Simflight.de reviews Germany South (German)

Ed Correia

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to Ed and Patrick for sharing this detailed and informative review.  As a relative new comer to the PC hobby, I was thrilled to discover ORBX occasionally and currently has sales that made it possible for me to make FTX Germany South my introductory ORBX purchase.   As an American, I do most of my real and virtual GA flying over the North-East and Mid-West USA, but have many fond memories of Army days flying helicopters low over Northern Bavaria out of the default FSX ignored Illesheim AAF in the early 1990s. 

I was concerned that the modest PC I run FSX-SE on might not be able to handle the impressive graphics the review made so appealing.  The install went much more smoothly than my attempts to load the demo areas, and was so very pleased to discover my old home field was available.  On my first flight, I was amazed to see familiar sights that immediately took me back to my years there, to include seeing fair representations of at least the part of the base closest to the flight line.  Once I took off and got a look around, maybe the most impressive aspect of this FTX became apparent as the fields and farms around the base looked vastly more like the place I flew over than FSX default, without a detectable frame rate loss, and I was then sold on the need to acquire other FTX regions, but just not sure which to go for next (leaning toward FTX-England or Australia). 

I'm still very new to this product, but find that it really shines at type of low level, helicopter contour flying I so enjoyed back in the day.  This is especially so for being able to savor the many points of interest the review mentions and others I've been discovering such as the many castles on the Koblez to Mainz valley of the Rhein.

Bravo and hats off to the ORBX team for bringing us such a quality virtual environment for great value, and making it possible to revisit by virtual helicopter a much misses part of the World.

A very pleased new customer.             

Archived