Meanwhile in the North...

While everybody seems to be installing, adjusting and tweaking P3Dv4, I took my time moving all my installation to bigger SSDs and adding more RAM. Getting prepared..., but as usual I will be waiting some months to make a move - hoping that 99% of the issues will be sorted out by then, my most important planes running and some comprehensive instructions written.

Time for a thorough inspection of the northern scenery... I first tried this with real weather, maybe not such a good idea...

2017-5-23_21-11ENHFrealweather.jpg

... so I went to the tower and asked the officer for the weather forecast. He said "You´ll be fine in a minute...!", ...

2017-5-23_21-30tower.jpg

... and off we went.

2017-5-23_21-31watch.jpg

Trying to land on the tender in Hammerfest harbour. Unfortunately it is not as solid as it looks, I got wet...

2017-5-23_21-33tender.jpg

... so I inspected the refinery and the city church...

2017-5-23_21-35refinery.jpg
2017-5-23_21-41church.jpg

... before climbing out to get an overview.

2017-5-23_21-43overview.jpg

For an even more detailed tour I changed to a smaller bird, making it possible to send greetings to @Jack Sawyers boss, ...

2017-5-23_22-4lighthouse.jpg

... and to return to the refinery island. A fine island, simulationwise.

2017-5-23_22-21island.jpg
2017-5-23_22-22islandhelipad.jpg

I think by the time you jump in to P3Dv4 waters, things will be nice and warm for you :) ... add-on's might not be ready yet, but stability and performance are already superb.

In the mean time FSX is looking mighty fine.

Spectacular shots Gerold!  And of course, I love the yellow chopper.  And your narration and ATC shots were excellent!

Who would be my boss?  The lovely and gracious wife Robin? :wub:  You know she adores all things lighthouse!

But lemme ask you a serious question Gerold as I'm not good at this (thank goodness for people like Elaine) how did you move everything to larger SSD's?  I mean, won't Windows not recognize the SSD's or the Registry or whatnot?

Can you just copy over an entire SSD, rename it. to the same name and will Windows see it?

Thanks and thanks for the :lol:

Thank you, @Iain Emms, for commenting!

52 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

I think by the time you jump in to P3Dv4 waters, things will be nice and warm for you :) ... add-on's might not be ready yet, but stability and performance are already superb.

In the mean time FSX is looking mighty fine.

Thank you, Mark, for the confirmation of my (final?) FSX look. Even more glad I am to see FSX pretty stable also (fingers crossed), though we all know where to be careful on VAS... ;). I look forward to the warm waters!

27 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Spectacular shots Gerold!  And of course, I love the yellow chopper.  And your narration and ATC shots were excellent!

Who would be my boss?  The lovely and gracious wife Robin? :wub:  You know she adores all things lighthouse!

But lemme ask you a serious question Gerold as I'm not good at this (thank goodness for people like Elaine) how did you move everything to larger SSD's?  I mean, won't Windows not recognize the SSD's or the Registry or whatnot?

Can you just copy over an entire SSD, rename it. to the same name and will Windows see it?

Thanks and thanks for the :lol:

Thanks for the compliments, Jack. Yes, I meant your gracious wife when putting your attention to the lighthouse...

So, how did I do the move? Base situation: I always had 2 SSDs, C for the system, D for all programs.

1. I copied the entire D to a portable HDD (hours of time with all that Orbx stuff). Exchanged the SSD "D" to the bigger (1TB), empty one. Once I managed to have the system recognizing USB storage devices again (this does not work when you have a Samsung SSD in the default "rapid" mode!), I copied all programs back to the bigger SSD. Tested, successful.

2. Then I disconnected the newly created D-drive and replaced it with the "old" 500 GB one, which is then remembered as D. As this was also a Samsung, I could use their "migration tool", which offered to move teh OS from the active C-drive to the current D-drive. This works only if no other program is running, including antivirus software. But is goes really fast, and creates a new C-drive (deactivating the old one).

3. Now remove the old (former C) SSD from the rig, get the new ones fixed in the right slots and voila. They are instantly remembered as the fresh C and the moved D. No big deal - once you overcome the mentioned issues. Took me 10 hrs of copying, 4 hours of error research in forums and a limited amount of nerves.

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you, @Iain Emms, for commenting!

Thank you, Mark, for the confirmation of my (final?) FSX look. Even more glad I am to see FSX pretty stable also (fingers crossed), though we all know where to be careful on VAS... ;). I look forward to the warm waters!

Thanks for the compliments, Jack. Yes, I meant your gracious wife when putting your attention to the lighthouse...

So, how did I do the move? Base situation: I always had 2 SSDs, C for the system, D for all programs.

1. I copied the entire D to a portable HDD (hours of time with all that Orbx stuff). Exchanged the SSD "D" to the bigger (1TB), empty one. Once I managed to have the system recognizing USB storage devices again (this does not work when you have a Samsung SSD in the default "rapid" mode!), I copied all programs back to the bigger SSD. Tested, successful.

2. Then I disconnected the newly created D-drive and replaced it with the "old" 500 GB one, which is then remembered as D. As this was also a Samsung, I could use their "migration tool", which offered to move teh OS from the active C-drive to the current D-drive. This works only if no other program is running, including antivirus software. But is goes really fast, and creates a new C-drive (deactivating the old one).

3. Now remove the old (former C) SSD from the rig, get the new ones fixed in the right slots and voila. They are instantly remembered as the fresh C and the moved D. No big deal - once you overcome the mentioned issues. Took me 10 hrs of copying, 4 hours of error research in forums and a limited amount of nerves.

So on step 1, when written to the new drive and renamed Windows doesn't know the hardware changed?  Nice trick that.

20 hours ago, paulb said:

Great shots Gerold! Well done my friend.

Can I ask where you got the RAF Heli please? I am very tempted! ;)

Thanks, Paul - ans sorry, I do not remember. Usually I pick the majority of my liveries at OZx, so this might be a starting point.

20 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

So on step 1, when written to the new drive and renamed Windows doesn't know the hardware changed?  Nice trick that.

I did not even need to rename anything. Just plugged off the old D-drive and replaced it with the new & empty one. Windows initially recognized the new one as "D". The same works in the reverse direction in step 2.

11 hours ago, adambar said:

Marvelous set of shots Gerold! :)

Thanks Adam. I wonder if I should follow your graphic card advise...

8 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks, Paul - ans sorry, I do not remember. Usually I pick the majority of my liveries at OZx, so this might be a starting point.

I did not even need to rename anything. Just plugged off the old D-drive and replaced it with the new & empty one. Windows initially recognized the new one as "D". The same works in the reverse direction in step 2.

Thanks Adam. I wonder if I should follow your graphic card advise...

Not sure if it's a good idea to follow any advice I give Gerold, but going from the AMD 2GB to the Nvidia 4 GB card did the trick for me. FSX runs as smooth as silk under any weather condition. :)

14 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Top-of-the-shelf set of pictures! The real time weather looked like a good one for a rescue mission!

You might be right, Bermuda, and the livery was also not a bad fit for that. But I wanted to make a "low&slow" inspection of the scenery, so I needed to cheat...!

Archived