On to Athens

Mickel

Rome to Athens, all these are from Greek airspace.

2017-8-31_10-36-30-307.jpg

2017-8-31_10-47-14-580.jpg

2017-8-31_11-2-12-26.jpg

2017-8-31_11-48-42-252.jpg

2017-8-31_12-3-51-923.jpg

Realised after landing I was short the last lot of flap, but with the head wind I had it didn't really matter.  Probably on to Beirut next, which in it's day was the French Riviera of the Middle East.  Apparently it's on its way back.

Thanks guys.  Jack, I'm finding it pretty engaging.  Fuel management was the first gotcha I ran into.  I believe others found theirs with the pressurisation system, but I'd been stung on another a/c with that, so was all good!  I'm starting to relieve the FE from some of his tasks.  There doesn't seem to be anything too complicated in what he does.

I might get around the world in it. I'm sticking to historic routes (there are hundreds) with the appropriate available livery.  I haven't checked what options I have for getting from the Middle East to Hong Kong, Japan or Australia (where I know I can get further east from). I'm guessing Pan Am will be my only way through.  In the meantime, I'm happy sticking to the OLC/region covered areas.  Hanging around at a third of the altitude and not much more than half the speed of the jet liners means I see more of the world going by.

I made it to Cyprus last night, and will hop over to Beirut today.  They're night flights, so nothing much to see, other than the landing lights splashing on the props (which looks pretty cool).  Then it will be back to Athens.

I have a friend in the UK doing the around world flight in this plane.  He's reading the manual while flying at the same time.  I learned about the cabin pressure the hard way too but knew what happened right away as A2A does this too which I really like as it makes for a more realistic flight.

I still have to learn the fuel system better though, especially when to change tanks and which one to change to and there's a cross feed valve in there somewhere too.

The way I drive the fuel (which looks like as per manual), is get to cruise then:

Fuel pumps on low for 1 & 4, then switch 1 & 4 to aux, pumps off again

Once the 2 & 3 mains are down to the same fuel as 1 & 4, switch them to aux as well.  Levels in the aux tanks should now be about the same as well

Once all the aux tanks are as close to zero as you dare go, switch them all back to mains.  With luck, they will still have fuel when you park.  :P  I find PFPX gets me pretty close - usually within a couple of hundred pounds of forecast, which is close enough for this kiwi.

Cross feed would only be needed when the tanks are close to full, when the inboard aux tanks have got a lot more fuel in them.  I've not done a flight long enough to need to carry all that gas - ~3 hours tops so far.  I'll work out the cross feed later.

14 hours ago, Mickel said:

The way I drive the fuel (which looks like as per manual), is get to cruise then:

Fuel pumps on low for 1 & 4, then switch 1 & 4 to aux, pumps off again

Once the 2 & 3 mains are down to the same fuel as 1 & 4, switch them to aux as well.  Levels in the aux tanks should now be about the same as well

Once all the aux tanks are as close to zero as you dare go, switch them all back to mains.  With luck, they will still have fuel when you park.  :P  I find PFPX gets me pretty close - usually within a couple of hundred pounds of forecast, which is close enough for this kiwi.

Cross feed would only be needed when the tanks are close to full, when the inboard aux tanks have got a lot more fuel in them.  I've not done a flight long enough to need to carry all that gas - ~3 hours tops so far.  I'll work out the cross feed later.

Thanks for that tip Mickel!

Archived