Question about ORBX scenery for Aerofly FS 2

dave302

Hi. I've been reading up on Aerofly FS 2, and while it certainly is impressive and superior to FSX in a number of ways, it only contains scenery for 3 U.S. states.

ORBX's Innsbruck scenery for Aerofly looks stunning as well.

My question: Is there a world model at all where one is able to fly outside the Innsbruck area, or is one confined to only this area and the three included U.S. states?  I'm assuming the scenery outside of these areas would be much less detailed and lower resolution if it exists.

Thanks.

Dave

3 hours ago, dave302 said:

Hi. I've been reading up on Aerofly FS 2, and while it certainly is impressive and superior to FSX in a number of ways, it only contains scenery for 3 U.S. states.

ORBX's Innsbruck scenery for Aerofly looks stunning as well.

My question: Is there a world model at all where one is able to fly outside the Innsbruck area, or is one confined to only this area and the three included U.S. states?  I'm assuming the scenery outside of these areas would be much less detailed and lower resolution if it exists.

Thanks.

Dave

Its one of the misconceptions out there that Aerofly doesn't cover the entire earth. This is only partly true. The mentioned higher resolution coverage areas are limited currently, but they will certainly grow. In the meantime, Aerofly does cover the rest of the earth with low resolution photo scenery suitable for a plane at typical passenger jet altitudes.

My personal expectation is that as the tools become easier to use and more familiar, more and more 3rd parties and enthusiasts will begin making their own sceneries of particular areas of interest. Already a few people have experimented with the SDK and created small scenery areas and added objects, and I can't imagine that this will not continue.

Thus there would be no problem at all in flying from the Orbx Lowi high resolution area to the Geneva high resolution area, or even to New York or California if you wanted. All the navaids are already there.

This adventure is just beginning. http://www.ipacs.de/forum/forumdisplay.php/46-Aerofly-FS-2-User-created-content

Thank you Dave and HiFlyer.  This is the Q&A I needed as well after going to the website and reading up on AF2.

I see also there is some downloadable content available for a price as well.

Granted while the hi resolution product looks amazing, somehow I got the exact feeling I did with Microsoft's infamous "Flight" (which I totally avoided). I just last year moved over to P3D and while I still have FS10 fully installed and loaded with my $1,000s worth of addons, it has remained dormant.

I just can't see investing my fixed income on another sim at this time, one that is so limited in scope. So I guess I will watch and wait.

Bryan

I am looking forward to Aerofly FS2 , I am hoping that if ORBX can put airfields into it, perhaps they will be able to also put regions into it ? And from there it will grow quickly .

regards 

ORBX enthusiasm for this sim possessed me to get it and I now understand that enthusiasm. I downloaded the free DLC's for it and thought it was great. This sim has a lot of potential. If more developers take an interest in it, I think it could be the sim to beat. The VR in it is great. I have only flown the cessna 172 in it and having flown it in RW I thought it was very good. Can't wait for next gen VR and better resolution.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm glad that the whole earth is indeed modeled, which means we can hopefully look forward to more and more detailed scenery packages becoming available over time. Something akin to openLC would be fantastic.

In the meantime, I'll probably stick with FSX/P3D since I've got so much invested in that platform.

Still waiting to hear from DTG with more details about their new sim. I advise them to show us something soon, otherwise they'll be left behind by Aerofly and the next version of P3D.

Dave

I have been on the fence about AF2 but finally decided to purchase last night and will be my simulator of choice for quick flights to explore an area.  I do not own a VR headset so strictly traditional simulator for now. At this time I am going to enjoy the two free hi resolution areas available and do not know if I am going to purchase additional scenery for it.  Probably will purchase Orbx regions when available.

Mike

Archived