Reinstall required - do I stay with FSX or move to P3D?

Stillwater

After struggling for nearly 2 months with my FSX appearance http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/137448-texture-mismatch-in-socal/ I am now resigning and ready for a complete reinstall. Which brings me to the question of this post title.

But you may be influencing me in this decision:

1. Do you think my hardware (described in the spoiler below) is already sufficient or would I need to upgrade a bit?
  2. Is the beloved OZx scenery working in P3d, would it need a trick to get it running?
  3. The same question for RTMM freeware, is it working?
  4. I think Henrik Nielsens famous ships will work. What about WorldOfAI-plane traffic?

I fear I would have to re-purchase some of my planes (like PMDG), I am sure I can check this in some other forums. But I trust you most regarding the first 3 questions above. Do not hesitate to comment!

Some partial answers.

- Your system in general will do, but not with all sliders maxed. The weakest link IMHO is the Sapphire 2GB which would have to be replaced by a Nvidia 4 GB, better 6 GB adapter.

- Henrik Nielsens ships work, I use them. I leave it to others to comment on WOAI, I use UTLive which works (for me).

In general, I would suggest the jump rather sooner than later.

Kind regards, Michael

Gerold, in general I concur with what has been said already. I'm not yet fully converted to P3D v4, as my set-up with v3.4 works flawlessly. The other reason for me not jumping ship now is the fact that many of my freeware and some of my payware planes (Captain Sim) do not (yet?) work in v4.

As Michael already said, in your situation I would make the move too. Good luck !

Hi Gerold, I'd make the jump to V4.

1. No more OOM's - What's more important, flying or flying and even remotely having to think abut VAS?

2. I'm sure you've seen a lot of companies stating they will no longer support anything but V4.

3. I agree with Michael, you may need to dial back the sliders.

4. As for add-ons.  I knew going into a 64 bit sim I'd lose stuff but it's not a deal breaker to me.  I don't really care, all I had to re-buy so far was the PMDG NGX which I had for FSX, and the $20 upgrade for the beloved GTN750, and Ultimate Traffic.

5. No more OOM's or VAS.

6. It's here, it's the future.

7. Yes, the AI ships work great in my V4.

8. I don't use RTTM so I can't advise you on that.

9. Did mention no more VAS or OOM worries?

Tough decision my friend ain't it?

Good luck in whatever you do.

Oh, one more thing, do like I do, I have two external hard drives and I use a very good global backup program on it.  I don't do anything to my PC or sim unless and until I do a complete backup.  It has saved me months of hassles.

Best to you,

Jack

On 19.8.2017 at 6:54 PM, mhlarsen said:

Thanks for your input Michael, that will make me move faster...

On 19.8.2017 at 6:55 PM, pmb said:

Some partial answers.

- Your system in general will do, but not with all sliders maxed. The weakest link IMHO is the Sapphire 2GB which would have to be replaced by a Nvidia 4 GB, better 6 GB adapter.

- Henrik Nielsens ships work, I use them. I leave it to others to comment on WOAI, I use UTLive which works (for me).

In general, I would suggest the jump rather sooner than later.

Kind regards, Michael

Same as above, thanks for your informations and the suggestion Michael. I am now already checking the graphic card market...

On 19.8.2017 at 8:39 PM, bernd1151 said:

Gerold, in general I concur with what has been said already. I'm not yet fully converted to P3D v4, as my set-up with v3.4 works flawlessly. The other reason for me not jumping ship now is the fact that many of my freeware and some of my payware planes (Captain Sim) do not (yet?) work in v4.

As Michael already said, in your situation I would make the move too. Good luck !

Thanks for your evaluation, I think you hit an important point, Bernd.

On 19.8.2017 at 8:58 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Gerold, I'd make the jump to V4.

1. No more OOM's - What's more important, flying or flying and even remotely having to think abut VAS?

2. I'm sure you've seen a lot of companies stating they will no longer support anything but V4.

3. I agree with Michael, you may need to dial back the sliders.

4. As for add-ons.  I knew going into a 64 bit sim I'd lose stuff but it's not a deal breaker to me.  I don't really care, all I had to re-buy so far was the PMDG NGX which I had for FSX, and the $20 upgrade for the beloved GTN750, and Ultimate Traffic.

5. No more OOM's or VAS.

6. It's here, it's the future.

7. Yes, the AI ships work great in my V4.

8. I don't use RTTM so I can't advise you on that.

9. Did mention no more VAS or OOM worries?

Tough decision my friend ain't it?

Good luck in whatever you do.

Oh, one more thing, do like I do, I have two external hard drives and I use a very good global backup program on it.  I don't do anything to my PC or sim unless and until I do a complete backup.  It has saved me months of hassles.

Best to you,

Jack

Thanks for your informations & opinion, Jack.

After all, my plan would be the total move: Give up & delete FSX totally, and go for P3Dv4 only. But I do not want to jump into that water without preparation, even not in an estimated state of emergency (issues with FSX setup). I am currently checking all my add-ons, if (and at which cost) the can be transferred, or if I can accept to loose some of them (my home airport Hannover seems not to be v4 ready, which would be a showstopper for me). That takes time - time I can use to let graphic card prices get out of the mining trouble.

So you´ll see some FSX screenies from me in the coming months, still. But I get more and more prepared...

8 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

ons, if (and at which cost) the can be transferred, or if I can accept to loose some of them (my home airport Hannover seems not to be v4 ready, which would be a showstopper for me). That takes time - time I can use to let graphic card prices get out of the mining trouble.

If you really need Hannover, there is a recent mod by Simmershome

http://simmershome.de/eddv-hannover-p3d-v-4-mod-ab-22-08-2017-online/

Needs a bit of patience to install (I didn't find the time yet) but looks great. 

Kind regards, Michael

9 minutes ago, pmb said:

If you really need Hannover, there is a recent mod by Simmershome

http://simmershome.de/eddv-hannover-p3d-v-4-mod-ab-22-08-2017-online/

Needs a bit of patience to install (I didn't find the time yet) but looks great. 

Kind regards, Michael

Mmmmh, I will have a look. At least I already have an account there.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Well, do you have a 64 bit system?  If answer is yes, go to P3D V4. You won't be disappointed. 

I will do, mates. But with a good & careful preparation - my speed to change is a bit slower than yours... :D!

3 hours ago, xxd09 said:

Hi Stillwater

My contribution 

RTMM works across all the platforms

I have it working in FSX,P3Dv3.4 and P3Dv4

xxd09

Aaah, very good to read that, xxd!

3 hours ago, teecee said:

There are still some items that will not work in Pre

... and that is what I expect - probably most of us do. To me the key is checking out that all my "must-haves" work, before I jump. And, for sure, that this move will become too expensive. I am happy that I can take my time...

All good suggestions here Gerold.   Only thing I could add is that when you make the switch be sure to keep FSX at first so FTXCentral can use a lot of the Orbx files while installing sceneries to P3Dv4.  This way Central only has to find the files needed to update your FSX files to P3Dv4 and not have to download the entire lot.

Rob's suggestion is right on. Don't delete the FSX install until P3D is installed. I just did a complete reinstall of P3Dv4 (all ORBX products) with FSX already installed and the total downloaded for everything was only 9.1GB..........Doug

Also, you might want to use FSX to transition to the new sim, while you wait for add-ons to be available or ready for you to purchase. Otherwise you might be frustrated by the lack of eye candy you had in FSX. One example is Orbx are still working on their airports. Very few are available for P3dV4. 

Why not enjoy them in FSX while you wait. 

I have moved my FSX to V3 with very few problems with my legacy aircraft or scenery. 

V3 is an excellent replacement for FSX and will run all Orbx products without effort.  It is smoother and has better memory management than FSX.  

I now routinely make 2 to 3 hour flights over all types of terrain without OOM, a feat that was hard to do flying FSX.

Now V4  is a different bird.

It does not like products that were not compiled using the V4 compiler. 

That does not mean that legacy products will not work, it just means that you will have to make them work and that they will not be able to take full advantage of all of the V4 features.  This is why I no longer purchase or download addon's that are not V4 compatible.

Even though there are a ton of great V4 airports available from OPS (other peoples scenery) I am waiting for the release of the Orbx Airports before V4 becomes my primary sim. I fly in the Orbx World and need the Orbx look and feel to be happy.

Once that happens, I am sure that I will only use V3 to fly those aircraft that will not work in V4, and because of that, V3 will always be on my machine.

I have spent way too much money on FSX aircraft to throw them into the trash.   

Dale

On 23.8.2017 at 9:40 PM, Rob Abernathy said:

All good suggestions here Gerold.   Only thing I could add is that when you make the switch be sure to keep FSX at first so FTXCentral can use a lot of the Orbx files while installing sceneries to P3Dv4.  This way Central only has to find the files needed to update your FSX files to P3Dv4 and not have to download the entire lot.

On 23.8.2017 at 10:27 PM, Triplane said:

Rob's suggestion is right on. Don't delete the FSX install until P3D is installed. I just did a complete reinstall of P3Dv4 (all ORBX products) with FSX already installed and the total downloaded for everything was only 9.1GB..........Doug

22 hours ago, pphibbs said:

Also, you might want to use FSX to transition to the new sim, while you wait for add-ons to be available or ready for you to purchase. Otherwise you might be frustrated by the lack of eye candy you had in FSX. One example is Orbx are still working on their airports. Very few are available for P3dV4. 

Why not enjoy them in FSX while you wait. 

Meanwhile I have also come to the decision to keep a running FSX for some time in parallel... I can even install an old SSD to do so. Reading, learning - and being thankful to hints like yours!

4 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

Now V4  is a different bird.

This is why I no longer purchase or download addon's that are not V4 compatible.

I have spent way too much money on FSX aircraft to throw them into the trash.   

Dale

I do the same, so my spendings really went down since beginning of this year (except for Orbx, as I am sure this will not be a problem in mid-term).

And I feel the same on my spendings on FSX add-ons. Plus, I hesitate even more with providers that charge significantly for or even do not adapt their products for v4.

Archived