(Kazahkstan) Almaty to Issyk Kul (Kyrgyzstan)

andy1252

I've actually been to Almaty on an '80s package tour of the 'stans. As I remember, the airport here had the rather unusual feature of a public convenience in the main "concourse" with a wall made of glass bricks. You could see a fuzzy but perfectly distinguishable image of the appropriate functions taking place in the loos from the seating area outside. Interesting concept, but I suspect the idea never caught on elsewhere.

Thought I'd take a look around the city and surrounding area to see how it looked

k3GQQys.jpg

yF7YiK0.jpg

and then looked at the map and thought the trip over to UAFL might be worthwhile,

7j1HPZu.jpg

so went back and switched into something marginally more appropriate and headed off to the mountains

uPo2L8X.jpg

GCrwpFY.jpg

coming out the other side, lake Issyk Kul ahead

oick9yJ.jpg

When Asia gets the OLC treatment (I'm not holding my breath for a full-fat Kazahkstan though) it should be great around some of these spots

bZsYjB6.jpg

Approaching Issyk Kul International Airport. I think this rendering may be a little on the basic side, even for the 'stans.

CcBvHfz.jpg

Wot? no terminal?

QxEm15j.jpg

It's a bit more complex in RL, not Heathrow by any means but . . .

LZyzUfR.jpg

Actually, the area around the lake and the mountains is quite pleasant in its generic form. Nice geography.

I am surprised by how detailed and three dimensional the city looks in the 1st and 2nd screenies and then how ordinary the landscape is in the 4th and 5th screenies by comparison.

Maybe to do with the resolution of the screenies?

Archived