Welcome to a New Era: Presenting FTX Innsbruck for Aerofly FS2 Flight Simulator!

0cJbyME.jpg

G'day all, 

After months of discussion, speculation and rumours, ORBX are proud to announce our first venture into "Project A": FTX Innsbruck for Aerofly FS2 Flight Simulator! 

A close collaboration between ORBX and IPACS, both teams have been quietly working away at this over the past months, bringing together the ground-breaking visual engine of Aerofly FS2 with the high detail and immersion you have come to expect from an ORBX HD Airport.

For those who haven't had a chance to try AF FS2 yet, I strongly urge you to check it out. As a VFR experience, this is the best sim currently on the market, hands down. As you can see from the screenshots below, there is a clear mark-up in terrain quality - mountains look crisp, photoreal roads and railways are discernible all the way to the horizon, and both the shadow and atmospheric engines are stunning. Best of all, performance is through the roof - having spent a great deal of time learning from the IPACS team, I have discovered that they are passionate about tweaking the very best performance out of their engine as possible. 

In terms of the scenery itself, I've brought across the best elements of the FSX/P3D version that you've all been enjoying over the past month. Features expected from any next-gen ORBX airport are there - animated PeopleFlow, cars and trains, highly-detailed autogen vegetation and buildings, enormous coverage area, high-detail 2048 textures and dozens of landmarks. In addition, expect to see a couple of very exciting new features exclusive to AF FS2; naturally sloped runways, highly accurate crash detection (no more close-calls when flying under those bridges!), better-implemented spec/bump maps for the ground poly, and some very nifty shadow/night textures. Lastly, the optimisation of this engine really makes a difference - performance, microstutters and VAS usage are genuinely nothing to worry about around Innsbruck. I've been easily getting upwards of 130-140fps with maxed settings. 

Lastly, for those that own or are looking forward to a VR headset, AeroFly FS2 provides native compatibility for both Occulus Rift and HTC Vive. The smoothness and performance of the sim with, coupled with the native compatibility, make this the superior platform for VFR flying - I'm sure JV will chime in with his own experiences with the OR and AeroFly. 

CURRENT PRICING and RELEASE DETAILS

- Owners of the FSX/P3D version of LOWI will receive a 40% discount for the AeroFly FS2 version.

- Full price will be AUD$39.95 (€27, US$30, £23 approx.) or AUD$24 (€17, US$18, £14 approx.) at the discounted price

- Release is scheduled for June 15th 2017 (a special request from John - it's his birthday after all!)

- FTX Innsbruck for AeroFly FS2 will be previewed live at FlightSimCon on June 10th 2017; this will be streamed via our good friends at AirDailyX

- This is just the first of many ORBX airports for AeroFly FS2!

FTX INNSBRUCK for AEROFLY FS2 FEATURES:

- Innsbruck Airport recreated in full HD detail

- Full 2500 square km coverage area

- Sloped runway! A key feature of AF FS2

- Ultra-crisp terrain textures. Defined mountains, roads and rivers all the way to the horizon, no more blurries.  

- Incredible performance on even mid-range systems - far superior to FSX/P3D

- Amazing Virtual Reality integration: optimised for performance and smoothness, best-in-class.

- Full animation support: Moving PeopleFlow, vehicles and trains

- Complete autogen system - a major new feature previously unseen in AeroFly FS, expertly designed by the team at IPACS. 

- Volumetric grass 

- Crisp and accurate shadow engine

- Dozens of landmarks, POI and features, including two heliports. 

- Stunning atmospheric engine perfectly suited to VFR flying.

Lastly, it is important to note that these screenshots are work in progress, and there may be minor changes before the final version, though they should convey a good idea of where the development cycle is at. Also, this is exactly how the sim looks out-of-the-box! No tweaks, no edits, no display cfg changes, no other third-party addons (yes, those beautiful aircraft are default) - just FTX Innsbruck and AeroFly FS2, that's it!

Enjoy :)

vpF63kj.jpg

tC5M8XG.jpg

SJtWBVT.jpg

FGnJ1mI.jpg

UFkRRf8.jpg

0hHR5Zj.jpg

Aj1M6TM.jpg

QvBLrQL.jpg

XEkbVm4.jpg

rAm0a74.jpg

yfz8YUw.jpg

yPsXXYk.jpg

nvcj0OG.jpg

dyTxSSC.jpg

StY1747.jpg

iI8NMu1.jpg

SIf7fmE.jpg

IJFK6VG.jpg

PcFbYKA.jpg

R8iOlja.jpg

ZL0ekLJ.jpg

I5UMwlG.jpg

AqUOXlA.jpg

byrSYgR.jpg

eYQ7sby.jpg

wtaKwxM.jpg

7x3ibJD.jpg

fTZqVFO.jpg

xlPlMMS.jpg

G4xoHAE.jpg

nqOaRK1.jpg

LgyQxMI.jpg

FhfFkMD.jpg

w4udHk7.jpg

jcRugYe.jpg

seKsSMU.jpg

J300LK1.jpg

BT8vjtB.jpg

RN9BtGE.jpg

WFLat4H.jpg

4gLj9RL.jpg

Cp2ea9J.jpg

OK9TstW.jpg

u7RwPP5.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jarrad and FS2 team, looks amazing!

How does the sloping runway work? Does it rely on a HD mesh or is it a 3d model?

Can we see a ground level shot of the runway or is it not that pronounced at Innsbruck?

Thanks a lot! 

Nick

5 minutes ago, John Venema said:

The realism you're seeing is due to the advanced lighting system used by AFS2. This image could easily be mistaken for a photo:

Yes, definitely, this looks like a RW photo!!

I seems like you guys really want to force me buying AFS2? :D

I'm really impressed by the LOWI screenshots, and I love AF2, but instead of just airports, I was really hoping that you would make /convert the regions for AF2. Especially Norway would be a real treat to fly in. Are there any plans for ORBX to do whole regions for AF2? 

The one thing I really miss in AF2 is AI. I know you have made an ai pack for the US and one for Australia for FSX/P3D, do you think it ever will be possible to do something similar for AF2

Graphically and scenery wise this is extremely amazing, incredible work from you guys.

If AF2 gets proper system depth reaching at least the A2A Accusim niveau, I´d try it. Those guys just spoiled me...

I would like to buy for AF2 and have a possibly be offered that 40% for a P3Dv4 version (if P3Dv4 shapes up with similar performance and works properly in VR).

This is just fantastic work all round and a stunning start to what will be the premier sim.

Looks great. LOWI is in Austria and AF2 doesn't yet have Austria covered. So can I assume an Austria DLC is forthcoming so it fits in with LOWI. I also note the mention of Autogen. Is this just the autogen covered in the LOWI scenery or is there to be autogen in all the AF2 DLCs with the input thereof by Orbx?

Aerofly FS 2 already is my sim of choice (don't have FSX/P3D/XP11 installed anymore) due to the great graphics, utterly uncredible smooth performance and native Rift support. This scenery will make AFS2 almost perfect...! I am very curious to see how all that detail looks in VR (which has a rather low res feel due to its limitations)! It's also good to hear performance with this kind of extremely detailed scenery is still far superior to the other sims! This is an absolute must have for me! And something the sim was needing too, I might add, because the default scenery, nice as it is in some regards, could use some help. ;)

20 minutes ago, jlund said:

I'm really impressed by the LOWI screenshots, and I love AF2, but instead of just airports, I was really hoping that you would make /convert the regions for AF2. Especially Norway would be a real treat to fly in. Are there any plans for ORBX to do whole regions for AF2? 

The one thing I really miss in AF2 is AI. I know you have made an ai pack for the US and one for Australia for FSX/P3D, do you think it ever will be possible to do something similar for AF2

I would also love to see my favorite country Norway in Aerofly FS 2 but I don't think this will happen in the foreseeable future because the regions are 95% based upon generic textures, the landclass system: Aerofly is and will be 100% photoreal. So Orbx can't just port the regions to Aerofly. The Orbx airports are all photoreal already so that's 'no problem', so to speak. But an Aerofly compliant region would need a complete photoreal coverage and while that isn't a huge problem for the US (Aerofly's default scenery) it is a problem for regions like Norway.

4 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

I also note the mention of Autogen. Is this just the autogen covered in the LOWI scenery or is there to be autogen in all the AF2 DLCs with the input thereof by Orbx?

I was thinking (and hoping) the same. I'd also LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to see Orbx's HD Trees in Aerofly! (And also some manual replacement of the rather crappy placed default trees, please. ;) )

34 minutes ago, jlund said:

We will be making photoreal regions for AFS2. We have not announced which one is first yet though.

IPACS have made new autogen trees for LOWI which closely match Orbx trees.

There is no Austria region for AFS2 but remember the scenery spans 2,500 sq kms.

There are many new systems and enhancements planned for AFS2 but I will leave that to IPACS to share as they continue to develop the sim. Orbx is collaborating on a number of tech fronts with them.

We have some night time previews coming next week.

Now we are talking JV !

I may be one of the few in regard to wanting autogen buildings and trees in AF2 from previous comments made when I have mentioned it before. I really think though that for VFR low and slow that buildings are essential for immersion. Not the same for tube flying.

There are some high quality photoreal  sceneries like Austria Pro that include a full range of autogen, so the technique is there, it doesn't need to rely on generic textures and landclass. It requires careful placement of the autogens. I have another autogen product that places pretty accurately ( with some exceptions in size of buildings) the covers the photoscenery of England & Wales (GenX) so it can be done.

I look forward very much to Orbx's involvement with AF" and it is making me consider the need for me to buy P3D4 if it is not upto the current engine standard available with AF2.

I will wait and see.

This is indeed an exciting announcement and the beginning of what I feel will be a great new era in Flight Simming. Congratulations Orbx, Aerofly and Jarrod. In anticipation I have already started planning my hardware upgrades to accommodate AS2. And thank you John for offering such an enlightening purchase model for existing customers. Bring it on. (Tempted to use caps then lol)

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

Heads up on a problem with this page in any browser when viewed on an iPad using anything other than Tapatalk. The page fails to load and continually tries to reload. This is happing to me with Safari, Chrome or Tapatalk's inbuilt browser.

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

Omg. Looks amazing. It's tiring seeing FSX/P3D/XP all struggle with FPS performance while this can do that kind of detail like a walk in the park. Both LR and LM should watch and learn. This collab should bring a lot of new traffic to Aerofly, awesome move!

49 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

1 question though.

Is this only suited to VR?

TTM

Absolutely not, AFS2 is a fantastic experience on 2D monitors, especially at 4K which I run it on. You will get well over 100fps+ at LOWI (depending on hardware/sliders) so it is smooth as butter. The reason it is especially suited to VR is that getting each screen in an Oculus Rift running at 45fps in full stereo projection is a walk in the park for this sim, so it's extremely fluid without stutters - very important for VR.

And please don't disregard P3D; these sims serve very different purposes. P3D is the premiere platform for simming today with all the sophistication included to allow deep system airliners, AI, ATC, a myriad of weather and texture options, thousands of addons, aircraft and much more. AFS2 is the smooth, fluid 'quick fix' sim which is suited to VFR flying and having a briefer session versus P3D.

Thanks John for the clarifications above. It seems clear to me that it is not a question of AFS2 or P3D. For the overall great flight simulator on most accounts P3D seems still to be the way to go (and will surely continue to improve too with each new update and version). However, quick loading, and extremely high fps is what seems to set AFS2 apart. So duplicating the entire catalog of addons to suit AFS2 is still not what most probably want, ORBX included :-) Rather, AFS2 is an extra that we can enjoy for fun and speed and at a relatively modest cost. 

This is really wonderful news. I hope it generates some respect for AFS2, which really deserves to be taken more seriously by many in the flight sim community.

Bravo Orbx.

2 hours ago, John Venema said:

IPACS have made new autogen trees for LOWI which closely match Orbx trees.

That is great news. In a similar vein, 2500km2 looks to me as though it might include Lake Achensee. If so, will we see default IPACS water or Orbx water?

12 minutes ago, John Venema said:

AFS2 has no animated water bodies or shaders at present, it is only photoreal imagery of water.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not unhappy. How can I be unhappy with all this great news? Its just something else to look forward to later. Hmm, you did say "at present".... let's see what the situation is when Meigs Field is previewed.

Jarrad,

it was a real pleasure to meet you in Tubingen! And since then I checked OrbX nearly daily for any anouncement about LOWI.

I'm really happy that John decided to go with IPACS aerofly FS2.

This is a must have for all aerofly users and I can't wait to place my order.

So many thanks for this outstanding work and we know now, that this is just the beginning of even more stuff and features for aerofly!

Regards

Rodeo

As a use of Aerofly FS2, I will definitely buy this...for the trees alone.

And I seriously believe this is the beginning of a new era, in which we will finally walk out of the long time trauma of Microsoft's unforgivable mistake of discontinuing Microsoft flight simulator.

Archived