nHancer and shimmer

Tailgunner

For what it's worth, I have now discarded nHanser as I find that the latest nvidia driver version 190.62 works much better without it. Now I know that different systems produce different results, but it may well be worth a try.

I'm running with Windows 7, 64 bit and have a GTX 260 graphics card. I'm also setting the Filtering (Anisotropic) and Anti-aliasing in FSX and not the card.

The image quality is the best I've ever had with FSX, but as I say, it may not work as well on your system. Always experiment until you find what works best for you.

I feel that this may be a Win7 driver Graham as I have the same card and when I tried to update it insists that the 7.15.11.8250 is the latest driver? I am running Vista at present.

I am running nHancer but it seems I shall dispose of when I get Win7 on board. I am not seeing any shimmering problems however and I am reasonably happy with how things are running now. It took a long time to set nHancer up in the first place from info gained from another forum.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=27540&PID=156769#156769

A word of warning NEVER allow ANY automatic Updates from ANY software manufacturer.

Auto update and their propensity to screw up any customisations clients make are my prime source of On Site PC maintainance jobs.

Tick Notify so you can check and download only what you want or know you need. This applies to ALL drivers as well.

Just because it the latest and most recent does not mean it is better. 

I agree with Mozz.  But have found 190.xx very good.  Except for Photoshop CS4 in which I have had to disable graphics acceleration.

Hmm would 191.xx fix tat, I wonder, I wonder ......

I seem to need MAX texture filtering settings to get rid of shimmer on my card.  Ie 32Q

Use the new 191.07 drivers from nVidia, and the new version of nHancer [2.5.7] available here http://forum.nhancer.com/showthread.php?t=1446 -second post down ... there were issues with 190 drivers and the previous version of nHancer, causing issues with AA. In the nHancer control panel, use 'combined' AA set to 8xS, under your FSX profile - this should help reduce shimmering, by more effective antialiasing of alpha textures, used on trees, fences, paint edges on ac's etc.

Forget nhancer. even the author himself has stated that nvidia are finally catching up. there is only a small benefit in allowing you to set certain AA options, but even those are not ideal for FSX. If you are following some popular tuning guides recommending nhancer, you are limiting your fps and get very little extra display quality in return.

Use the latest drivers and discard nhancer. the latest set works great with default settings for FSX except VSYNC. Turn that to 'force on' in the nvidia panel.  ;D

Archived