Welcome to a New Era: Presenting FTX Innsbruck for Aerofly FS2 Flight Simulator!

G'day Vora, that's correct, no OF at this stage unfortunately. In the case of LOWI this means no seasonal variants for the vegetation (a moot point given AF2 is SU-only at this stage anyway), runway lighting uses sim-default point lighting, and non-active hold-short lighting. In lieu of this, I did create half a dozen new airside vehicle animations (given I had to rework all the vehicle animation paths for the new sim anyway); combined with the animated peopleflow this does give a nice sense of atmosphere on the apron. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be great!

If you haven't tried Aerofly, folks, go out and buy it. It's incomplete, but the systems depth in the default aircraft is actually pretty decent. For example, the Boeing 747 MCP has decent functionality, FL CH works, the EICAS selectors work etc. it's. It's not a game, it's a sim, and it's only going to get better.

Then look at the screenshots from Jarrad. This is what Aerofly FS2 needs - an exemplar area where we can really see what the engine is capable of. Day 1 purchase for me for sure.

Finally, if you haven't tried VR yet, this is the sim for it. Consider picking up an Oculus DK2 on EBay, they're about $300 AUD and work like a charm with this sim. I'm pretty new to VR, but the sensation of flight is unbelievable - and it's just going to get better once we have Innsbruck to fly around in.

As you tell, I'm kind of excited. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OMG!  Are you kidding me?!?!?!??!

These shots look REAL WORLD...I thought these were actual photographs  OMG!

Am I ever glad that I have decided to fully throw my wallet behind AF2...we have ALL been asking for a new graphics engine...and we certainly have one.

This looks unreal...and if I could wish away a month of my life...I certainly would, to get my hands on this package RIGHT NOW!  YOU BET, I am purchasing this...and mostly likely anything else that Orbx releases for this flight simulator.  FSX, FSW, and P3D, are simply, and tiredly, both based on a dead-end engine, no matter if new clothes come wrapped in 64 bits or not........been there, done that, micro-stutter, popping texture, blurry texture...have multiple T-shirts, and now we finally have a non-based M.S. graphics engine that can utilize modern graphics hardware, AND, ...that can kick some serious FPS *** doing it!

Orbx....bring it on!

WOW...wow....

On 5/1/2017 at 0:19 PM, PDX Flyer said:

Here is my vote for your next complete coverage area in FS2.  PNW.  Yes I am somewhat biased, but the PNW has sort of been your bread-and-butter for USA areas.  I will keep my fingers crossed and hope I am right.  Please, please, please.  

I'd buy what you speak of, in a micro-second!

June 15th 1964 fellas, sorry.

Some of the large area regional projects we are working on for AeroflyFS2 are going to blow your minds and elevate the sim to a new level.

We have new tech incoming which will massively streamline production of vast photoreal areas so there's going to be a whole new 200fps world to discover.

2017 is going to be epic!

21 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Some of the large area regional projects we are working on for AeroflyFS2 are going to blow your minds and elevate the sim to a new level.

We have new tech incoming which will massively streamline production of vast photoreal areas so there's going to be a whole new 200fps world to discover.

Well, now you are REALLY making me happy! 'Large area regional projects', 'vast photoreal areas', 'whole new 200fps world', sounds good! I also like the part where you say 2017... and not 2018! This is going to be epic indeed! 

Thanks for that info JV, you're getting me real excited for what's coming in AFS2 this year. Can't wait for more preview info when you're ready to divulge it... and, really looking forward to LOWI and Meigs next month!

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Are we getting close to seeing the Coverage Area and some details of Meigs for AF2?

Regards,

Ray

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

LORD! :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))!

Trouble being my age, I could suddenly fold over, and bugger, I never get to see what I've been waiting for, for many

years.  I'm praying boys, believe me,  I'm praying, for the first time ever.:)

JimNZ

13 hours ago, John Venema said:

Is the "new tech" the GeoConvert tool that is being talked about in the ipac forum?

No it's not GeoConvert, never heard of that until you mentioned it. From the look of it, GeoConvert is a Google/Bing maps scraper which you can only use at home privately since it's violating the EULAs of those services to share any files.

Photoreal is an expensive business, and Orbx only uses licensed source imagery.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

No it's not GeoConvert, never heard of that until you mentioned it. From the look of it, GeoConvert is a Google/Bing maps scraper which you can only use at home privately since it's violating the EULAs of those services to share any files.

Photoreal is an expensive business, and Orbx only uses licensed source imagery.

Ah, very happy to hear that! I myself also presumed you would somehow use that tool but I am happy you don't and that you are using GOOD source imagery. The tool IPACS will release is nice but it leaves you with empty flat photoreal (I do presume Orbx will dress things up a bit...?) with obviously very varying quality. Besides, I like to fly, not to create scenery on my own. <_<

Nothing but good news in this topic: I like it! ;)

This thread actually broke my resistance - I bought AF2. Now I'm waiting for the new SSD to arrive to take up both P3D4 and AF2 (it should arrive today).

Well done, JV. :lol:

17 hours ago, John Venema said:

This is the best news from Orbx so far in 2017....... :)

John, - is Orbx considering selling hard drives soon....? :lol: This is my main area of home PC upgrades - SSD space for rapidly growing flight sim expansion!  Note:  Jarrad, You are personally responsible here...B)

Will be first in line (along with many others) for these products.  As a VR user this is only going to get better.

22 minutes ago, RLSinCO said:

John, - is Orbx considering selling hard drives soon....? :lol: This is my main area of home PC upgrades - SSD space for rapidly growing flight sim expansion! 

If I remember correctly, Megascenery was once offering to sell large usb sticks containing their various sceneries.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:18 AM, John Venema said:

No external programs for weather/haze, this is all native to the sim.

I am running AFS2 on my PC off my C: drive for the main sim (SSD) and LOWI is installed into Documents on my D: drive (HD, 10,000prm Samsung). You can run AFS2 easily on an HD since loading times are almost non existing. A full load of LOWI from the 'Start' button is 6.5 seconds off my HD.

Humm ?????

I wonder what the load time will be when it is loading over 300 GB of scenery files like my P3D v3 has to do?

Stock P3D with only PNW and KFHR was fast and then I became Orbxtized and just could not stop adding scenery.

Even a Ferrari will slow down with a couple of tons in the trunk.

JV is right, this is a great platform.  Will it become a full featured sim?  Well, that is another question.  I hope so.

Dale

On 5/26/2017 at 2:47 AM, John Venema said:

I have wetted myself seeing this announcement. Aerofly FS2 + Orbx + large photoreal scenery = bliss.

On 25/05/2017 at 6:47 PM, John Venema said:

Well I am thinking at the very least some of this new tech will spill over into P3D 64bit & X-Plane

If I was over optimistic, much of this new tech can be used in all the new gen sims

This is maybe why one of the OrbX staff said recently that in a few months 32bit sims will become dinosaurs

I hope OrbX can develop incredible new tech and get the sim companies to adapt their programming to make the most of that new OrbX tech

I must correct my statement above that an OrbX staff member said P3D v3 would become a dinosaur

It was actually Mattijs Kok from Aerosoft that said this on May 24 - his exact words below

---  Let's see. I honestly believe P3D V3 will be a dinosaur in a matter of months. V4 is just so much better. ---

This is in an aerosoft thread on compatibility of existing aircraft & scenery with P3D V4

If Orbx develop for this sim it has my money!

If aircraft add on developers get interested, it may be the future?

I can imagine what a 64 bit flight physics model might be like with 200 FPS!:)

Any move away from the FSX (ESP) engine is progress.

Regards

David

I'm so excited about this.. The ORBX team deserve a platform like this to create from. 

Flight Simulation, even with Prepar3d V4 in effect, is still a looooong way off from looking like this, if we are honest. Anyone who hasn't experienced this sim yet is in for a pleasant surprise.. it's so very smooth, and the visuals are sharp, and stunning. Admittedly the terrain is a little flat, and not as immersive, though this sim is still in it's infancy. The flight models could do with work also, as no sim I've played even comes close to the 'feel' of flying as DCS world, for example. 

Though back to scenery, so excited and behind you all the way, ORBX, with this. 

Would love to know if the aircraft and airtraffic will be static, or active? The sim desperately needs this :)

Cheers all!

John 

On 2017-5-23 at 5:20 AM, robwhitehead said:

This is going to be great!

If you haven't tried Aerofly, folks, go out and buy it. It's incomplete, but the systems depth in the default aircraft is actually pretty decent. For example, the Boeing 747 MCP has decent functionality, FL CH works, the EICAS selectors work etc. it's. It's not a game, it's a sim, and it's only going to get better.

Then look at the screenshots from Jarrad. This is what Aerofly FS2 needs - an exemplar area where we can really see what the engine is capable of. Day 1 purchase for me for sure.

Finally, if you haven't tried VR yet, this is the sim for it. Consider picking up an Oculus DK2 on EBay, they're about $300 AUD and work like a charm with this sim. I'm pretty new to VR, but the sensation of flight is unbelievable - and it's just going to get better once we have Innsbruck to fly around in.

As you tell, I'm kind of excited. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very well said, couldn't agree more! :)

4 hours ago, Jlebesis said:

I'm so excited about this.. The ORBX team deserve a platform like this to create from. 

Flight Simulation, even with Prepar3d V4 in effect, is still a looooong way off from looking like this, if we are honest. Anyone who hasn't experienced this sim yet is in for a pleasant surprise.. it's so very smooth, and the visuals are sharp, and stunning. Admittedly the terrain is a little flat, and not as immersive, though this sim is still in it's infancy. The flight models could do with work also, as no sim I've played even comes close to the 'feel' of flying as DCS world, for example. 

Though back to scenery, so excited and behind you all the way, ORBX, with this. 

Would love to know if the aircraft and airtraffic will be static, or active? The sim desperately needs this :)

Cheers all!

John 

I have mixed feelings for the default aircraft. Some of them completely lack of really basic features like mixture control e.g. the C172 and the Baron. With others it is not possible to assign mixture control to the Saitek quadrant or to any key but only to the mouse wheel within the VC (e.g. the Extra).

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

I have mixed feelings for the default aircraft. Some of them completely lack of really basic features like mixture control e.g. the C172 and the Baron. With others it is not possible to assign mixture control to the Saitek quadrant or to any key but only to the mouse wheel within the VC (e.g. the Extra).

True. But this is being worked on. Now that may sound too easy because developers always say things are being worked on ;) but the guy who is working on the plane systems frequently (like daily) posts on the IPACS forum and he is pretty serious about his job. All knobs and switches already work in the models but a lot (most) have been deactivated for now to prevent confusion. He is making a lot of progress already but they only want to release things when the systems work for all planes, not just one. To show a bit of his dedication and ideas: the guy once posted that the thought the default Airbus should be able to come close and even surpass a few functions of the Aerosoft Airbus! That says something!

Of course I'd also would like to see all these options and systems TODAY instead of having to wait for it all but well, I know for a fact they are working on things so I have high hopes for Aerofly. Add to that all the goodies that Orbx has planned and we are in for a great ride... er... flight. 

"  Aerofly FS2 + Orbx + large photoreal scenery = bliss. "

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that. What I love about AF2 is the photoreal with autogen, and I'm afraid that with ORBX it will "just" end up looking like another FSX/P3D sim with FTX Global installed. We have finally gotten a sim that seperates itself from the ESP platform that the other sims are based on, so why not keep it that way so there's an alternative to FSX/P3D/FSW (and X-Plane). I know it's impossible to make the whole world in photoreal, but let's enjoy the new regions, like ie. Utah, New York and whatever comes out.'

I would rather see some more systems working in the different aircrafts than ORBX enhanced scenery. If I feel the need for ATC, ai, World global airports/scenery, I still have the option with the above mentioned sims.

Archived