EU Netherlands Photoreal in XP using Ortho2XP and W2X

John Venema

Just some more shots of very early conceptional and proof of concept Netherlands in XP11 using Ortho2XP and Tony’s W2XP. This work was a predecessor to the FSX/P3D work we are doing for the Netherlands now. Apologies if this post originally gave the impression this was P3Dv4.

eeN4g.jpg

Yn1OQ.jpg

25ZBE.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ORBX team,

The pictures you show are very promissing.

I live only 5 minutes from Rotterdam-The Hague airport and should like to fly even with a commercial license from the park in front of my house (Vroesenpark) to  Rotterdam-The Hague.

airport.

Another company has made Rotterdam-The Hague airport, and this looks ok. However as soon as you out of the area it has nothing to do with Rotterdam anymore. If customers should see this, the immersive feeling should go way down.

Therefor I fly now in Stewart (commercially) and Innsbruck en Milford Sound (private). There are mountaints there (in the Netherlands everything is flat) and if it is not 100% corrrect we will not know this.

If  the Netherlands are becomming so good that customers should say: wow this is Rotterdam and this  Rotterdam-The Hague airport, I will buy the commercial license.

I really hope that ORBX brings the reallity level to the point I can land with my Robinson R22 in front of my house :).

Regards,

Ewout van Linge  (HelisimR22R)

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Incredible JV.  Another day one buy to be sure.  I've never been there but it sure looks beautiful, I never knew it was so flat, kind of like Kansas but nicer.

Yes Jack, our country is flat, very flat and besides that....the western half is below sealevel. But don't worry, we have perfect dikes and dunes and we are used to it ;-)

The highest point in The Netherlands is the Vaalserberg and is 322 m above sea level. It is situated in the very south-east near the Germany and Belgium borders.

Cheers Fred

Vaalserberg

2 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Yes Jack, our country is flat, very flat and besides that....the western half is below sealevel. But don't worry, we have perfect dikes and dunes and we are used to it ;-)

The highest point in The Netherlands is the Vaalserberg and is 322 m above sea level. It is situated in the very south-east near the Germany and Belgium borders.

Cheers Fred

Vaalserberg

Such incredible beauty!  You are most fortunate to live in such a beautiful country!

Looking for more nice spots in The Netherlands....well here are some more:

Naarden-Vesting, notice the symmetry

naarden_thinkstock.jpg?resize=800px:99999px&quality=75

Townhall Gouda

stadhuis_gouda_nederland.jpg?resize=800px:99999px&quality=75

Do I have to say more.... (Kinderdijk)

Kinderdijkse molens

Experiments in architecture.... Rotterdam

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor kubuswoningen rotterdam

Huis aan de drie grachten (House located at three canals) in Amsterdam

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor huis op de drie grachten

etc, etc, etc......

Cheers Fred

Well Jack, there are some drawbacks too ;-)

18 million people on 41.500 km2 (square kilometers)

Over 1000 km traffic jam last Monday (all time high)

The weather can be miserable now and then.....

Nevertheless, I am not complaining and I do like my country.

Fred

2 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Well Jack, there are some drawbacks too ;-)

18 million people on 41.500 km2 (square kilometers)

Over 1000 km traffic jam last Monday (all time high)

The weather can be miserable now and then.....

Nevertheless, I am not complaining and I do like my country.

Fred

Still not as terrible as the Atlanta area.

1500 killed annually on these highways, high crime and no history like Europe has.

I’d rather be there than here and it’s extremely hot and humid here, I call it killing weather because so many succumb to the heat.  105 almost every day for months on end.

Even now, 2 November it’s 75F!  And it’ll be in the 80’s next week.

The more images I see, both from John in the simulator and real ones the more excited for this project I get. What a beautiful country this is! My only visit to Holland was in college many years ago with my classmates and teacher Birgitta in a small old bus from Stockholm, Sweden :) I can still remember the fear in her eyes having to take a class of 30 loud teenagers to another country and the responsibility she had as the only adult. It was very much party in Amsterdam those nights for us kids I remember but damn we bahaved when we had to, and she was very proud of us. Afterwards I remember for her own money on the ferry back to Sweden that night she purchased each and everyone of us students a beer in the bar, how cool was that. In fact this was 22 years ago and I meet this very teacher not long ago for the first time since college and stoped and chatted with her. She was much older and had stoped teaching many years ago but she still remembered our class and the time we had in Amsterdam. I have to say this is by far the best teacher I have ever had! :) Perhaps in part her ispirational business lectures and honest care for every students well beeing and learing was a reason I continued down the finance career path.   

Well, for today two final pictures.... (otherwise the moderators are getting angry ;-))

Enkhuizen, my favorite town at the IJsselmeer, I mentioned earlier.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Nederland op zijn mooist

And typically the Amsterdam houses from above,

This might be interesting for the Orbx developers, because if you want to model the centre of Amsterdam, it has to look like this:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Nederland op zijn mooist

Regards Fred

21 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

If Orbx does what Mr. JV describes it’ll be their best project yet!

Now you can understand why JV, with his Dutch roots, has chosen for The Netherlands ;-)

B.t.w Jack, if you are able to come over one day, I'll show you my country.

Fred

10 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Now you can understand why JV, with his Dutch roots, has chosen for The Netherlands ;-)

B.t.w Jack, if you are able to come over one day, I'll show you my country.

Fred

Fred I’d be honored, I’ve always wanted to see the windmills and tulips and drink that fine beer.  Maybe someday but until then I’ll have a virtual visit the day this is released.  I never knew that about Mr. JV, I read what he wrote and liked how he still speaks a little Dutch.

I’m m really looking forward to this region.

Best to you.

Jack

7 hours ago, John Venema said:

This is P3Dv4

Then you must have posted the wrong shots, because these are definitely from X-Plane. You can even see the classic X-Plane crosshair in the middle, plus the clouds are a dead giveaway :)

6 hours ago, TheNerdyKid4 said:

The clouds, the atmosphere, the draped polygon roads put on top of the photoreal, this is quite clearly X-Plane.

There is quite a thread regarding this building out there in the web. Many people seem truly convinced these pictures are of X-plane, and I have no idea what they are seeing.

14 minutes ago, Gergely Debreceni said:

but hey, its xplane!

zoom in and you can see europe lib facades and other lib objects. screenshot attached, facade and chimney highlighted. 
so no doubt, its xplane. 

facades.png

Sorry, but it is not X Plane.

See Post number 6 in this thread, above.  JV confirms it is P3D V4 after other speculated it was X Plane.

BTW  welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

Ok they are indeed screenshots from X-Plane using Ortho2XP and Tony’s W2XP. Again, apologies to Tony for not acknowledging this and also to everyone for misleading information. I should in future qualify screenshots sent to me before making them public - my bad :( 

These shots were sent to me some time ago during the conceptional and proof of concept stage, and let’s be honest - Ortho4XP is an exceptional tool which I myself have used to look at my home area in XP11. 

We experimented with W2XP - for data analysis, because it allows fast visualisation. In the Netherlands for FSX/P3D, we use very little OSM data because it has lots of errors, namely, if you pay attention to those screenshots, you will see inappropriate trees in the fields. So we refused to use OSM and have obtained other data sources and built our own custom scripts and tech to achieve a better result in FSX/P3D.

I’ll leave this topic up but I’ll edit the title and move it to the General Discussion forum. I won’t shy away from the fact I made a bit of a PR stumble and I’ll leave it open to discussion as long as things remain civil ok?

That said I guess the cat is out of the bag that Orbx is developing for XP (I revealed this in a recent interview at Cosford FlightSim show), and I would be interested to hear if there is interest in a NetherlandsXP as a payware product with all the usual Orbx 3D POIs modelled etc?

Just to clarify - we are not using Ortho2XP or W2XP for P3D development at all. We are not in the habit of using freeware community tools to develop payware, that is not acceptable. As I've said above, we found OSM data to be too error-prone and inconsistent so we are using our own proprietary in-house tools to create this region for FSX/P3D. There is some OSM used but not a lot.

Just to clarify here, my version of W2XP (unreleased) can use any data you give it, I experimented with the Shapes3D data for the Netherlands which I presume you guys also used for your P3D shots, as it contains height information. I used third-party data for Denmark, the UK and Norway, etc...

OSM data is way too patchy to be useful sadly, although it can be very good.  Good free data is hard to come by or very expensive. 

Archived