SpeedTrees: Toggle on/off for FTX in P3D v4?

Airtrooper

Hi Airtrooper,

the checkbox for the SpeeTree toggle is named "Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation". You'll need to re-start the sim after checking or unchecking the box.

You may want to run some fps comparisons in the same area because those SpeedTree models do have an impact on resources, especially in densely forested areas.

More information here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/135710-trees-in-p3dv4/#comment-1203208

Cheers, Holger

Hi Andy,

it depends a bit on the specific FTX Region. For most of them, including the NA Regions, you should see the SpeedTree models with "Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation" active; below is a comparison set of PNW near the town of Squamish and another one of Germany North. SpeedTree models tend to be rather obvious from the air due to their lighter colors.

Other FTX Regions do include quite a few tree species of our own, which are all based on the previous "cruciform" model; those remain in place so you'll see a mixture of SpeedTree and cruciform types. I believe the UK Regions and New Zealand are among those.

The current P3Dv4 SpeedTree library doesn't include nearly as many tree species as we need for accurate vegetation representation in the FTX Regions. Moreover, there are complications in terms of altering SpeedTree textures or adding new types as doing so requires one to purchase an expensive developer's license from SpeedTree itself; the SpeedTree model libraries are actually "middleware" and not owned by Lockheed-Martin.

Cheers, Holger

P3Dv4 - cruciform trees near Squamish.jpg

P3Dv4 - SpeedTree models near Squamish.jpg

P3Dv4 - cruciform trees and canola fields in GEN.jpg

P3Dv4 - SpeedTree models and canola fields in GEN.jpg

9 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

there are complications in terms of altering SpeedTree textures or adding new types as doing so requires one to purchase an expensive developer's license from SpeedTree itself

That seems to be the clincher! I was looking into this myself, with the aim of producing freeware models for others to use. The way I see it the more freeware SpeedTree P3D libraries are out there the representative the world can become. 12 different tree models doesn't quite cut it (pun!).

Hi Andy,

indeed, please be careful. As with copyrighted airphotos and satellite imagery these licenses cost many thousand of dollars and the copyright holders generally don't distinguish between use in freeware or payware. During P3Dv4 Beta testing we lobbied L-M to negotiate for a collective license of sorts with SpeedTree but to date that hasn't happened.

Cheers, Holger 

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of acquiring a license for the Modeler (and Compiler etc.), which would allow the creation of new, bespoke vegetation models "from the ground up" (another pun!), which as my IP could legitimately be released as freeware libraries by myself. I wouldn't dare do anything else for the fear of getting into deep water!

Archived