The magnificent ten.

VH-KDK

That didn't take long then, Martyn! Nice shots, and doesn't she look good in the old BOAC livery. I always thought the VC-10 and the Comet were both perfect examples of what an airliner should look like. All that strapping engines on under the wing always looked like a sort of design afterthought to me (sorry, Boeing, Airbus et al)

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, andy1252 said:

That didn't take long then, Martyn! Nice shots, and doesn't she look good in the old BOAC livery. I always thought the VC-10 and the Comet were both perfect examples of what an airliner should look like. All that strapping engines on under the wing always looked like a sort of design afterthought to me (sorry, Boeing, Airbus et al)

Thank you Andy, the most graceful jetliner ever made IMO.

Also a real plane that made plenty of noise and smoke, I can hear those wonderful Conways in my head even today.

That BOAC livery was the best too. I didn't like the red one very much, not too keen on red!

3 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you Andy, the most graceful jetliner ever made IMO.

Also a real plane that made plenty of noise and smoke, I can hear those wonderful Conways in my head even today.

That BOAC livery was the best too. I didn't like the red one very much, not too keen on red!

Well said Martyn!  It's a real beauty, such clean lines and sleek.  I loved it when I was a kid.  I've always loved British airliners, they thought outside of the box, it seems we Yanks were constrained by the same old formula.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:55 AM, paulb said:

I knew that it would be an early purchase for you Martyn! :)

Hope that it gives you great enjoyment! :)

Thanks Paul, I hope so too, I didn't take much persuasion to buy this one!:lol:

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Well said Martyn!  It's a real beauty, such clean lines and sleek.  I loved it when I was a kid.  I've always loved British airliners, they thought outside of the box, it seems we Yanks were constrained by the same old formula.

Bottom line Jack was that Boeing and Douglas sold hundreds of 707s and DC-8s.

Vickers just made 54 VC-10s.:(

BOAC wanted just 707s but were made to buy the VC-10 as well.

You are right that it was a magnificent looking plane, a bit like a jet Constellation.:lol:

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, Wakashi said:

Excellent shots, but she looks a handfull!  But, of course I'm GA most of the way! B)

Cheers Roger, yeah not your default 738 I think. I will have fun trying to get this back on the ground near the runway for sure!:lol:

A big step up from the Tiger Moth.

23 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Fantastic set of screen shots Martyn and a super aircraft that Vickers vc10 i can remember when they where testing the engines at Vickers in Weybridge  i could hear

the roar from my home of the engines and se it flying over head fantastic aircraft regards stewart 

Cheers Stewart, plenty of memories for me too.

Living very close to Wisley it was a common sight in the early 60s.:P

Wonderful to have it performing in my incapable hands.:lol:

7 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Bottom line Jack was that Boeing and Douglas sold hundreds of 707s and DC-8s.

Vickers just made 54 VC-10s.:(

BOAC wanted just 707s but were made to buy the VC-10 as well.

You are right that it was a magnificent looking plane, a bit like a jet Constellation.:lol:

Well, in my opinion, the 707 and DC-8's were clones.  The VC-10 on the other hand was a work of art.

22 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks Paul, I hope so too, I didn't take much persuasion to buy this one!:lol:

I knew that you would be one of the first purchasers Martyn! ;)

I am going to hold back for now (spending too much money anyway) and hope for a RAF version or livery ;):D

22 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Well, in my opinion, the 707 and DC-8's were clones.  The VC-10 on the other hand was a work of art.

Ok, also we must not forget the Convair 880 and 990s.

Only ever saw one 880 at Gatwick but the Swissair and later Spantax 990s were a common sight.

16 minutes ago, paulb said:

I knew that you would be one of the first purchasers Martyn! ;)

I am going to hold back for now (spending too much money anyway) and hope for a RAF version or livery ;):D

Cheers Paul, I still have a couple to buy in the ORBX sale but I think I will give the CC a rest too especially as I have a few other things I have to spend on.:angry:

4 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Ok, also we must not forget the Convair 880 and 990s.

Only ever saw one 880 at Gatwick but the Swissair and later Spantax 990s were a common sight.

Nice but they still had the engines slung beneath the wings.  I loved the British jest with the double engines in the back like the VC-10 and the jets with the engines built into the wings.  They always reminded me of that cool puppet-type show the Thunderbirds. ;)

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice but they still had the engines slung beneath the wings.  I loved the British jest with the double engines in the back like the VC-10 and the jets with the engines built into the wings.  They always reminded me of that cool puppet-type show the Thunderbirds. ;)

Wasn't The Thunderbirds a great show. A perfect start to Saturday nights tv so long ago.:)

The Andersons created some amazing shows in the 60s considering what they had to work with.

A shame the quality is not good but I think you will get the idea.

14 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Wasn't The Thunderbirds a great show. A perfect start to Saturday nights tv so long ago.:)

The Andersons created some amazing shows in the 60s considering what they had to work with.

A shame the quality is not good but I think you will get the idea.

Well Martyn i went out with Gerry Andersons niece Della Anderson for about a year some time ago now regards stewart   

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:38 AM, stewart1 said:

Well Martyn i went out with Gerry Andersons niece Della Anderson for about a year some time ago now regards stewart   

Interesting story Stewart, I take it there were no strings attached!:wacko:

6 minutes ago, stewart1 said:

Funny did you go back to bed or did you manage to keep awake regards stewart 

Tried to sleep at various times of the day Stewart but only got 10 minutes.

Tonight I feel like I have run a Marathon.:(

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

Tried to sleep at various times of the day Stewart but only got 10 minutes.

Tonight I feel like I have run a Marathon.:(

Well you are showing your age you are no spring chicken like me we are both getting old the trouble is you get over tired you cant sleep like you i was up at 4,30 this morning i woke up first at 2.30 but i managed to go back to sleep regards stewart

11 minutes ago, stewart1 said:

Well you are showing your age you are no spring chicken like me we are both getting old the trouble is you get over tired you cant sleep like you i was up at 4,30 this morning i woke up first at 2.30 but i managed to go back to sleep regards stewart

Very true Stewart but I did surprise people on some of the hikes we did in Thailand recently. We climbed a couple of small mountains and did a long walk along the Burma Railway in boiling heat.:P

Archived