Getting a new machine to game on

olafg

Hey guys and gals! I'm back, it's been a long time.

I haven't simmed with FSX since 2006, since my computer couldnt take it, now I'm getting a new one, and wonder if this set up is good enough to run FTX and REX and some good addons to make it look really nice, I will be focusing on FTX and scenery packs with good coverage of certain areas, so that I can fly to different airports, I will fly mostly GA and helos, but some airliners, but not that much...

So this is what I set up, excluding the drives, wondering if I should get SSD or Raptors

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe

PSU:  Corsair HX 620W

RAM: Corsair XMS3 TWIN3X DDR3-1333 6 GB (3x2GB)

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

DVD: Nec AD-7240S Sort

CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

GPU:Sapphire Radeon HD 5850

Please feel free to correct it for the better:) I'm a bit out of this game:D

Hey guys and gals! I'm back, it's been a long time.

So this is what I set up, excluding the drives, wondering if I should get SSD or Raptors

Please feel free to correct it for the better:) I'm a bit out of this game:D

Welcome back olafg. Just a couple of thoughts -  i) within six months SSD's are likely to be the norm for best sim performance, so would be a good strategy if affordable

and  ii) from a future proofing point of view if you spend a bit on a more powerful PSU it will see you through the next couple of upgrades when CPU's and graphics cards need more juice.  ;)

So I was reading around a little and I was advised to buy the SSD a little later on when it's cheaper and also go for an i5 750(overclock it a bit) and put the extra money from i7 920 to the i5 in a better GPU and more RAM, so this is what I've set up now.

PSU: Corsair HX 750W

RAM: Corsair Intel i5/i7 PC3-10600 8192 MB (4 x 2048 MB)

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3

CPU: Intel Core i5 750

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870

Temp HDD(until I buy an SSD): Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB

Archived