Getting settled in now with v4 in NorCal

andy1252

So after much cursing and messing around, I'm beginning to get v4 working and looking how I want it. Got the payware PTA on there, and after a bunch of not very productive attempts at my own setup I found and tried out the thopat preset. A couple of minor tweaks to suit my own particular taste and now it's beginning to be fun. These are from a test run out of the default Angwin Parrett Field in NorCal. Haven't got Active Sky or Rex or any other textures/weather yet. Sliders maxxed, all 4k, default texture_thingy=8. Don't want to upgrade my current PC with a new graphics card yet but I'll probably up my RAM to 32gb sometime soon and see how that helps. In the meantime, away we go -

XSgnPrs.jpg

FNY8KJp.jpg

6YPuMHv.jpg

had been just aimlessly pootling around, then spotted water ahead. Turns out to be a place called Clear Lake and it looks like another wonderful chunk of northern Californian bliss. (and if anyone on the forum is from around there and is going to tell me it's polluted like crazy and full of bad people I don't want to know - it looks wonderful and that's all I need!)

0TduM7r.jpg

Fyipj8k.jpg

I know my preferences are a bit dark for some people, but I'm really pleased with how this is coming along. This is going to be such fun as all the ORBX strips make it on to the system

fgzz9oA.jpg

3aDgsdR.jpg

ISTWYJ9.jpg

qdonMdL.jpg

9pm8yBU.jpg

vbv59U4.jpg

To infinity (or maybe Eureka) and beyond! Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Andy

The scenery is getting a 'richness' to it in the colors, which I like.

The 2nd shot could easily be a photo.

How much difference does PTA make to what you are seeing??

TTM

Hi TTM, PTA makes a huge difference, to my tastes. I was finding the raw sim very bright whereas I like a bit more richness to the colours, as you noticed. I have a very large and quite bright/sharp screen, and darker works for me much better. If you haven't tried it, give it a go - even as payware it's a bargain and there are a lot of presets available from various sources.

• Upvote 1

Great shots Andy.  I like how you're approaching setting it up.

Let me ask you, you were the first to say you had an "OOM", how much RAM do you have in your PC?

I have 8GB and I'm seeing this all the time only when I shut down.  Does this happen to you?

WhSQCMb.jpg

So I today ordered another 8 GB for my PC.  Which will bring me up to 16 GB.

Do you think the extra RAM will stop these boxes only on shut down?

Or is something more sinister going on?

Thanks.

Jack

5 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Great shots Andy.  I like how you're approaching setting it up.

Let me ask you, you were the first to say you had an "OOM", how much RAM do you have in your PC?

I have 8GB and I'm seeing this all the time only when I shut down.  Does this happen to you?

WhSQCMb.jpg

So I today ordered another 8 GB for my PC.  Which will bring me up to 16 GB.

Do you think the extra RAM will stop these boxes only on shut down?

Or is something more sinister going on?

Thanks.

Jack

Jack

You will find out when you put the extra RAM in. :)

I know it has my v3.4 running better.

TTM

12 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

So I today ordered another 8 GB for my PC.  Which will bring me up to 16 GB

Depends, where you put your sliders, Jack. If all is maxed out, you might want to settle with 32GB

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

So after much cursing and messing around, I'm beginning to get v4 working and looking how I want it.

Andy, your shots look perfect to me, the only thing that looks a bit too dark is your panel shot

9 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:
16 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Jack

Jack

You will find out when you put the extra RAM in. :)

I know it has my v3.4 running better.

Hi TTM.  I just went to P3D's website.  V3.4 required 4GB, V4 require 16GB.  I have 8 now.

5 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Depends, where you put your sliders, Jack. If all is maxed out, you might want to settle with 32GB

16 I can do for now.  Money-wise.  If I was going to go to 32 I'd have to have more slots, I only have four memory stick slots.

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

16 I can do for now

No worries, Jack, I'm on 8 GB myself. For now, 16 GB will be fine, but once all those great ORBX airports will come to life again, you'll definitely have to go higher, if you want to see them in full v4 glory

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

16 I can do for now.  Money-wise.  If I was going to go to 32 I'd have to have more slots, I only have four memory stick slots.

Jack

You can get your RAM in 8GB sticks.

4 sticks by 8Gb will give you the  32 GB.

You could probably sell the current sticks, there is a secondary market/Ebay.

TTM

Edited by TigerTigerM

4 hours ago, andy1252 said:

(and if anyone on the forum is from around there and is going to tell me it's polluted like crazy and full of bad people I don't want to know - it looks wonderful and that's all I need!)

Well...yeah...you don't want to know.  Haha.  Great shots though!

3 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Hi TTM, PTA makes a huge difference, to my tastes. I was finding the raw sim very bright whereas I like a bit more richness to the colours, as you noticed. I have a very large and quite bright/sharp screen, and darker works for me much better. If you haven't tried it, give it a go - even as payware it's a bargain and there are a lot of presets available from various sources.

I totally agree. I did my own presets and prior to that v4 was very bright and beautiful. But the tweaking made the sim look very realistic for my taste. Just need to figure out why my distances look blurry. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

Jack

You can get your RAM in 8GB sticks.

4 sticks by 8Gb will give you the  32 GB.

You could probably sell the current sticks, there is a secondary market/Ebay.

TTM

Hi TTM.  I bought two 8GB sticks so I'm going to remove the two 4GB ones and put the new ones in.  Then since I only have four slots I'm gonna add the two 4GB sticks and see if I get 24BG.

That'll be it until I can upgrade the PC this fall.

I bought these I'm getting on Ebay and I'll keep the other ones as Jetline sells the parts they replace.

Looking forward to seeing how Orbx-land looks with the new memory, next week as they shipped an hour after I placed the order.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

If I buy it today, I wonder if I can use Adam Banks' Preset 21_11?

There were some changes in V4 that means some (and I think its only one or two) don't, or didn't work... but the basic config should function. I found I had to make some changes to match the look I was getting in V3 when importing those profile into V4.

17 hours ago, ve2dgz said:

Nice pictures. I would to try your settings, I like them.

I used the Thopat settings that you can get here - https://www.sass-projects.info/thopat/

They recommend some particular HDR settings, but I darkened those for my system (they have 1.20/0.90/0.85 but I used 0.80/0.90/1.10 for these shots)

16 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

how much RAM do you have in your PC?

Hi Jack, I'm currently running 16gb but will probably bump that up to 32gb. My graphics card was the bizz a couple of years back and I don't want to shell out huge bucks to get a 1080 at this point just for VRAM. It seems plenty powerful enough in processing terms, and if if overflows to RAM on the occasions it needs it that'll be fine with me for a while. If I upgrade the PC in another 18 months I'll see what's what at that point.

16 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Andy, your shots look perfect to me, the only thing that looks a bit too dark is your panel shot

Thanks Berndt. My simPC monitor is very sharp and bright and they all work fine on there. On my 'regular' PC screen they look too dark to me, too!

11 hours ago, caaront said:

Love it, is it smooth?

HI Caaront, smooth enough for me. I never monitor frame rates but my settings are capped/targeted at 30.

And thank you to John, Anton, Iain, Taph and Mark. Glad you like 'em.