Overclocked 275 GTX

Hello Again,

I just went from the Nvidia 9800 GTX SC+ to the Nvidia 275 GTX - 1792 Mb card. Using the EVGA Precision tool I overclocked the GPU speed from 633 to 721MHZ, the Shader setting from 1404 to 1597 and the memory speed from 1134 to 1184. Do you think this is OK? With the Q9550 OC'd to 3.65 GHZ this thing goes like stink with all settings to the right except autogen set one notch back. My temperatures are running cool at 55 C or so on the CPU and 70C or so on the GPU when under full load. I am using FPS limiter, enhancer and the usual CFG tweaks. My question is whether or not I should still be using the limiter, enhancer and tweaks? I can maintain a smooth 30-35 FPS almost everywhere (limiter setting). Should I uncouple all these other things. What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated.

Spirit Flyer  :D

yes, i have one, dont touch anything at 30-35fps. if you've been a fsx simmer for a while and been on any forums you should know that that many fps  is awsome. i have an i7 machine with gtx 275 and i cant reach those numbers. if this is consistent dont touch anything.

yes, i have one, dont touch anything at 30-35fps. if you've been a fsx simmer for a while and been on any forums you should know that that many fps  is awsome. i have an i7 machine with gtx 275 and i cant reach those numbers. if this is consistent dont touch anything.

Marshkop,

Your one piece of advice shocked me into starting FSX and re-evaluating the valuation I gave here. With a more critical eye I better re-state that over most congested areas, excluding perhaps mega cities, the FPS is more like a smooth 25-35. When over default New York City it squeezes out 16-24 or so. Melbourne airport is only 12-18 but usable for me for the first time. Over the country sides, forested or not, it pegs to near the 30-35FPS limit unless in a thundercloud. After reverting to the 182.5 driver there does not seem to be any stutters or hiccups at all, anywhere. I think maybe my FSX war is over and have gained victory, if not, there is at least a calm peace that should satisfy me you'd think - we'll see! These parts seem to work very well together indeed. As you say, guess I should leave well enough alone.  Thanks.

Spirit Flyer  :D

One of the fastest cards around and ya wanna overclock it ??  

Hi Maurice,

I did not even run FSX after installing the card until I overclocked it as high as I did. I was inspired by some bench testers that attained these same OC numbers during their tests, with which it outperformed all others they tested the card against (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/evga-gf-gtx275-1792mb.html). The card seems to like these numbers, as high as they are, but I sure hope it is not being damaged somehow. In any case it is fun to fool with forbidden fruit...

Spirit Flyer  ;D

My rig just had a couple of crashes resulting in the blue screen of death, that was video card related according to what the screen said. I have dialed the clock back a wee bit to 703 mhz and the shader clock to 1559. That seems to have solved the problem.

I also have decided to upgrade my power supply from a BFG Tech 550 to a OCZ Fatal1ty Series 700 watt, just in case that is the culprit. When it arrives in a few days I will do a switch and see if I can go back up the clock. There is no noticeable difference between the speeds anyway, still being fast and smooth.

Perhaps in FSX the overclocked GTX275 with the 1792 mb ram might be a better performer than the 285 with just half the memory. In any case it certainly seems worth the money, being substantially less expensive but having such high overclocking headroom. Temperatures are 65 to 70 C under heavy load.

I can't believe I am still tinkering and tweaking! To be honest, it seems every bit as much fun as flying :)

Spirit Flyer

I am going for a GTX 285--should get it tomorrow or day after, wuill be running on a Quad core with Vista 32 bit till I go to 64 bit win 7 by Xmas, then on a new I7 820 with 8bg RAM late jan. What performance should I expect and should I overclock the card?

I am going for a GTX 285--should get it tomorrow or day after, wuill be running on a Quad core with Vista 32 bit till I go to 64 bit win 7 by Xmas, then on a new I7 820 with 8bg RAM late jan. What performance should I expect and should I overclock the card?

Hi Cathy,

Should you overclock? Of course you should!  ;D  If the new card is made by EVGA you can use their overclocking utility easily and safely.

Stephen

Archived