Coolangatta Airport YBCG

TnB

I was wondering why ORBX havent released this airport as yet. I am sure a lot are in the same mind. There are others in good old Auzzie I would like to be looked at. ie. Hobart, Perth and Townsville to mention a few.

So how about it ORBX! We do luv your stuff...

I must admit, I'm amazed that Perth has never been released as its the only international passenger terminal in Western Australia; especially as we already have Cairns, Brisbane and Melbourne and a Canberra landscape......... although of course, we also don't have Sydney, Adelaide or Hobart.

Maybe Perth (YPPH) will be available in the future, especially as it's status in Australia will change now....... it is the only airport in Australia able to supply non-stop flights from the UK / Europe to Australia.

Amen to that.....the Gold Coast is Australia's sixth biggest city:  a huge tourist destination like the Florida Coast but far better surf: a challenging RNP or VOR;DME approach, and a fun design for the dev to reproduce.  Not only is it served by all local airlines, A303s and 787 from overseas lines use the airport seasonally and regularly.  The runway is too short for the B777 and QOTS - nearby YBBN handles those.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that there's an intention by ORBX to redo Australia and the airports as they are someway behind the quality of the current items being released.... maybe at that time, they'll also consider including a few more airports too :)

I would buy Hobart and Coolangatta airports in a heartbeat.  They are my most popular destinations (home and the gold coast) in reality.

Sydney was done by FlyTampa and there is probably no point in redoing it.

In an answer to a question once, JV said that a re-make of Australia would be done.  The existing Australia is the original four regions 'sewn' together...and in places the boundary between the old regions is not only obvious, but very unreal.  However I would guess it is down the priority list.

But it would be fantastic to have Cooly, and sure, the other remaining majors done.

Orbx are good marketers, but I think the widespread use of the PMDG and Aersoft airliners means that the larger airports rather than the secondary and smaller have now become the most popular. So YBCG, Hobart, Adelaide and Perth would be fantastic.

I have found v4 is sensitive to some old airports and can put the whole installation at risk.  After a huge re installation I am cautious about what I introduce that isn't written for v4.

3 hours ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

It has been said before ...... Australian airports are off the menu because there is not enough money to be made. So don't hold your breath waiting for Coolangatta.

Pat, please refrain from beating this drum of yours. Perhaps a change of attitude may actually find more sympathy rather than holding up the "it's all about money" card repeatedly.

As it happens we have already begun substantial work on FTX Australia V2 and there are also some major projects in the works in Oz. However, if you feel we're doing it just for the money then maybe we shouldn't bother?

We were going to do YBCG at one stage but then Robin Corn in NZ said he was working on it so I dropped plans. That was quite a few years ago so perhaps we will revisit this and assign it to one of our developers, maybe Matteo - he likes airports of that size. We have access to amazing 10cm imagery for the area.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

By the way, if anyone can get us access to airside for photos at Cooly that would go a long way to getting it done.

I was there a few years ago. I can see what I can dig up. Took some videos at the airport as well, right up to the fence (behind the skateboard park). 

Its a cool approach because its a visual, and because of noise abatement you can't do a direct in approach. Oh, and also large aircraft land there -- A330 (AirAsia), 777 (Scoot); they land pretty damn hard to make it it :)

One of the videos I took: 

And yes, I would buy this in a heartbeat -- the freeware version isn't cutting it right now.

JV:  thanks for straightening that out.  

I live on the Coast and will try and get some airside shots for you.  At least you have one advantage, there are no jetways, but an ILS is being installed which will be in use in the time it takes you to build the airport.

I recalled what you said about Aus v2, and that will be great.

If we can get ground photography then I can commit to making this a product. We'll also release a companion payware Cityscape addon (like we did for Canberra) for all of the Gold Coast region from Chinderah up to Sanctuary Cove, inland up to the M1.

26 minutes ago, John Venema said:

If we can get ground photography then I can commit to making this a product. We'll also release a companion payware Cityscape addon (like we did for Canberra) for all of the Gold Coast region from Chinderah up to Sanctuary Cove, inland up to the M1.

Best news I have heard in a long time....Rep for you sir! 

Can I also suggest the Tweed Head lighthouse (Fingel Head, right next to the Airport) -- sentimental value here, took some wedding photos there :)

Cheers. 

11 hours ago, macca22au said:

Amen to that.....the Gold Coast is Australia's sixth biggest city:  a huge tourist destination like the Florida Coast but far better surf: a challenging RNP or VOR;DME approach, and a fun design for the dev to reproduce.  Not only is it served by all local airlines, A303s and 787 from overseas lines use the airport seasonally and regularly.  The runway is too short for the B777 and QOTS - nearby YBBN handles those.

Handles the 777 pretty well.

Scoot_Boeing_777-200ER_landing_at_Gold_C

OK we now have Matteo on board, just checking with our imagery supplier for the airport surrounds. He's good to start on this within a few weeks after his current (unannounced) airport project is released.

Remember, any airside photos (or any photos in the airport area) will help Matteo enormously.

Given Matteo's development speed track record this could well be an xmas present for you Aussies :) 

5 hours ago, tmarshall said:

Any plans for YPPH John?

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

YPPH would be a Jarrad Marshall project since he lives there and I think his focus is on Europe right now.

YPPH is never too far from my thoughts :) But as John says, my schedule is quite full for the moment. 

Cheers

Great thread, and some great news. It's a pity Pat got jumped on, I believe he was only making a point that Orbx have to create stuff that will make a profit, a point that has been made many times before, and not being critical. Teecee.

I read the first post thinking "here we go again", then a few posts down John is saying Matteo is on board to go with it! I live under the approach to runway 32 and never thought this would happen. Happy days! 

BTW Scoot fly exclusive 787-9's into the Gold Coast now.

Cheers Graeme

Good news about YBCG and Hobart :) being on the agenda. Sound like terrific packages.

Can I humbly ask where the update of YSCB airport is on the agenda? I enjoy exploring the National Capitol's surrounds and the fine detail but the Terminal and tarmac depicted in the scenery (and depicted in the banner on the product page currently being sold) was pulled down in 2010.

An update is foreshadowed in the YSCB manual. I was just wondering where it was on the busy agenda? Please keep up the good work.

Aussie.

20 minutes ago, macca22au said:

OmniAtlas:  I am happy to be wrong on the B777 and also congratulations on a great shot. Fantastic picture.

Great catch of the so-far useless desalination plant.

JV great response and great news.

Hah - not my picture, sorry, it was on wikipedia, creative commons. I should have cited. 

I will post up some pictures from my camera/iphone which I took 3-4 years ago. 

9 hours ago, John Venema said:

Hobart is on the agenda ;)

I may have just let out a squeel of excitement!

A new Gold Coast would be nice.

But I literally dream of an Orbx Hobart YMHB.

Not even being from the great Land Down Under, I am still overjoyed by the news in this thread :) Way back when I first started with Orbx, the only FTX scenery was for Australia....and I have loved it ever since! I consider Australia and Tasmania my sim home away from home. It will be so nice to get some new scenery developed for that land :) 

Hi John,

I'm wondering if a Newcastle Citiscape is still on the cards?  This was mentioned in the Cessnock user guide a long time ago, as was a Newcaslte/RAAF Williamtown airport scenery.

Whatever the case, I'm really pleased to hear that there are more Aussie airports inbound.  Thankyou.

pngflyer

Thanks guys for all your responses and great to hear some affirmative action is happening. Thanks ORBX for all your great stuff please keep up the good work. As some have commented  " I will have no hesitation " buying any material from ORBX. The quality is hard to beat and when you say to yourself how could they improve on this. " WELL " what can one say.

Archived