D stuff would also be used for a possible photoreal version so all airports will be updated. You can't expect Orbx to throw in a payware quality airport, for free, specially if you only want to pay 70 max. ;) But besides that, which one would they have to pick? And what's the use of having one great but random airport in an entire country?

Fair enough about the freware airport thing, I got carried away typing haha, I'm just worried that if I buy another developer's Intl Airport, it will not be compatable with the photoreal region. For it's normal regions (whatever is the opposite off photoreal in this case, 3D?)  it makes sense that other dev's airports will merge it well with the 3d regions but this is a photo real we're talking about... as far as I know the other dev's I buy from have no experience with photo-real, just amazing 3D (I'm talking about Fsdreamteam, flightbeam...) I just hope Orbx has a way too merge the photoreal scenery with other dev's airports...and I'm pretty sure Netherlands was 120gb's as well. I just roughly remember a statement from Orbx saying "All our photoreal sceneries will be 120gb's minimum...or around!". It's going to hurt those people who don't have any drive's bigger then 500gb. Poor fellas!

Archived