Time for migrant birds to head south...

Stillwater

That means doing a long ride from Anchorage...

2017-9-15_18-4PANC.jpg
2017-9-15_18-6Anchorage.jpg

... to Honolulu.

2017-9-15_20-11PHNL.jpg
2017-9-15_20-16-28-699.jpg

Just some memories for Sniper.

2017-9-15_20-21PearlHarbour.jpg

Hit the spot.

2017-9-15_20-22spot.jpg

Great to see the Alaskan cargo has been safely stowed in the trusty 772.

2017-9-15_20-30Alaskacargo.jpg

Maybe the next flight offers the chance to use a more colorful bird.

Thanks for the nostalgia Gerold. You just about flew over where I used to be based at when I was still in Hawaii. While there, I worked for a joint agency on Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam, and my office was right next to the flightline. It was so frustrating all the awesome real world pictures that I could have taken every day, right from my desk, but could not take legally. At least once a day I saw a plane sitting on the tarmac or taxiing by that made me think "Wow, I bet the Orbx Forum gang would love this...if only....". It was the perfect plane spotting position, as the base shares the runways with Honolulu Intl. Many is the day when I would look out my desk window and see an F-22 roll by followed by a JAL 747, or some other jumbo jet headed to the far East. As a flight sim junkie, that is one thing I do will miss about being stationed in Hawaii.

25 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Thanks for the nostalgia Gerold. You just about flew over where I used to be based at when I was still in Hawaii. While there, I worked for a joint agency on Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam, and my office was right next to the flightline. It was so frustrating all the awesome real world pictures that I could have taken every day, right from my desk, but could not take legally. At least once a day I saw a plane sitting on the tarmac or taxiing by that made me think "Wow, I bet the Orbx Forum gang would love this...if only....". It was the perfect plane spotting position, as the base shares the runways with Honolulu Intl. Many is the day when I would look out my desk window and see an F-22 roll by followed by a JAL 747, or some other jumbo jet headed to the far East. As a flight sim junkie, that is one thing I do will miss about being stationed in Hawaii.

Many years ago my golfing buddies and I played Hickam , I guess its called Mamala Bay now . It was a bucket list spot for plane spotting for sure .

John

15 minutes ago, BradB said:

I guess its called Mamala Bay now

Yes, it is called Mamala Bay course now, and Yes, it is a great spot for plane spotting as well. The course actually sits between the two main runways. There is a taxiway that goes out to runway 8R. The tee box for, if I remember correctly, the 15th or 16th hole sits right next to this taxiway. More than a few times, as I was about to tee off a large passenger jet would be rolling past, right behind me during my back swing. Crazy experience. Also, right next to that fairway for that hole is a road (Worcester Ave) that runs all along the edge of the golf course. The road also goes underneath that same taxiway. I did lots of cycling on the base, and that road is a great road for cycling (minimal traffic). I do have a picture of my girlfriend on her bike about to go under the taxiway right when a large passenger jet is rolling overhead. I was several meters back and quickly pulled my phone out to snap a pic. Let me see if I can find that pic and if so, I will post it here (if it's okay with Gerold...this is his thread after all) :) 

21 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I like them all but the first two with Orbx's Anchorage in fall is beautiful.  Leaves already changing here in Georgia and it's just as pretty.  Nice ones Gerold!

Thank you Jack for the info. Here in south lower saxony it is still green, but it will change the next days...

21 hours ago, Anthin Delahunt said:

Lovely shots Gerold. Especially

1 and 2.

Anthin.

Thanks Anthin. Well, #1 and 2 are full fat orbx region, in contrast to the rest.

21 hours ago, paulb said:

Well done Gerold! Great shots :).

Thanks Paul, for the compliment!

16 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

I knew it would be good memories for you, Sniper, and I have to say "thanks" for sharing them with us!

Must have been great views, but I have a certain understanding why one does not post F-22 spotter pics...B).

15 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Let me see if I can find that pic and if so, I will post it here (if it's okay with Gerold...this is his thread after all) :) 

Sure it is ok for me seeing nice RL views here! And I think anybody else would be with me...

15 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Nice shots Gerold, I love the big birds.

cheers

Gumby

Yep, from time to time you need to fly them. And the PMDGs are really a pleasure.

14 hours ago, adambar said:

Fantasitc flight and shots Gerold! :)

Thanks Adam!

14 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Awesome shots Gerold!!!!!!

Thank you John.

8 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Magnificent set Gerold and that third one is brilliant.

Not a bad place to head for over winter either.

Some great stories with this post too, just what helps to make this forum special.:)

Should be already a good place to stay for winter, albait only in RL I suppose. The simmer in me is surely going a bit further, soon...

I share your opinion re the stories here: That is what this forum is about.

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Sure it is ok for me seeing nice RL views here! And I think anybody else would be with me...

Okay Gerold, here is the picture: 

Taken last year sometime, on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, next to Mamala Golf Course. The Hawaiian Airlines plane is on the taxiway headed out to Rwy 8R, Honolulu Intl. Girl on the bike is my girlfriend Rachel.

x4jXDZe.jpg

Archived