Exclusive! Preview screenshots from DTG Flight Sim World™

Even though I will be getting this for free I'm not expecting a quantum leap for flight sims. As unless I'm mistaken the core sim will still be using the very dated code from MSFS albeit updated, tweaked & optimised (but by how much is yet to be seen) .

Kudos to both ORBX & A2A for jumping onboard, at the very least the look of the base visuals will be a huge improvement.

But unless DTG can improve the performance significantly they will fail to excite die hard flight simmers while falling out of favour with the STEAM generation of "Gamers" ...

These are just a few of my thoughts & I really hope I am proven very wrong.

at first i was..sceptic, at best, now i'm curious and will definitely get it, why ? because, at his worst, it's an upgraded FSX and since i'm still using it as my main sim, it'll be always a better option...hey, even FSX-SE is better than the boxed version and they just made only very small fixes.

At best, well i don't expect too much. obviously, it's still the good ol MS ESP core...nothing radically different like, well, x-plane. it's not a revolution, but an evolution..

It has some very nice features... I really like the SSAO with the extra depth and solidity it provides on the terrain. The lighting at times looks extremely good, and the hints about the forthcoming additions to weather are very interesting... I hope there will be full manual weather control included, rather than just themes.

I must admit I wasn't that interested in this, but now I very much looking forward to it.

The screen shots don't really do it justice (as always)... and from what's been show, it'll be very easy for people to dismiss FSW as just an updated FSX with a touch more eye-candy. The Early Access video has some details about what DTG want to achieve with FSW, with an internal road-map and clear goals along the way. 

Think what we'll get on May 18, will be a good start. Early Access done right, should give us an amazing piece of core software at the end.

I know rain on the windscreen has been a huge request over the years and how they are doing it looks as the best I've ever seen.  The only issue I have is when in cruise and going 100+kts, water doesnt really stick to the screen. If they leave it as is, I wouldnt care but if at some point they refined it more to better reflect a more realistic look in cruise that would be a great improvement.

Also in the video of the auto gen having that shadow baked effect where the objects meet the ground, I find to be a different look. Not a love or hate thing but a way to look different from other sims of the past. I feel its a benefit as the objects dont appear to just float.

Kings video is a great presentation and I like how many of the sim makers are looking to upgrade the UI experience. Cold and dark starts, being able to resume a flight are great features to have.

Something I only noted with JK's video, was the full inclusion of the DTG: Flight School lessons and locations within FSW... kind of makes sense for them to pull DTG:FS.

Think the shadow effect with the Autogen will be down to SSAO rather than baked-in. With baked-in you'd need massive amounts of pre-done textures to deal with different weather and lighting situations... which is where SSAO comes in. In JK's video shadowing looks to be fairly representative of what you'd expect of the prevailing lighting conditions at the time. ie, stronger, more defined shadows in direct light, softer shadows with more indirect light/ overcast conditions.

Again with the Autogen, the low light bad weather screenshot (pic 4 of post #1) looks pretty good. However, in JK's video the Autogen buildings during lower light conditions, look much brighter than the landscape it's sat on (probably a hang-over from FSX). 

10 hours ago, Paul_Blythe said:

Think the shadow effect with the Autogen will be down to SSAO rather than baked-in. With baked-in you'd need massive amounts of pre-done textures to deal with different weather and lighting situations... which is where SSAO comes in. In JK's video shadowing looks to be fairly representative of what you'd expect of the prevailing lighting conditions at the time. ie, stronger, more defined shadows in direct light, softer shadows with more indirect light/ overcast conditions.

Again with the Autogen, the low light bad weather screenshot (pic 4 of post #1) looks pretty good. However, in JK's video the Autogen buildings during lower light conditions, look much brighter than the landscape it's sat on (probably a hang-over from FSX). 

I find the shadow effect underneath the trees overdone: I don't see a similar effect with the houses. Every (group of) trees sticks out due to this, as if it doesn't belong to the surrounding. It also looks odd because those baked in (or not) shadows look odd at most times of the day and also during cloudy conditions. It is too much. But obviously this actually is something that could be changed during early access. Maybe when they add real shadows in the future this effect will be toned down or (even better) removed. 

And the houses stick out too much too here and there: it is very obvious autogen. But probably this will also change when real shadows will be added. (Well, I presume the sim doesn't have real shadows on the scenery yet because I haven't yet seen any.)

1 hour ago, stewart1 said:

Well looking forward to trying flight sim world it is now in my steam list of programmes but not active at the moment regards stewart 

Seems to go live a 5PM UK time. Some games on Steam preload and unlock at release, but it seems we'll all be downloading together.

Looking forward to it.

Yup! 1700 BST unlock (9:00 PDT, 12:00 EDT, 18:00 CEST, 16:00 Z): Looking forward to the windscreen rain effects and hopefully a general good start with the foundations for this new platform.

Agree with almost everyone though...ultimately its success with me will all depend on full and open third-party accessability for freedom of expansion and focus on an engine/SDK/code that allows more to be done than ever before and capability to be customised by all types of users with everyone's hugely diverse simulator set-ups, including VR, home cockpits etc etc....just as P3D does for me right now. Good luck to Dovetail and hoping they really do listen to feedback from the community regarding our needs. I've been driving people crazy over the past couple of years about bringing back rain effects since we lost them after FS9 so I really am grateful they listened to us on that one...they are indeed the best-looking and most immersive windscreen rain effects I've ever seen to date, especially the way they seem to be effected by the physics of motion and changes in direction. Hope the wipers of the aircraft can wipe them off ;) During Early Access, hopefully they can develop and do for windscreen snow effects what they've done for rain.

Here's hoping for a potentially good future with all the third-party expandibility we enjoy today and more. If they can nail that in a 64-bit simulator, well then we might have something that can be here to stay for the long haul. Fingers very tightly crossed that they continue to listen to the community's needs and requirements for their ideal primary simulator platform. Enjoy testing and exploring guys and lets really give as much feedback as we can over the next couple of months regarding what we think and want...that's after all why they've given us a free copy and introduced this Early Access phase...they've asked the community to guide direction of further development of the platform so this is our chance. Hopefully another fulfilling journey could begin today and hopefully its very very early days in where they go with this platform. Lets wait and see but today is all about the launch of Flight Sim World and enjoying and experiencing the reality of what those exclusive and inviting screenshots suggest and indicate :)

I think we now need a dedicated FSW thread at the very least. I've been 'playing' it for a couple of hours, but won't bog this thread down except to say.... edit the FSW. cfg and extend the LOD Radius to at least 6.5 before you do anything else!...  Everything at 'Ultra' and the LOD is very poor... FPS 50 to 60fps... Rain effect very nice.... Big improvement over Flight School.

I think we now need a dedicated FSW thread at the very least. I've been 'playing' it for a couple of hours, but won't bog this thread down except to say.... edit the FSW. cfg and extend the LOD Radius to at least 6.5 before you do anything else!...  Everything at 'Ultra' and the LOD is very poor... FPS 50 to 60fps... Rain effect very nice.... Big improvement over Flight School.

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until Orbx publishes content for FSW we don't see the need for a dedicated discussion or support forum for it. By all means share your screenshots from FSW, but any support issues should be directed to DTG via their support channels.

I just purchased it and then realized its not VR ready and I no longer have HeadTrackerIR as my sim setup but oh well, I'll look around it and see whats its about understanding that it is in a development stage with big plans ahead. Perhaps Fly Inside will be releasing a VR addon for it down the road if they arent doing an internal one.

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Nice video with great narration.  I didn't like the crash at the end but I saw a lot I did like.  The rain is amazing, the instruments shaking, is that Accu-Feel?  I wonder how much of the scenery is orbx, is that just Global?

Overall I like it a lot, especially the way it recognize your controls and how easy it was to set your's up.

But since it's so huge I'll have to wait and buy yet another SSD, so after I get it, this will be in my sim inventory as the price can't be beat, $0 since I bought Flight.

Do you know that scenery?

18491775_10203285091086157_1755017389329

18527259_10203285091126158_3288867320528

Sure it is not 100% corret, there are issues with elevation, objects missing as there is no relevant objectflow.dll, but as prove of concept ORBX scenery for FSW seems be real with relatively easy.

29 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

Do you know that scenery?

Sure it is not 100% corret, there are issues with elevation, objects missing as there is no relevant objectflow.dll, but as prove of concept ORBX scenery for FSW seems be real with relatively easy.

That's really promising Jiri. If it works that way, I am sure clever people will start to import all sort of stuff notwithstanding what DT suggests or likes within the next weeks.

My first impression of FSW as a long-time (and certainly continuing) Prepar3d user is mixed but not overall bad. I get the 30 fps my monitor is set to with maxed settings, at least in normally dense scenery. The shaders are really nice, no comparison to the ugly FlightSchool and (I know millions of X-Planers will contradict) the brown-greyish XP11 out of the box.

Still some issues, missing Vsync and tearing, terrain steps etc. and I hope to get all my Saitek gear to work soon.

Kind regards, Michael

It seems very well. But We are not developers and we can't see everything in bacground, but honestly if FSW becomes only just replacement for old FSX, I do not worry that ORBX will not support it.

Yes, currently DTG have lot of work make it good enough for final release.

3 hours ago, Jiri Kocman said:

The question for me is that what happens when FSW users are painstakingly exporting scenery into the sim by hand on a hit or miss basis at the same time that people are happily using approved installers to transfer their stuff into P3DV4?

Currently we are trying if and how ORBX scenery can work in FSW. From screens above it seems very promising that ORBX will support FSW platform when becomes live., Thats point, there is nothing about any version of P3D.

At the moment, with FSW being in Early Access and still undergoing changes. It'll be difficult for any content developers to provide support for the platform. Once FSW hits final release, I'm sure well see plenty of content become available.

For now, I'm quite happy with FSW, but do miss the extra level of accuracy/immersion that comes with Orbx Vector, OpenLC and FTX regions. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2017 at 8:37 PM, John Venema said:

Until Orbx publishes content for FSW we don't see the need for a dedicated discussion or support forum for it. By all means share your screenshots from FSW, but any support issues should be directed to DTG via their support channels.

Is it planned to publish all the current FSX/P3D content for FSW? If so, Is it likely to be after the current content has been made compatible with P3D V4, and/or FSW leaves early access/beta and becomes the finished version?

Archived