Belfast problems!

cwam

Hi Guys,

First of all, I don't think this is a quick fix issue - I am hoping that when Ricahrd Bui gets to updating NIR he, or someone else will have a look at this, so feel free to mark it as resolved even if nothing is done about it now!

Also, I want to say how much I enjoy NIR - it really makes a difference to flying over my home region, it looks great, and I am especially pleased with St Angelo which was basically just a runway in the default FTX/P3D version.

However, I think there is a problem Belfast in NIR; it has been there all along - in P3Dv3 I get higher FPS and a smoother experience flying around Vancouver with PNW, Vancouver Plus and Victoria Plus added on than I do flying around Belfast with nothing added on except NIR.  

However, it really came home to me when I tried out P3Dv4. With no add-ons loaded (none were ready!) I can fly around Belfast in the P3D Bonanza with about 79-100 FPS.

When the new version of Central came out and I loaded NIR, using the same aircraft the FPS drops to 30-40 on the runway and flying around drops as low as 10. The amount of stutters makes flying a helicopter really difficult and almost impossible to land at Belfast City.

I cannot compare it with Vancouver with all the add-ons I have in P3Dv3 because apart from PNW, none are ready yet!  But, with PNW loaded, I did try flying around Seattle and I get about 30 FPS; but Seattle is way larger than Belfast! Plus, Seattle is a lot smoother, and there is no noticeable FPS drop - it certainly doesn't get as low as 10.

It does not seem to affect anywhere else in NIR, only Belfast.  In fact, if you fly from any other NIR airport everything is smooth running but if you fly towards Belfast you begin to notice things getting "stuttery" and FPS dropping as you get within about 20 miles of Belfast. Newtownards (the closest airport to Belfast) is also a bit slow and has stutters, but if you fly from Newtownards away from Belfast it smooths out pretty quickly.

There is even a noticeable difference between the FPS at Belfast City Runway 4 and Runway 22 (same runway, opposite ends). Using the "Go To Airport" option, if you start pointing towards Belfast centre, sitting on runway 22 the FPS is about 30, but starting at runway 4, pointing away from the centre of Belfast the FPS is about 50 or more.

Also, and I don't know if this is related, but the centre of Belfast itself looks incredibly messy; like no other city in a "full fat" region.  The background image over which the roads are laid seems to include roads of its own which do not line up with the simulator roads, and the simulator roads run over buildings etc. on that image.  The outer parts of Belfast look fine - in fact they look great, it is just the centre itself that looks terrible; some links to screencaps:

Centre vs suburbs

Weird bridges/road ends

Roads overlapping buildings etc.

P3Dv4-Belfast-3-2017-6-3_zps1pnmce8r.jpg

I have nothing loaded into P3Dv4 except ORBX regions - all the UK and Ireland ones plus PNW, PFJ, NRM and SAK.

Possibly it is a rogue texture somewhere? If this was a huge city with lots of custom buildings etc or a really detailed airport such as Juneau or Southampton, I would expect a huge FPS hit - but Belfast? This is the place where someone once joked that it was so rural there was a cattle grid at the end of the runway...!

Specs etc.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit

i4790k @ 4.0 GHz

8 GB Ram

NVidia GeForce GTX 970

Running P3Dv3 from 200GB SSD Partition

Running P3Dv4 from 100GB SSD partition 

(PS - how do I get my specs automatically copied into my posts now that that signature can only be two lines?)

Doh! Sorry Richard! 

The difference between Belfast centre and outskirts:

jjrmYMZ.jpg

The strange road/bridges overlaps:

MBWDTQW.jpg

The roads overlapping buildings:

OovGZd1.jpg

I am not sure if the messy centre depicted in the screencaps has anything at all to do with the frame rate drops in the first part of my post; it is just something else I noticed when I started to do my own testng over Belfast for comparison with other locations

Also, one new one with the co-ordinates:

yOGf7IE.jpg

Hi,

The first image I posted, yes I will report that one, not sure what is going on there. The second, drawing over the houses, sure I will report that, although the intersection, I believe it is ok, the reason is when you look in google it is clear that the pavement surface has been picked up on, typical in that part of the world, usually a pavement warning/intersection change for drivers. And the third I also think should be looked at. As for performance, I have no issue in these locations, very fluid actually and no FPS drop.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for checking this out, and for passing on the issues about the overlapping roads etc. 

Given that you had no performance issues I guess that means it is something wrong with my set up, although I can't understand how the same set up could be getting better performance at Seattle or Vancouver than it does at Belfast - a place that was once described as being so small it had a cattle grid at the end of the airport runway :D !

May I ask, for comparison, and to help me identify what might be wrong with my own set up - what spec is the PC you use for testing and also, are there any special settings you use for NVidia inspector/control panel or any tweaks to the P3D config file?

Also, please feel free to mark this as resolved.

Many thanks for your help,

Colin.

Archived