P3D V4/V3.4 and Orbx

Hazza

Hi,

I have P3D V3.4 installed on my system. I want to install V4 but have a couple of queries re: Orbx.

1. I understand that the FTXC will use the current installation files from V3.4 to minimize the download, however, is it possible to have (as per LM advice) all Orbx files installed/moved to a separate drive (e.g. D:\Orbx ) so that both sims can read the files from there? I have an SSD C: drive and will run out of room very quickly if I have to keep installing add-ons in the C: drive.
  2. If this is possible, will all files be installed in one root folder (e.g. D:\Orbx) or, as I suspect will be the case, will I need separate folders because of the 32 vs 64 bit installations.
  3. Am I legally allowed to run both the 32 and 64 bit installations without having to purchase twice? The reason for running both is two fold (a) making sure I have a working installation (V3.4) whilst building up V4 and (b) add-on compatibility when flying online with friends

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

I understand that the FTXC will use the current installation files from V3.4 to minimize the download, however, is it possible to have (as per LM advice) all Orbx files installed/moved to a separate drive (e.g. D:\Orbx ) so that both sims can read the files from there? I have an SSD C: drive and will run out of room very quickly if I have to keep installing add-ons in the C: drive.

The ORBX folder must be inside the P3D root folder.

However, this can also be achieved by moving the ORBX folder to another drive and then using a symbolic link to place a link inside the root folder.

The link takes up no drive space and Windows and FTX Central will still see it as being in the root folder and continue to work as before.

If this is possible, will all files be installed in one root folder (e.g. D:\Orbx) or, as I suspect will be the case, will I need separate folders because of the 32 vs 64 bit installations.

You will need two ORBX folders, one for each simulator version and two separate links.

You might use the file structure D:\P3Dv3\ORBX and D:\P3Dv4\ORBX

Am I legally allowed to run both the 32 and 64 bit installations without having to purchase twice? The reason for running both is two fold (a) making sure I have a working installation (V3.4) whilst building up V4 and (b) add-on compatibility when flying online with friends

Yes. FTX Central will show you a start menu when both versions are installed.

Choose which one and from then on, FTX Central will work only with files from that choice.

To choose the other, close FTX Central, open it again and make the other choice.

Archived