some random shots, click on the pictures for best quality....

Pitts at South Lake Tahoe

A9rGWEC.jpg

Schweizer 300cbi at Bella Coola

ezrqPI9.jpg

Christen Eagle at Jackson Hole

54VVkkr.jpg

BeDe 5J Micro Jet over San Francisco

X11OYwQ.jpg

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots, I'd love to know how you do panoramic captures.

Hi Jack

I have my screen resolution set to 5760 X 1080 in FSX, these are all normal "v" screenshots with no enhancement.

I do reduce the resolution by 50% so they will upload, but other than that this is what i get.

I run three 27 inch monitors for the main view, one touch screen for avionics, and i have a separate machine with touch screen for charts and such.

So the screen shots are what FSX dumps out from the three main view monitors. ORBX does all the rest.

3 hours ago, magic1 said:

Hi Jack

I have my screen resolution set to 5760 X 1080 in FSX, these are all normal "v" screenshots with no enhancement.

I do reduce the resolution by 50% so they will upload, but other than that this is what i get.

I run three 27 inch monitors for the main view, one touch screen for avionics, and i have a separate machine with touch screen for charts and such.

So the screen shots are what FSX dumps out from the three main view monitors. ORBX does all the rest.

5760?  What kind of monster monitor you using?  It must be huge.  Someday, somehow, I'm gonna get myself a larger monitor. 

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

5760?  What kind of monster monitor you using?  It must be huge.  Someday, somehow, I'm gonna get myself a larger monitor. 

it's three 27 inch monitors

1 minute ago, magic1 said:

it's three 27 inch monitors

Oh, right, my mistake.  I guess what I was getting at was how do you get 5760 on a 27 inch monitor?  Sorry, but I'm like a babe in the woods when it comes to monitors and resolution.

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Oh, right, my mistake.  I guess what I was getting at was how do you get 5760 on a 27 inch monitor?  Sorry, but I'm like a babe in the woods when it comes to monitors and resolution.

Each monitor is 1920 X 1080, but the image is over the three monitors so i get 5760 X 1080 (1920x3=5760).

It's really immersive when flying because it fills your peripheral vision, i highly recommend it.

I then use a fourth touch monitor for the gages, the main view is basically what you would see out the window.

So FSX is using the four monitors like one display and they thought about that back in 2006 because the resolution settings for multi monitors are in FSX. 

11 minutes ago, magic1 said:

Each monitor is 1920 X 1080, but the image is over the three monitors so i get 5760 X 1080 (1920x3=5760).

It's really immersive when flying because it fills your peripheral vision, i highly recommend it.

I then use a fourth touch monitor for the gages, the main view is basically what you would see out the window.

So FSX is using the four monitors like one display and they thought about that back in 2006 because the resolution settings for multi monitors are in FSX. 

Gosh Magic, I wouldn't even know where to begin, I'd have to pay the Jetline guys who built my PC to come here and do it for me.  This tired old dog can't learn any new tricks easily.

How do you get the three monitors to get signal, do you have three separate video boards?

And about the other PC, how do you get it to sync with FSX and all that?

You must have a degree in IT!

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Gosh Magic, I wouldn't even know where to begin, I'd have to pay the Jetline guys who built my PC to come here and do it for me.  This tired old dog can't learn any new tricks easily.

How do you get the three monitors to get signal, do you have three separate video boards?

And about the other PC, how do you get it to sync with FSX and all that?

You must have a degree in IT!

I do have a degree in IT...but you don't need one to setup a good sim.

the video card, or GPU (graphic processing unit), does all the work. It has four monitor outputs. You can add additional GPU's but not really necessary.

the card i use is the GeForce GTX 980, with three display-port connectors and one HDMI. So all the monitors just plug in to the one card.

The GPU has software for the "surround display" and FSX is already setup for multi monitors. It's actually not that difficult to set up and well worth it.

The other PC (fifth monitor) is not connected to FSX, its a standalone system i use for airport charts, google earth, and orbx forums...

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Impressive Mr. Magic!  I have that same exact card.

So I'd just need two monitors and cables?  Gish, where would I put them?

I'd need a bigger desk 

if you do go with three monitors I recommend you get a three monitor stand, it will free up desk space. You also want them to line up correctly and be set a little higher to get the full effect of the surround display. 27 inch is probably the maximum display size you would want to go with. The three monitors are actually six feet across, but set in a "u" shape they are about 5 feet. The 980 comes in different configurations, check yours to make sure it has three display ports and one HDMI. You can make any of them work, but it's easier and cleaner if they all have the same cable and connector.

3 minutes ago, magic1 said:

if you do go with three monitors I recommend you get a three monitor stand, it will free up desk space. You also want them to line up correctly and be set a little higher to get the full effect of the surround display. 27 inch is probably the maximum display size you would want to go with. The three monitors are actually six feet across, but set in a "u" shape they are about 5 feet. The 980 comes in different configurations, check yours to make sure it has three display ports and one HDMI. You can make any of them work, but it's easier and cleaner if they all have the same cable and connector.

Thanks for the help Magic, now if I can win the lottery I'll be doing this. :)

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks for the help Magic, now if I can win the lottery I'll be doing this. :)

always happy to help out a fellow simmer - not sure i can help with the lottery though.....:D

Archived