Graphics card

One site that does a good job of performance comparison is Game Debate. This site offers excellent performance comparisons with different video cards. This will help you to choose which one best fits your system based on the numbers and performance.

Hello 

To take advantage of all the bells and whistles that V4 has to offer a big jump will be needed. You are going to need a 1080ti or a Titan to run at near max settings. Basically a card with a lot of VRAM like 11-12GB worth will be needed 

I have a GTX 1080 and am counting on it to be sufficient for the smooth visual performance I'm looking for.  Had I known that the 1080Ti was going to be released 2-3 weeks after I purchased the 1080 and had I known how much more performance the 1080Ti would offer over the 1080, I would have waited.  

That being said, a 1080 is nothing to sneeze at, and I think it will be able to hold its own with P3D v4.   I only really had problems with the 1080 when I was using 4xSGSS in NI during cloudy/foggy conditions.  I am really curious if Lockheed Martin discovered a way to render the anti-aliasing so as to not affect clouds.  Guess we'll have to wait until Tuesday wait to find out! :)

You are absolutely right the 1080 is a great card. I had one as well up until last week. The only difference is you probably won't be able to max out your settings with 8GB of VRAM. That's where the extra 3GB of VRAM on the Ti bring it to 11GB. The Titan has 12GB

The new LOD is gonna take a Extremely powerful card to run at max settings. Even some developers have said on a live stream a few nights ago look at the 1080Ti or the Titan. Definitely exciting times coming our way

12 hours ago, Jrbaird19 said:

Definitely exciting times coming our way

I would more say, expensive time if we all need a 1080... :P

I have settle for a 1060 6G and I hope it wrok more then OK because no V4 for me

Ben

The 1060 6G is an excellent card and provides very good result with x64 FS progams. 1080 is more for people wanting 8K display or playing with latest FPS games.

Setting a lod radius much beyond a human eye can see in real is a non sense for flight simulation experience

23 minutes ago, Richard Bui said:

Setting a lod radius much beyond a human eye can see in real is a non sense for flight simulation experience

I agreed Rich, but what sort of LOD are we talking about?

I would imagine you would want it as realistic as the real world. When at altitude on a clear night you should see 10-15 miles of city lights.

My apologizes Richard. 10-15 is a little more realistic than forever 

Flying by night, real pilots are more focused by instruments :D

GTX Titan Xp is what I will be getting a divorce over :o)  This is the most robust video card for the masses currently available, and close to what JV was using in his screenshots (I think he has Titan X, not Xp).

5 hours ago, Jrbaird19 said:

1080ti and Titan will do the trick. Titan is what John is using currently he said and his shots look amazing. The key here is a lot of VRAM 11-12 GB

I bought my original GTX Titan a little over 5y ago in the hopes its 6Gb of VRAM would be used.   Somewhere I think before V3 was released, or when V3 was released, VRAM usage dropped from a max around 5.2Gb on my Titan to never more than about 2.7Gb or so.  Very happy to hear this has now changed.  Exploiting the GPU more has been our primary hope since single core performance just isn't making great strides for the past 5y or so.  Yep, Titan Xp is where I am headed unless they best that again before I get the credit card out.  In fact, I'm beginning now to wonder if a Titan Xp is all I really need.

I think that the major issue with getting the latest and greatest graphics card is cost.

Over the years I have purchased many cards - only to see that a year or so later there was a better one available. Suddenly my last purchase had at least halved in value.

Nowadays, I tend to buy one a step down from the best - because the best is never the best for very long! :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, paulb said:

Over the years I have purchased many cards - only to see that a year or so later there was a better one available. Suddenly my last purchase had at least halved in value.

Nowadays, I tend to buy one a step down from the best - because the best is never the best for very long! :rolleyes:

Agree. Which one would you say fills your criterium today...?

Well I for one can't wait to see if the new release can use all of the available resources, I purchased a new laptop recently with a pair of GTX1080's in SLI and the Desktop I7 7700K CPU with 64Gb and i have a 1tb SSD just awaiting so the thought of V4 using all available resources is a nice one to say the least.

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Agree. Which one would you say fills your criterium today...?

Well, I think that a lot depends on expectations and sliders! :)

Prior to this year I had a GTX570 on a 1920 by 1200 monitor. As long as I kept my sliders around midway, then I could still enjoy FSX and orbx scenery 100%.

Around the start of this year, I purchased a new pc and monitor (3440 by 1440). After a lot of research, I went for a GTX1070. I thought that it was the 'sweet spot' in terms of price/performance.

I am very happy with it. My sliders are very high and frame rate etc is fine. Perhaps in a couple of years I will look at an upgrade.

The only mistake that I made was getting a 250 GB SSD for FSX. I was soon filling it up!

About a month ago I replace it with a 1 TB SSD ( Samsung 850 EVO). I now have plenty of space!

The point of my post is that graphics cards quickly move on - much more rapidly than CPU performance. So, it depends a lot on how much you want to invest - probably every year to stay with the 'best'.:D

Thanks Paul. I am on a 3440x1440 monitor as well which I am quite pleaed with. Now using a GTX 970 with (<) 4GB VRAM which worked fine so far. That card is less than 1,5 years old :( - as you state progress is quick in this field.  I am afraid VRAM is going to become the Prepar3d4 bottleneck for many of us.

I'll see how it will behave.

Kind regards, Michael

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Thanks Paul. I am on a 3440x1440 monitor as well which I am quite pleaed with. Now using a GTX 970 with (<) 4GB VRAM which worked fine so far. That card is less than 1,5 years old :( - as you state progress is quick in this field.  I am afraid VRAM is going to become the Prepar3d4 bottleneck for many of us.

I'll see how it will behave.

Kind regards, Michael

I agree Michael. LM on their site suggest 8 GB VRAM as 'recommended' for V4. But, as I said earlier, sometimes it all depends on where one puts the sliders ;)

Time will tell.

Re the monitor, I too am pleased with UWS. It does seem to provide a more immersive experience. Mine is 34". In an ideal world I would like to have a 36 or 37" :D.

7 minutes ago, Jrbaird19 said:

IMG_2374.PNGHello guys 

LM site states 8 GB + of VRAM. It's gonna pay to have more (if) you want most of the sliders to the right. I understand that NOT everyone will want that.

I do understand your point and do not disagree with you :).

The latest, best and fastest GPU will always give the best options for the sim.

But, having been with FS for over 30 years, I remain amazed at the progress!

It provides great pleasure to many of us.

My only point in this thread has been to suggest that it all depends on how much one wants to spend.

One can have a great experience with a 'lesser' setup. A lot depends on how much one wants to spend on one's hobby at any point in time. ;)

Cheers

Paul

Yeah, that VRAM usage (if you turn up TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP) will cost a lot of people a lot of money. Personally I can't afford in anything above 8GB VRAM or up right now and I'm not upgrading to P3D 64-bit since it won't make any difference in visual fidelity on my current rig. Maybe in a few years when 8GB+ cards are lower-mid range and affordable. Too much of an investment atm plus I'd have to upgrade my RAM too since 8GB won't cut it any more. No hurries, no worries.

If i understand with my  DX4320-02E  ADM Phenom II x 4 Processor 3.80 GHz 64bit operating system  and 6.00GB installed memory, for me P3Dv4, it is a dream, very far for use on my PC?

Well, on the LM P3D site there is both a minimum spec and a recommended spec for V4.

Clearly one needs to be at least somewhere in between?

IMHO, the cost of the software is not huge compared to a hardware update.

So, depending upon one's expectations ( and sliders) it can always be worth giving it a go - if that is what one wants to try.;)

IMHO, it doesn't matter what video card someone purchases, they will almost always say they are happy with it...because, they just plopped down hundreds of dollars on it. It's kinda like buying a new car. People rarely complain that they do not love the car they just spent a ton of money on. My point is, do your technical research, and then buy the best graphics card (or other PC component) that you are willing to spend money on. Of course, as stated, this is how I do things and your mileage may vary. 

Well said Sniper31. After hearing from beta testers and developers about how much V4 will rely on a powerful GPU( for high settings) my decision was easy. As you said expectations will very greatly. From what I've seen and heard I have high expectations therefore I wanted a better card. 

Playing with sliders in the beginning will be key I'm sure. I hope a lot of folks do the research needed to make their flying enjoyable.

Emmsie will be getting a new 1080Ti card in two  weeks, Moving up from my GTX970 so I should see a vast improvement this is not only because of P3DV4 but I fancy moving up to 4K with a new monitor in a few months time. Yes I agree its quite a lot of money to spend but the way I look at it this is my hobby and it gives me great satisfaction so to me its well worth the outlay for all the enjoyment I get.

cheers

Iain

Given quite a number of users will get new graphics cards for Prepar3d, Nvidia might recognize we DO exist and give us some love, finally.

Kind regards, Michael

I seriously doubt that anyone running P3D v4 @ 1920x1080 resolution will need anything more than 8GB VRAM, even at very high detail settings. I deliberately avoided using the term "maximum" for the settings, because it seems that the LOD Radius in P3D v4 can be increased to almost ridiculous levels. I run P3D v3 quite happily with a LOD Radius of 5.5, and see no need to increase it far beyond that (partly because I do not generally fly above 5000 feet).

Reading all of this Titan this, 1080 ti that...can anyone give me an encouraging word that my gtx 980 ti is not a paper weight and will work ok for P3d v4? I'm a little disappointed as I still haven't made the last payment on it, and that I'll need a new card already.

53 minutes ago, rcoultas62 said:

Reading all of this Titan this, 1080 ti that...can anyone give me an encouraging word that my gtx 980 ti is not a paper weight and will work ok for P3d v4? I'm a little disappointed as I still haven't made the last payment on it, and that I'll need a new card already.

Depends on the resolution you use. If you don't go over 1080p you should be fine.

Archived