ORBX Trees HD not showing

Hi all,

I am absolutely satisfied with all of my scenery purchased from ORBX, quite amazing actually!

Unfortunately I am having an issue with the ORBX Trees. For some reason, they stop showing after a random amount of time without any settings changed. A weird way to fix this has been for me to uninstall (!) the trees via FTX Central. This usually does not last long though, and after a few flights the trees are back to P3D default again.

My P3Dv4 was just reinstalled from scratch, because of some different and more serious issues I was experiencing, this did not resolve the problem with the trees though. The reinstall was clean, as I followed Lockheed Martin's instructions for deleting all relevant folders to reset all configurations to their absolute default.

For some strange reason, the ORBX trees were back in the simulator before I even activated them via FTX central. There was not a single addon installed or activated after the reinstall, how could this have happened? Did I miss anything in my reinstall? I followed these instructions here. FTX central was not even downloaded again at that time.

Anyway, I launched FTX central afterwards, downloaded and installed all of my ORBX scenery and started testing P3Dv4. Now I've been having no issues with my trees for a few days, until they suddenly started disappearing again. I've tried all sorts of things, activating and deactivating scenery, forcing a reinstall of the ORBX library and reinstalling the trees via FTX central quite a few times. None of this has resolved my issue. Please let me know how I can systematically track down the cause of this issue.

Thanks and best regards,

Daniel

Any other suggestions or support? I've tried to reinstall the trees from FTX central quite a few times now, with no success. The files containing the trees' textures in the Orbx folders (Scripts and User Documents) are at the place they should be in the P3D main folder.

26 minutes ago, shermank said:

Emfbi, but how do we know if HD Trees are showing or not. I have the program installed. What should I look for to make sure the treescinseevare HD from ORBX or something else? Thanks

sherm 

Look at this video. Comparison has been done with default vs ORBX HD trees

Hi Daniel,

verbal descriptions are often quite ambiguous, which is why we prefer to see representative screenshots of an issue. At this point we actually don't know what you mean by "they stop showing after a random amount of time"? What exactly changes, the textures or the models, or do the trees themselves disappear?

Smudger's response assumes it's an issue with the Speedtree models specific to P3Dv4, which are entirely independent of Orbx Trees HD and look very different too: https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/136268-speedtrees-toggle-onoff-for-ftx-in-p3d-v4/?do=findComment&comment=1207209

Is that what changes, or something else?

Our HD Trees are replacement textures for the default "cruciform" (cross-shaped) tree models. After installation, one should see more detail in the foliage and trunks of the various tree species. 

Cheers, Holger

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your quick replies!

1 hour ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Daniel,

verbal descriptions are often quite ambiguous, which is why we prefer to see representative screenshots of an issue. At this point we actually don't know what you mean by "they stop showing after a random amount of time"? What exactly changes, the textures or the models, or do the trees themselves disappear?

Smudger's response assumes it's an issue with the Speedtree models specific to P3Dv4, which are entirely independent of Orbx Trees HD and look very different too: https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/136268-speedtrees-toggle-onoff-for-ftx-in-p3d-v4/?do=findComment&comment=1207209

Is that what changes, or something else?

Our HD Trees are replacement textures for the default "cruciform" (cross-shaped) tree models. After installation, one should see more detail in the foliage and trunks of the various tree species. 

Cheers, Holger

@Holger Sandmann, I will get back to you tomorrow with some screenshots and more detailed information as soon as possible, I'm currently not at my P3D-computer.

Have a nice weekend,

Daniel

Hello everyone,

Thanks to your help I was able to solve the problem (I was still seeing the default trees in P3D instead of the ORBX HD trees, after the installation of ORBX trees). I apologise for my description being a bit unprecise.

The solution was @Smudger's proposal. I was not aware that the sim had to be restarted after changing this option, so I reinstalled the ORBX trees again and then unticked 3D autogen vegetation a few times, follwed by a sim restart. Now I can see the HD trees and everything is fine. I used the video posted by @Mikelab6to verify and be certain - thanks!

21 hours ago, Smudger said:

I seem to recall in the past, a post where somebody said it took a couple of times unticking 3D autogen vegetation for it to work, worth a try.

I know this is not related to this thread, but at this point I would like to give you, @Holger Sandmann, some feedback about the ORBX regions scenery, as a representative of the ORBX developers. I have quite a bit of flying experience in the "real" world in both northern and southern Germany, and I have to say that the level of detail the scenery provides is absolutely incredible! What I like most is the way you decided to upgrade the airports in the regions. Every small airfield I tested, including the glider strips, was modeled in a way that made me feel immersed into that specific place. I'm really having a great time just flying around and admiring all the places I know from reality right now.

Best regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

good to hear you've managed to got HD Trees to appear; it seems odd that sometimes the setting change requires more than one restart to "take" given that it's just a simple parameter change in the Prepar3D.cfg file (AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_TYPE=0 or AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_TYPE=1) but we've heard this from a number of users. 

Many thanks for the kind words regarding GES and GEN. It is quite amazing how our "airport enhancers" manage to meticulously soldier through often hundreds of airports within a given FTX Region only to have to start the same process again with the next Region...

Cheers, Holger

Archived