HD laptop

alan2

Its crunch time for me. Running out of room on my hd ...laptop Dell 1720.

There is a thread here that I cant find and within that somebody was saying that it is possible to plug in an external fsx HD that will work. All it needed was some kind of adaptor....I trying to chase this up to get myself up and running.

I may already have the answer here but not sure. I have a Targus Docking station Express card that has 4 high speed usb 2.0 ports, amongst others. Would this do the job. ?  If so I guess the best thing to do is to use a SSD , plug that in and ..bob's ya uncle !  Is this the case ?

Hope someone can help ....thanks  :)     

Alan,

Being laptop bound myself I do a lot of research as I am always looking for the next option,  Basically if you are looking to go external HDD, you would need to use your SATA port if your 1720 has one, I have one that I have never used but I am assured that the data transfer rate is about the same as writing to an internal drive.  USB 2.0 is extremely slow, I have an external HDD I used for backup and it takes forever to transfer large FS files like aircraft backups etc.

What I did was go from 500 GB to 1TB in HDD space by replacing both my drives with some new WD 7200's, I would have loved to be able to afford 10,000 RPM velociraptor type drives but that was way above what I was willing to spend.  The write speed is sufficient in raid 0 and I have more than enough space for everything with that, or you can just get 2x250's and maybe get 10,000RPM models, as thats a whole extra 120 GB for you storage wise but of course would require you to reinstall your whole OS and FSX setup.  I will only endeavour to do that one more time when I finally secure an M1730 for a decent price.

Thanks Ryan,

Living and learning ! the only reason I use computers is for fsx. :D. Well, I didn't realise I had an extra compartment for another HD. Also it seems I can get another 1GB of ram into this thing -making a total of 4 GB.

Just to reply and acknowlege your response Ryan ,  Now that I know that I can expand the HD space I will see if I can get a 1TB happenening. Need to do some investigating and learning first but there's obviously light at the end of this tunnel .

Can you operate fsx from 2 drives ? 

I'm wondering whether its possible to do a little tweaking on laptops such as mild o/c or fsb twiddling without inducing heat or other  non cfg tweaks

cheers

Archived