NEW Computer SPECS Please Help =)

RalphB

Hey Everyone :)

This is my first post here on the ftx forums  :D;D.

Just a few questions as i am not the most techy!! ;)

I would like my new pc to be able to run REX, Active Sky,FTX SP3 AUS, as well the AU airports for FSX, at quite a smooth frame rate hopefully all the sliders maxed. ;D

Will my new system be able to achieve this???

Intel S1366 Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core CPU

ASUS S1366 P6T Motherboard

DDR3 6GB Corsair 1600MHz PC12800 RAM Kit

800GB Western Digital AADS 32M SATA HDD

Gigabyte GTX 275 896MB PCIe Video Card GTX275

23.6" Samsung 2494HS LCD Monitor

Antec Two Hundred Case (No PS)

Corsair TX750W 750W Power Supply

Microsoft Wired Desktop 500 Keyboard and Mouse

Samsung 22x DVD Writer SATA Black

Integrated Sound Card

Logitech X530 Speakers

Integrated Gigabit Network Connection

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM, W7 Upg. By Redemption

Thank you Heaps, hopefully i gave you guys enough info

and comments welcome

thanks again

RalphB

Morning Ralph

You have made some good choices in your selection

However to get the most out of the i7 CPU you will need to OC it to at least 3.6 ghz

(very simple, its just a matter of turning off a couple of things and bumping up the BLCK in the bios)

for this you will NEED an aftermarket CPU cooler, for this I recommend a Noctua 120 or V8 coolermaster (both about $90 AUS)

and I also recommend a Raptor/SSD dedicated hard drive just for FSX

and you want the biggest case you can get with LOADS of airflow (Haf-920/922, CM-690, Antec-302/900)

I have a CM690 (about $109 AUS) myself and it has 7 x 120mm fans sucking air from the bottom and front and pushing through the Noctua and out through the top and back

Cheers

Tim 

Agreed - I had an Extreme MOBO on order, but it was going to be a 1 month wait ....

should have waited.

The Gigabyte boards have a great record for overclocking.

The Asus board would be quite competent, but I'd go with the Gigabyte Extreme board.

At 2.93Ghz the 920 won't be "great" but it will be with overclocking and will actually make use of the memory bandwidth this architecture allows, and, as I've said elsewhere, I think it is the "sweet" point for price-vs-performance at the moment.

At your current specifications without any tweaks, you won't exactly be able to run your sliders 'maxed out'. And remember, AI Traffic is a killer fps wise. However, I am pretty sure you will get some good eye candy, mainly because you have the i7 and the 6GB of DDR3 Ram, graphics play a role, but not a very important one, because it's a simulation game the CPU will do most, if not all of the calculations. Given that you have the benefit of the i7 and a relatively good motherboard you can easily squeeze some juice and clock it up to around 3ghz. I wouldn't say that you need to upgrade anything on your system, however if you're able to go for a better motherboard that is capable of handing over clocking, and like some people said before me, get an after market cooler.

Good luck!

Hey Everyone :)

ASUS S1366 P6T Motherboard

Antec Two Hundred Case (No PS)

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM, W7 Upg. By Redemption

Thank you Heaps, hopefully i gave you guys enough info

and comments welcome

thanks again

RalphB

G'day RalphB,

In terms of your next upgrade look at a more powerful PSU - maybe 850 to cater for future graphics and CPU power requirements - not much extra now, but saves time pulling wiring systems out, particularly if you go for neat wiring.

I've recently bought two ASUS boards and have had to RMA both, one of them three times with a consequent period of eight weeks delay between boards, such that they have been replaced by Gigabyte and eVga boards which work fine, and the ASUS have been dumped.

My Corsair 850 works well in the Coolermaster CM690 which is the best case value for money available at $109 plus your extra cooling fans - the top two of which can be fitted inside the case itself to allow for 140mm, rather than in the top case bezel assembly where only 120mm fans fit. It is a good idea to run as many fans as you can, but try connecting them all (except CPU fan) to the Molex plugs of the PSU rather than the mobo fan  plugs.  ;)

I agree with most everything said so far. Cooling is the overclockers friend, so get a good case and an aftermarket CPU cooler. I went for a Thermaltake 120 Ultra but a nice new alternative is the Corsair Hydro Series H50 (AUD$119.00 at PC CaseGear). Easy to install, no-maintenance water cooling. The WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD is still good value against the SSDs but in terms of absolute performance the SSDs have it beat. The OCZ Vertex Turbo is the SSD to get. It's a pity prices will stay high at least into the new year thanks to the Windows 7 bubble.

Cheers,

Noel.

Ok,

That sounds great, i hope i have taken everyones advise in  ;D (thanks again for all the help so far ;D ;D ;D)

i have tweaked the system a bit, would the case below be a bit better in regard to cooling and how is the motherboard for overclocking. Otherwise more comments welcome

Intel S1366 Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core CPU

ASUS S1366 P6T-Deluxe V2 Motherboard

DDR3 6GB Corsair C7 1600MHz RAM Triple Channel Kit

1TB Western Digital EADS 7200rpm 32M SATA HDD

Gigabyte GTX 275 896MB PCIe Video Card GTX275

23.6" Samsung 2494HS LCD Monitor

Thermaltake V9 Tower Case (No PS)

Samsung 22x DVD Writer SATA Black

Integrated Sound Card

Logitech X530

Integrated Gigabit Network Connection

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Thanks again for all the help  :;) ( you are legends  8)

Ralph :)

Archived