Now my hardware is prepared for Prepar3d...

Stillwater

RAM upgraded to 16 GB. GPU upgraded to GeForce 1060 (6GB). Additional SSD installed (my old 128 GB). Hardware check done above Hervey Bay:

2017-10-31_15-30Geforce1060.jpg
2017-10-31_15-32HerveyBay.jpg

Now my plan is to uninstall FSX on the D-drive and have a new barebone installation of FSX on the small E-drive (Just FSX and orbx) - as a fallback.

Next step will be installation of P3D on the empty D-drive (as much as P3D allows to be on another drive than C).

Any hints from you how I can do this setting up in the quickest way (especially I would like to avoid downloading my 224 GB of orbx stuff)?

Hello.

Leave your FSX installation alone until you have installed P3D,

then FTX Central will get most of the files from your FSX installation

and only download the P3D specific files.

P3D can be installed anywhere, look for the custom options in the installer.

+1 what Nick says! :)

The only other thought that comes to mind Gerold is - do you have many FSX aircraft or repaints that you don't want to lose? If so (assuming that you will be doing a fresh install of FSX) then it might be worth backing them up before you delete FSX?

I hope your transition goes well Gerold ; just reach out if you need any help at all . Once you have everything up and running in P3D , this program is a great addition to enhancing it :

https://simtweaks.com/ .

It is very easy to use and our friend Adam on the forum has great page devoted to it : http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA

Cheers

John

Best of luck Gerold and welcome to a whole new world.

Plenty of willing help on here if you happen to get into strife.

This is what I like about this forum!:D

3 hours ago, paulb said:

The only other thought that comes to mind Gerold is - do you have many FSX aircraft or repaints that you don't want to lose? If so (assuming that you will be doing a fresh install of FSX) then it might be worth backing them up before you delete FSX?

I have everything backed up and neatly filed on an external HDD so I can find what I am looking for quite easily.

Always a good idea especially with the freeware.

I also have my FSX with the OZx installed on an external HDD and it works really well.

Before I had FSX on Drive C which meant I was limited for space but now I can throw anything on there without too much fear!

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I have everything backed up and neatly filed on an external HDD so I can find what I am looking for quite easily.

I also have my FSX with the OZx installed on an external HDD and it works really well.

Before I had FSX on Drive C which meant I was limited for space but now I can throw anything on there without too much fear!

I agree Martyn re an external HD for backup. I have all of my old downloads saved there.

In fact Gerold, you could do a copy and paste of your current FSX install onto one? FSX wouldn't work from just a copy and paste as you need files installed on your operating system drive, but it would give you access to all of your old aircraft and repaints should you wish to add them to your new install later.

A couple of further thoughts Gerold, assuming that you have FSX and Acceleration.

From memory, I think that the normal process is to install FSX and run it once. Then install Acceleration.

Also best to do a proper uninstall of your current FSX when the time comes and not just a simple delete. But as Nick said above, don't do anything to your current FSX until you have installed P3D and all of your Orbx scenery.

Mates, I must say I am totally overwhelmed by your numerous quick and constructive hints. I am glad to be in this community!

14 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello.

Leave your FSX installation alone until you have installed P3D,

then FTX Central will get most of the files from your FSX installation

and only download the P3D specific files.

P3D can be installed anywhere, look for the custom options in the installer.

Thanks Nick, this will be my procedure.

11 hours ago, lifejogger said:

You should have no trouble running P3D V4 with that set up.  My P3D V4  runs okay on my computer with a lot less than what you have.

Another motivating comment, John. Makes me look positively into the near future.

14 hours ago, paulb said:

Thanks Paul - I forgot to say that I already did a full backup of my FSX and the utilities (Plan-G, Flight Keeper, ...) over the weekend...

5 hours ago, paulb said:

I agree Martyn re an external HD for backup. I have all of my old downloads saved there.

In fact Gerold, you could do a copy and paste of your current FSX install onto one? FSX wouldn't work from just a copy and paste as you need files installed on your operating system drive, but it would give you access to all of your old aircraft and repaints should you wish to add them to your new install later.

... and that is where I do have my backup already. Took some hours to copy, as the HDD is quite slow compared to what you use today...

11 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you for your confirmations Martyn. In fact I not only have the Sim fully backed up, but also all installers I ever used. Though I do not have much freeware (it would be just too many to maintain the installation, me thinks).

4 hours ago, paulb said:

A couple of further thoughts Gerold, assuming that you have FSX and Acceleration.

From memory, I think that the normal process is to install FSX and run it once. Then install Acceleration.

Also best to do a proper uninstall of your current FSX when the time comes and not just a simple delete. But as Nick said above, don't do anything to your current FSX until you have installed P3D and all of your Orbx scenery.

I´ll consider these thoughts also, when it comes to FSX deinstallation & move.

As my fallback-FSX should be a much smaller installation than today, I will delete all add-ons from it that work properly in P3D. Piece by piece that should make FSX lean enough to reside on a 128 GB disc (again).

14 hours ago, BradB said:

I hope your transition goes well Gerold ; just reach out if you need any help at all . Once you have everything up and running in P3D , this program is a great addition to enhancing it :

https://simtweaks.com/ .

It is very easy to use and our friend Adam on the forum has great page devoted to it : http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA

Cheers

John

Ah, the PTA successor? Next level for me, John, slowly, slowly...

Once again, thanks to all of you for your hints. I feel safe enough in this crowd now!

3 hours ago, BradB said:

Gerold it sounds like you have a plan to execute for your new installation of P3D . Here is a link for the bible on P3D by Elaine from our forum :

Cheers

John

OMG, this will take time to digest. But I feel it is wise to read first, and install/deinstall/configure later, unlike with any new plane...:D

Archived