Germany Photoreal?

John Venema

Hmm, I'm at a loss really. I adore Orbx, have almost a hundred products, and have supported JV and the gang for the past seven years. However....I am at a loss with the photoreal sceneries and don't know what to think. I have a beefy machine, run P3d V4.1 and have spent almost all of my time trying to get photoreal sceneries to load without delay and without blurries. I don't want to labour this point, as I have posted many posts about my plight, but for me, unless either LM or Orbx change whatever it is that affects this issue, I won't be purchasing any photoreal sceneries. Certainly not full fat regions.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rockliffe said:

Hmm, I'm at a loss really. I adore Orbx, have almost a hundred products, and have supported JV and the gang for the past seven years. However....I am at a loss with the photoreal sceneries and don't know what to think. I have a beefy machine, run P3d V4.1 and have spent almost all of my time trying to get photoreal sceneries to load without delay and without blurries. I don't want to labour this point, as I have posted many posts about my plight, but for me, unless either LM or Orbx change whatever it is that affects this issue, I won't be purchasing any photoreal sceneries. Certainly not full fat regions.

I feel yor pain with blurries, was number one reason that i went over to xplane, the night lightning second. I abonded alot of money invested in esp platforms and it was all worth it, missed orbx though, but now they are coming to xplane so im all set again:)

Definately YES. 

I switched from a "selfmade" Photoreal Scenery to ORBX GES/GEN now. To have all Seasons is great, and i really enjoy the Landclass Products. But iam still waiting for the next professional Photoreal Scenery, with great autogen and landmarks. And it looks like this would be exactly what i was waiting for!

I think many people overlook what Photoreal Sceneries can do, compared to Landclasses. 

Many many years ago i made a private pilote license. When you Really fly GA VFR, you really get used to and have to LOOK OUTSIDE. forget about Compass, GPS, and NAV Instruments. 
You have too look out and feel whats happening, where you are, and where you like to go. 

While flying arround your home area, you notice more and more things that you never noticed on ground before, when travelling with your car etc. You then start to explore so many things around you and in your country, just by looking out of your planes window all day.  

As said before, after i made myself a photoreal scenery i could start discover my surrounding again, just by sitting in Front of My PC. This was such a great oppurtinity! And this is, why i really would love to have a great Photoscenery again, with better Autogen and Landmarks that i have had before. 

Everyone who is flying over FL100 with his Jet (i do this also sometimes) will not have such a huge benefit from a Photoreal Scenery as we GA flyers. Espescially at high airspeeds the loading durations of the Textures can be a downside.  But if you someday decide to step in a Single Piston Plane and experience how it feels to really steer a Plane - HAND FLOWN - then a complete new world may come up for you. 

I use P3D by the way. So Thumbs up for this new Product!

My first stumbling block is downloading such a package. Living in the 'burbs in the second largest city in Australia, it would take me the better part of 3-4 days continuous download to receive the files with my internet connection. So for now, I don't think I would be interested.

11 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

imminent NL scenery.  A decision as to whether to do a PR Germany may be better to be deferred until people have been able to fly NL?

This is definitely a good statement. From my impression glancing through this thread I get the impression some users are equating potoscenery and early Mega Scenery Earth withough autogen, which certainlys isn't fit for VFR these days. The FTX NL preview screenshots give a much better impression what's possbile today (but expectedly will lack the mountain aspect).

Kind regards, Michael

JV,

I’ve been into flight sims since 1981ish and the Photo Real scenery to this point are at best so-so.  Your photos of the upcoming Netherlands is impressive, but so far to this point they are screenshots.  I’m afraid that it might look like a glamour shot of a nice juicy burger and when you get it, it looks nothing like what you thought you ordered.

Personally I would hope Orbx would do one of a couple of things.  1) Release a small sample or demo to show how well it looks on the systems we have. 2) If 1 is not possible, then release a video showing low, middle altitudes.  3) Have seasons show up in either 1 or 2, depending on how Orbx proceeds.  

Orbx is not the only scenery I buy, I like large Mega level airports.  So for me, if the other sceneries I have don’t blend well with the PR products; I will probably stay with the current products.

J Jensen

1 hour ago, StarBlue said:

If 1 is not possible, then release a video showing low, middle altitudes.  3) Have seasons show up in either 1 or 2, depending on how Orbx proceeds.

I think the preview section will provide such videos prior to release, and if not you will find tons of these videos by users on release day. So you will get a good picture whether to buy it or not.

And as stated above i too think the NLPR release day will be the key day when people finally be able to decide if they want more of this stuff.

I suppose we should see how they replicated NL in photo scenery. The previews look superb. If great in Sim, then I am for a P3dv4 replication of Germany North & South with photoscenery including all 5 Seasons :-)

Cheers, Axel

Oh well, that would be a must have not only a nice to have. But for me only for x-Plane.

Together with w2xp- this combination is the final solution. The size does not matter, the price earlier.

Joeair

Not sure if I would go for a photoreal version of Germany. First I'd like to build some personal experience with FTX Netherlands and besides that, having all seasons available would be a prerequisite for me.

I share the concerns above with regards to blurries. I have a 7700k and P3D is on a 1TB NVMe M.2 drive and it still is possible to get blurries (not much though). Would hate it to have it worsened.

Once released I'd have a wait and see attitude until I've read multiple reviews.

I woluld also prefer Orbx concentrating on doing other full regions and airports in Europe. IMHO the following points concerns me:

- GEN and GES are already doing an excellent job

- amount of data > 100GB

- pricing (excellent aerial images are very expensive)

- seasonal adjustments within different regions in Germany

- placement of autogen especially in very dense areas (people will start complaining why this and that building/object is not vivisble)

- look and feel of the aerial pictures due to the fact that you do not get pictures that where done within a short periode for such a huge area (there might be years inbetween)

- changes e.g. new roads etc. can no be made, so you have to stay with pictures for several years which get more and more outdated

But OK, if Orbx can wave all my concerns it might be of interest ;)

It all depends on how FTX Netherlands performs, looks and feels.

I do have full confidence that ORBX will deliver nothing less than high quality, so for Germany I'm all in.

As a dutchbird myself, 2018 will be a more than interesting simming year.

Best wishes from Tulip country.

Well, my requirements are quite simple really;

No matter where in the world I'm flying I want to be able to look out of the screen and know that what I'm looking at is what is there in real life.  I want to see my house, the golfcourse, the coastline and everything else shown accurately.  Also, the birds flying around, horses,cattle and sheep in the fields.  Traffic on the roads (I accept these can't be in real time). 

We've got it with air traffic and weather and its always been a mystery to me why everything else can't be actually real too.

Whatever scenery provides me with that, I'll buy.

John

Last year I bought GEN,  GES, California among others. I only use Prepar 3D V4, but would love the photo scenery for Germany.  I imagine that, for your business case, there are a lot of paying Flight Sim customers in Germany that can afford the product, the disk space and the download speeds needed.I am using the Flight Sim for fun and to learn. I mostly fly (simulated and real)  in Germany and California. I am a VFR pilot flying a Cessna 182 in a flying club south of Munich. See picture attached. Love to have the view in photoreal for Prepar3D for Christmas 2018 

0C7BF5D3-D78B-4E6A-BE0D-4D59B9B4DF77.jpeg

Good day, I use P3D4.1 and x-plane and have almost all titles from Orbx. X-plane with Ortho4xp is pretty well served despite the sources are not commercial but is all free. I have now for the US about 2.5 TB of Ortho's and it is all for free. Well not really because I volunteer significant time/equipment  for seeding  files to the community.

The situation for P3D4 is different, here I have the Austrian products and have been holding from buying the product for Switzerland in hope to get an better solution for Austria, Germany and Switzerland.

In short, I will buy  Orbx Ortho for Germany and hope to get Swiss Ortho too. The transition in winter, as mentioned above, is an important  topic.

My two cents

Cheers and Happy New Year

Luis   

I look forward to seeing what Orbx can accomplish with photo scenery in the Netherlands.  I really like and value the seasonal transitions.  One season photo does not appeal to me and I would probably hold off until  I see a full five season photo scenery and  how it compares to landclass based scenery.  Count me as a wait and see.  I am also a bit concerned about storage requirements if photo regions are the future direction for Orbx regions.  

Thanks for soliciting our opinions and concerns.

For me, one season is enough, but I can understand why some people insist on all seasons. 

Now can we have a compromise. Will 2 seasons be enough if all seasons will be too much work and disk space?

It's Winter now, it will indeed be very frustrating if I see a green world outside the cockpit. But it would be much acceptable if I look at the Summer scenery in Spring or Autumn. 

So if Winter is for Winter, and Summer is for Summer, Spring, and Autumn, will it be OK? 

Germany photoreal - sounds tantalizing, but...

120GB and then I've got 'only' Germany.

Yes, it's fun, crossing over one's own house and garden with an ultralight (I use Austria ProHD to be able to), but a 'wallpaper' on the ground is not all - where's the HOUSE itself?

And, I guess, that's it, where photorealism ends.

And even IF future autogen meets the challenge to show buildings which (at least half-way) resemble their real-world models, will there - at length! - be CHURCHES?

I don't know about Australia (after having been criss-crossing this contintent with a King Air for about one year, plans are growing to visit reald-world's Down-Under and compare it to the FTX scenery), but in Europe, most villages and all towns have at least one church. Their steeples are true visual landmarks for VFR flying - alas, not a sinlge one, not even symbolic ones, anywhere, except for some 'really important' cathedrals in FTX regional sceneries!

OrbX could add a LOT of realism into its sceneries putting (back) churches (and respective 'typical buildings of faith', such as mosques, pagodas,...)

Instead of adding further manpower to a region, which already is (rather) densley covered with FTX-landclass sceneries, I'd prefer to see OrbX continue its widespread portfolio of firstclass-and-stunning landclass sceneries in regions, which are still flightsim native scenery, e.g. openLC- and openLCmeshAsia, openLC- and openLCmeshAfrica, or further regional FTX sceneries (comparable to FTX Germany) for France, Spain/Portugal or for the two mentioned continents.

Ok, so far my two-cents.

Michael.

I am assuming that ORBx would include 3D autogen trees and buildings, and lots of other important landmarks for a photoreal Germany, just like they intend to do with the Netherlands. This isn't just flat photoreal textures we are talking about. This is FULL FAT photoreal.

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I am assuming that ORBx would include 3D autogen trees and buildings, and lots of other important landmarks for a photoreal Germany, just like they intend to do with the Netherlands. This isn't just flat photoreal textures we are talking about. This is FULL FAT photoreal.

You assume correct Chris 

I am not such a fan of photo scenery. I prefer high quality FTX Regions. I have all of them and would buy more if available. The whole Alps incl. rest or parts of France, Switzerland, Italy and Austria in 3 or 4 FTX Regions would be my greatest desire.

As I already own GEN and GES, I won't be purchasing Germany Photoreal. Reason being is that I appreciate the different seasons, so find myself turning off photo scenery about half of the time I fly. That being said, I will be buying Netherlands Photoreal so as to complete my collection of Benelux photo scenery.

I hope that while there is clearly demand for ORBX photoreal, we do not see an end of development of new FTX Regions as they are currently made.

The problem I find with so called photo real is that if you're familiar with the area, you soon discover discrepancies from the actual scenery.

If the scenery was modelled exactly from google earth it would be fine.  Unfortunately, I don't really think that's practical, it would simply take too long to do.

So for me photo real, Orbx fashion, is fine for far away places I'll never get to visit.

John

7 minutes ago, Jetpilot82 said:

Not interested!

but pretty much interested in some very detailed German Cityscapes!

Düsseldorf,Ruhr Area, Cologne, Hamburg, Frankfurt

As the chance for a photoreal Germany seems to be fading away, I think this would be an idea to seriously consider. After all, the rural/ agricultural areas are just fine and the ORBX textures razor-sharp, at least on my system. It's the larger cities which would benefit most from a photoreal treatment.

This  approach might be worth considering even beyond Germany.

Kind regards, Michael

23 minutes ago, pmb said:

As the chance for a photoreal Germany seems to be fading away, I think this would be an idea to seriously consider. After all, the rural/ agricultural areas are just fine and the ORBX textures razor-sharp, at least on my system. It's the larger cities which would benefit most from a photoreal treatment.

This  approach might be worth considering even beyond Germany.

Kind regards, Michael

I agree strongly Michael. Very good recommendations.

Hi John, 

Happy new year to you and to your team from GERMANY ;-) 

May the sales force with you with a good business opportunity this year!!!

Well from my POV it is really a big dream to come true to a real photographic scenery here in Germany in P3D, that it is a very big dream from my friends and me here...

We have collecting such photoreal sceneries so far but with ORBX and seasons PLUS REAL AUTOGEN this will be a really BIG IMPACT FOR REALISM for us. 

AS REAL AS IT GETS !!!!!

PLEASE PROCEED TO CREATE SUCH A PHOTO SCENERY FOR US HERE !!!! :-) 

BEST WISHES FROM GERMANY !!

Pascal-Antoin Ducardus  (....a proud ORBX SUPPORTER) 

Archived