Welcome to a New Era: Presenting FTX Innsbruck for Aerofly FS2 Flight Simulator!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jarrad

Very impressive set of shots & improvement over FSX/P3D is discernible.

The weather & haze in your shots - are they coming from AeroflyFS2, or another program?

& for non VR use - could AeroflyFS2 be run off a good internal HD, or must it have an SSD?

Thanks

TTM

Oh wow, this is incredible!!!  Due to current life pressures as well as my frustrations with pauses/stutters in P3Dv3 (even with a 980Ti), I took a break from flight simulation (including a break from buying the latest Orbx products). But AFS2 is perfect for "light" flying, and I may well start buying Orbx products again (for AFS2)!!!

47 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Jarrad

Very impressive set of shots & improvement over FSX/P3D is discernible.

The weather & haze in your shots - are they coming from AeroflyFS2, or another program?

& for non VR use - could AeroflyFS2 be run off a good internal HD, or must it have an SSD?

Thanks

TTM

No external programs for weather/haze, this is all native to the sim.

I am running AFS2 on my PC off my C: drive for the main sim (SSD) and LOWI is installed into Documents on my D: drive (HD, 10,000prm Samsung). You can run AFS2 easily on an HD since loading times are almost non existing. A full load of LOWI from the 'Start' button is 6.5 seconds off my HD.

This is an amazing announcement JV. It looks incredible. Only a couple of years ago I remember thinking AF had loads of potential, if only a developer would make the 'investment.' I will be checking this out asap!

30 minutes ago, John Venema said:

No external programs for weather/haze, this is all native to the sim.

I am running AFS2 on my PC off my C: drive for the main sim (SSD) and LOWI is installed into Documents on my D: drive (HD, 10,000prm Samsung). You can run AFS2 easily on an HD since loading times are almost non existing. A full load of LOWI from the 'Start' button is 6.5 seconds off my HD.

6.5 seconds!

I can cook a 3 course meal while P3D fires up. Slight exaggeration, but  will definitely be trying AFS2 soon.

As regards new airport/scenery releases - once things settle down do you anticipate releasing an Orbx & AFS2 version of each one concurrently?

& will there be an AFS2 Forum section on Orbx Forums for discussion & posting of shots??

TTM

I can attest that AF2 on multiple monitors is a great experience.  I used Nvidia's Control Panel to span two 28 inch monitors, each 2560x1440, and it completely changed the 2D experience and the aircraft instruments are crystal clear.  I didn't see any decrease in performance with the spanned monitors (GTX 980 video card).  AF2 recognized the spanned monitors as a 5120x1440 monitor, and worked perfectly.  The only problem is that the view is centered between the two monitors and the bezels are right in the center of the pilot view.  Using three monitors will eliminate the bezel problem in the center of the view and give me a 6 ft wide screen.  It is not VR but it is a very immersive experience.

2 hours ago, rockliffe said:

This is an amazing announcement JV. It looks incredible. Only a couple of years ago I remember thinking AF had loads of potential, if only a developer would make the 'investment.' I will be checking this out asap!

And take note that Aerofly performs perfect straight out of the box! So don't fear for going from any other sim to this one. ;) No tweaking, no ini's, just a few basic sliders in the sim and that's it. Start the sim and you are litteraly flying in seconds.

But also take note that Aerofly is a work in progress: no weather, crappy clouds, no AI, no ATC, no autogen, no deep systems, etc. Not yet, at least. But despite all that Aerofly is my sim: once I experienced the smoothness there was no going back for me, even though I used to hate flat photoreal in the past. Add the Rift to it all and well... this is it! Nothing better than an almost real relaxing flight in the Cessna! (Which is a plane I never liked but love in Aerofly.)

All this and no Vector, No AEC juggling, no frozen water black squares, no OLC, no very expensive 3rd party Mesh ( which doesn't even compare to the mesh used in AF2). No wonder it loads fast as light and only has to read a couple of items of data in comparison to the "others".

The future looks bright...the future looks AF2/Orbx

I'm sure we all agree that AF2 is fantastic in regards to loading times and fps, and I for one would like to see ai, ATC, advanced aircraft systems, whole regions or world covered in photoreal, BUT not having that is most definetly the reason for how fast AF2 is. when we add all these things we will see fps in the same range as P3D. So for now I just enjoy both sims as they're are.

I just have to jump in here to say how thrilled I am about how this is all evolving. The combination of AF2, ORBX and VR sets a solid and beautiful foundation for my flight simming world for years to come. 

Jarrad - that is masterful work!

While I am extremely excited about this LOWI scenery, I am also concerned about the areas outside it. Is it possible to have a photoreal Austria as the extension of photoreal Switzerland which already exists for Aerofly FS2? It's even more necessary for FS2 because it does not have good global scenery as FTX openLC Europe, so the gap between existing add-on sceneries will look more barren and unpleasant.

This is hands down the best looking flight sim scenery I have ever seen previewed - I am definitely going to jump into Aerofly FS2 now as a result of seeing these. 

Looks like my long term plan is going to be a 3 sim one - P3D v4 for my long flying with all the bells and whistles, X Plane 11 so I can fly a good 757 in and out of Iceland (specific use case I know) and Aerofly FS2 for VFR flying in smaller regions.

That said, Aerofly have a fantastic opportunity here - they have performance out of the box. Without knowing how the sim works, if they are able to developers on board with weather, AI traffic and complex aircraft and coupled with expanding global Orbx type scenery, there is a very real chance this could become a top sim. It doesn't necessarily sound like that is their plan at this point but I reckon that could change if people jump on board. VERY impressed

For those who are looking for AI and ATC, Pilot Edge has mentioned interest in supporting it.  That will be huge for the level of realism that the scenery, VR and smoothness already offered by AF2 has when you add those into the mix. My feeling is that we are coming into an era of having various sims for various flights more so than ever in the past.

For AF2 I plan to use it for my VFR GA SoCal daylight sim and look to load up on Orbx addons in that region as they are released. Having the Photoreal ground textures allows for the best VFR. Neither P3D or AF2 can touch XP11 for night time lighting and thats what I use that for and as my helo sim since XP11 shines the brightest there as well. P3D is my main sim and where I will always looks to use as my sim for addons and more complex a/c as well as GA.

Now about LOWI...your scenery looks like a masterpiece Jarrad and a great way to introduce Orbx and Ipacs and what the future will look like! 

There was mention that the crash detection is better in AF2 and that with all sliders max we still have a smooth sim (I concur now that I got my new 7700K/1080Ti/M.2 rig) so with this new headroom and set of tools, is there anything else that either you JV or Jarrad are excited about adding to the toolbox that you now get that might not be available in FSX/P3D?

One thing that is not mentioned when talking about those mountains to those who dont have AF2 is that they there is no mesh correcting or popping, what you see stays just like that whole time its insight, something that is nice to see when in mountainous terrain.

Does anybody know if it is even possible to add things like AI, ATC or more sophisticated avionics to AFS 2? I heard that so far features like Nav Aids or route planning are very basic, so it seems that Aerofly is meant more for casual flying than "as real as it gets" simulation. Do the developers plan to add the more complex stuff later or will they focus more on the fun,  gaming aspect of flight simulation? 

5 minutes ago, fabs79 said:

Does anybody know if it is even possible to add things like AI, ATC or more sophisticated avionics to AFS 2? I heard that so far features like Nav Aids or route planning are very basic, so it seems that Aerofly is meant more for casual flying than "as real as it gets" simulation. Do the developers plan to add the more complex stuff later or will they focus more on the fun,  gaming aspect of flight simulation? 

From my limited knowledge on this (and please people correct me if I'm wrong) my understanding is that the focus initially has been on the visuals and performance side of things first, getting that right in particular for use in situations like VR (where high frame rates are needed). I'd imagine for them to open things up to developers for AI or ATC purposes they'd need their own SDK or Simconnect type link.

If their focus has been about getting the performance right first then I do believe that this makes it a very good starting platform to bring in add-ons moving forward. It sounds like there is no real tweaking needed. With frame rate overheads in the 100+ FPS then there is ample room for the weather, traffic, ATC add-ons to slot in and still offer great performance I'd guess.

Another assumption is that if they have default aircraft working on a basic level (think default FSX) then there probably isn't any reason why others in the future couldn't add more complexity. If not PMDG levels then perhaps on the GA side with an A2A or similar? All just guesses on my part but the LOWI images have made me very interested in Aerofly so I'm currently absorbing as much of the info out there on it with a view to getting it set up in the next couple of months.

- Release is scheduled for June 15th 2017 (a special request from John - it's his birthday after all!)

.... well.. that's my name and cake day too... that was a bit scary...  but, I really appreciate the upcoming b'day present!

Anyway, any chance of a tiny video to view this marvel?

I am afraid this is all a bit much for my grey matter to take in but I'm sure as time passes I'll get to know it a lot better.

All the planes in FSX whether default or one's bought over the years will they still be usable? I ask this as I am thinking about buying the new Sim within the next few days.

Last question.  Apart from the new release airport LOWI which will go with the new sim, what about all the others are they usable too or Just for FSX ( like those good old Aussie airports)

JimNZ

18 minutes ago, JimNZ said:

I am afraid this is all a bit much for my grey matter to take in but I'm sure as time passes I'll get to know it a lot better.

All the planes in FSX whether default or one's bought over the years will they still be usable? I ask this as I am thinking about buying the new Sim within the next few days.

Last question.  Apart from the new release airport LOWI which will go with the new sim, what about all the others are they usable too or Just for FSX ( like those good old Aussie airports)

JimNZ

Nothing from p3d / FSX will work in Aerofly. They are completely different platforms

On 28.4.2017 at 1:17 PM, J van E said:

I would also love to see my favorite country Norway in Aerofly FS 2 but I don't think this will happen in the foreseeable future because the regions are 95% based upon generic textures, the landclass system: Aerofly is and will be 100% photoreal. So Orbx can't just port the regions to Aerofly. The Orbx airports are all photoreal already so that's 'no problem', so to speak. But an Aerofly compliant region would need a complete photoreal coverage and while that isn't a huge problem for the US (Aerofly's default scenery) it is a problem for regions like Norway.

Give us the right tool (SDK). :)

These can be found free of charge on "Norge i bilder".

http://www.norgeibilder.no/

35 minutes ago, alcliff said:

Give us the right tool (SDK). :)

These can be found free of charge on "Norge i bilder".

http://www.norgeibilder.no/

The SDK was released very quickly after Aerofly arrived on Steam as Ipacs considered it a very high priority, and in fact people have already created small test sceneries, painted planes, and even started work on 3rd party aircraft. The SDK is still evolving, but it does exist:

http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/7725-Getting-the-Aerofly-FS-2-SDK-(-Software-Development-Kit-)

https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/dokuwiki/

http://www.ipacs.de/forum/forumdisplay.php/45-Aerofly-FS-2-Flight-Simulator-Developers

John/Jarrad,

Even though there is not an Austria DLC does the 275 km East/West extended area for LOWI butt up against the Switzerland DLC?  Enabling flights from Zurich and Geneva to LOWI.

Regards,

Ray

My question is that first, knowing the FPS and geometry overhead Orbx now has available with Aerofly, and having seen mention of animation and Peopleflow, will we eventually be seeing any of the other "flows?"

Natureflow and Animalflow, etc?

Great news all around for those who love VFR flying.  I myself am super impressed with the screenies captured.  I will admire it through you all though as I have no intention of going the AF route but man what a treat it is to look at these beauties.  I will be cheering the ORBX Team on as they make these new relationships and developments.  Great stuff :)

As John said, the "comparisons" between the 3 main sims today...AF2, P3D, and X-Plane...are meaningless.  They are each totally different products (at this time) and obviously have different "loyalist" user bases.  So please, comments like "This makes P3D obsolete! (sic)" are a disservice to new members of the flight simming community. There is currently no way I can load up a $100+ complex airplane like an NGX into AF2 to simulate...well...a COMPLEX aircraft.  And that's OK.  And that is why P3D and X-Plane will not be replaced by AF2 (as of yet...and I seriously doubt a platform like a 64-bit P3D would get "replaced" by much of anything).

What remains to be seen is how much "more complex" AF2 can be made and STILL retain all the performance characteristics it has today.  If adding more complex scenery, AI, ATC, 737NGX-type user aircraft, weather engines, (insert your favorite addon type, etc) end up bringing AF2 to it's knees (which I don't see happening as of now, but there is a big difference in 2D flat screen vs 3D VR system demands and outputs), then the community would be best served by NOT trying to turn AF2 into an "addon disaster" of poor performance.

There is extreme potential for AF2.  But I use BOTH AF2 and P3Dv3 for Oculus VR flying, and they BOTH work fine.  Of course, I have to make some concessions with P3D or else face the wrath of the (still current) OOM gremlins (but hey...so do P3D users flying on a 2d flat monitor).  But there is a definite "WOW!" factor yet for many of us using a complex aircraft like a PMDG in a Rift or Vive VR environment.

What I would really like to see for now in AF2 is the ability to EASILY construct a flight plan.  Seriously.  I can fly the default 737 and Airbus in it between major airports, like KLAS to KLAX (Las Vegas to Los Angeles).  And I can even do it using SIDS and STARS navigation!!!  All the waypoints exist in the sim already, and will "plug into" the Navigation list.  The PROBLEM is I have to "hunt and peck" on the map screen to FIND the waypoints to enter in the "flightplan".  Even though the fixes (intersections, etc) are displayed on the map to select, they aren't LABELED by name (even mousing over them won't display their name).  It's just a pain, and too time consuming, to have to "hunt and peck" to find all the fixes for a SID and STAR that way.  Include a "Build a Flightplan" that is much easier in AF2, and it will help BOTH VFR and IFR flight simmers (and the Low-and Slow vs the Flight Level Tubeliner users).

Who's marketing whom? I'll wait till all the horses run down main street before deciding which one I'll put my saddle on.

Hat's off to ORBX, however, for positioning themselves as THE go-to add-on, no matter what you fly.

33 minutes ago, hypercide said:

Who's marketing whom? I'll wait till all the horses run down main street before deciding which one I'll put my saddle on.

Hat's off to ORBX, however, for positioning themselves as THE go-to add-on, no matter what you fly.

Exactly!

So John answered the prime question for me regarding AF2 or P3D - based on flight details/VFR experience such that AF2 is seemingly set for shorter flights etc. Since I am not prepared ti lay out for another whole Sim I am glad, same too for VR at the present pricing...my god where do you all get your money? I mean I have a good job as does my wife, but couldn't justify dropping even more....what I am hoping is that P3D will quickly embrace 64bit - soon dammit... and that scenery and other aspects will follow suit...

It seems to me that AF2 is in about the same place subLogic Flight Simulator was in 1985-86

Hey, 4 color landscape and instrument panel that could run on my Commodore 64 was nothing to sneeze at. Even some of the military simulators weren't as good (I was in an F-14 squadron at the time)

The initial limitation was the number of flying areas…if I remember correctly, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angles, Chicago, and NYC. Then folks started adding areas…I got Denver…it had actual mountains…they were brown…how cool was that.

My understanding is that just like a he original FS, AF2 comes with a limited number of flying areas and airfields. And now ORBX has added a great scenery area. Again, shades of how MSFS developed and expanded.

However, it took MS a little over 20 years to get the world scenery covered to the FSX level, and companies like ORBX another decade to build on that to the point where we are today…call it 30 years total.

Hopefully AF2 won't take as long. I doubt I'll be around 30 years from now and I want to fly in an AF2 world that is as expansive as FSX is today. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great , I Purchased AF2 a while ago , played for a while and returned to FSX , just hope now that ORBX are on board which lifts the standards for AF2 that AF2 developers add more functionality to the sim , such as more cockpit interaction , more weather options and ATC, Is ORBX going to continue with FSX as well as AF2?

Archived