Headphones

davenicoll

Hi Guys,

I have been eyeing up Saiteks Pro Flight headset as they look like the real thing.

I notice they plug into the souncard via 2 jacks and not a USB.

Can I still have Voice through the headset and all other sounds through my external speakers??

Anybody else using these headphones??

That's a Yes and No answer  If your using a basic Sound card most likely not

If your using some of the newer Realtec On Board Sound systems that have a separate Front panel sound input/output then yes.

It is a bit tricky to get sorted but can be done with reasonable results.

Maurice is as usual...spot on the money :)

I moved recently from a twin plug generic headset to a logitech USB voip headset and was pleasantly surprised to discover I could split the sounds via the sound control panel

Previously the whole lot just either came out of the speakers or the headphones

The key thing is that the USB headphone set becomes an "extra" sound device

Cheers

Tim

Hi

I use my main sound card for the environ sounds and the mother boards inbuilt sound card for the head phones.  Absolutelly straight forward to use. Simply enable the motherboards sound card in the bios and then in FSX choose the cards as you wish. The only time I have had trouble was with radar contact v4 but a small utility program called "Vista Audio Changer" enabled me to do that as well.  I hope this helps.

Ken  :)

There are  a number of options that can be employed and the end result is reasonably identical.

The only issue I have found in some cases is the AC97 Series Realtek can be a bitch to stop internal loops depending on which driver is used.

Some PCI sound cards have multi channel separation capabilities too where the 5.1 Surround can be split into 2.1 for Environment Sounds and the Rear channels assigned to the Headphones. The same is achieved with some on board sound systems where there is an additional In/Out set for the front panel.

The simplist ATC FSX setup is to use of USB headphones both for Teamspeak, Ventrillo, FSInn ( ALL concurrent ) as like Krono's use of a second Sound Card  the USB Head Set is seen as a separate Sound In/Out device and as such can be assigned to various functions.

All in all there are many possibilities for Online and Shared cockpit flying ALL while being on VATSIM too so how good is that.

I've never had any luck trying to split headphones and speakers on different channels, because the software still only sees one device, at least on my X-Fi Xtreme card. The only way I've got it to work is with USB headphones. I'd be interested to know how others have done it with only one sound card.

Maurice, can you provide your procedure for Shared Cockpit on VATSIM? I can get the shared cockpit part to work OK (with the right ports opened), but connecting to VATSIM is problematical. Only one pilot can connect otherwise VATSIM sees two aircraft, and then how do the pilots communicate with each other? I recall reading about a method involving a shared callsign and one pilot connecting as observer but I've never tried it.

Greg

Thanks Maurice,

I currently use a USB headset with a Creative XFata1ity sound card and can get seperate sounds.

I notice you can purchase an adaptor that has the 2 jacks plugged into one end with USB the other end...is this option workable??

Just so you know USB sound cards are software based sound and not hardware based sound so they tend to not have the dimensional depth that a proper card would have.

Those headsets have jacks cause the sound is better that way. Having them on USB in my opinion would ruin that product.

Yes Brad for gaming like FPS and other's like that and of course music playback I certainly agree, but for Audio relating to ATC and VATSIM since the fidelity isn't there to start with I doubt it would be a problem for most. 

I actually run a Sound Blaster external unit Via TOS link from the on board sound FAR out the quality is phenomenal.

Not sure what do you mean here Dave, as there is a Standard Creative XFatality Titanium series sound cards ? with 3.5 mm Stereo sockets and SPDIF In/Out , The Creative XFatality Titanium Champion Series which has an additional 5.25 Drive bay Panel for additional features such as EAX, CMSS 3D, Dolby Digital, Dolby DTS, and X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity .

Creative also produce the Creative XFatality Headset in both Standard , USB and a new so called Professional version which makes use of sub-audible tones to access various surround sound effects and Vibration driver information provided in newer games.  

Rather expensive when compared to cheaper alternatives but awesome products that we have come to expect from Creative Labs.

Not seen the device your referring to with 2 Sockets and USB Plug presumably it is some type of adapter from belkin or other manufacturer, which while it may provide a solution for some it would seem to me that it reinvents the wheel.

they are just like flash drives in size and design but they have a input and output audio jack , perfect for headsets and they are recognised as a second sound device so any program that supports mutli sound cards can use it. u can get them for as cheap as $1.00 on ebay ive heard and they are fine for voice communication but for music and game sounds u would use the pci sound card. the saitek headset looks good but its price doesnt , $180 or so :S u can buy a real aviation headset for that and plug it into your pc.

Archived