Heading Back To FSX

iflygary

I actually can't believe I'm saying this, but looks like I'm heading back to FSX Steam from P3D V3.  Lately it seems like P3D has become more unstable on my system.  I just can't seem to find a fix for the pause/stutters. Plus, now that FSX has cloud shadows available, and with virtually zero stutters, FSX seems to be running BETTER than P3D for me.  I'm sure lots of folks will tell me I'm probably making a mistake but for now, FSX Steam it is!!

Gary

Interesting post Gary. I've pretty much gone back to FSX also because of P3D stutter problems that I can't fix. I threw in the towel a couple of weeks ago. And I thought I was the only guy crazy enough to do that . Anyway, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one :) ..........Doug

8 minutes ago, Greg Busby said:

I'm still running the boxed version of FSX and it runs great on my dedicated FSX rig

It would be interesting to know how many people use the FSX box version compared to steam.  I use steam mainly because they fixed a few bugs.  Any comments on which people think is better?

I am content with FSX (until a true 64 bit program comes out anyway). Since selecting only that scenery required for a particular flight in my scenery library I have not experienced even one OOM issue.

I only use FSX boxed, I'm a creature of habit I guess. I know there

are flaws with all versions of FS but it comes down to a personal choice

for now. I would love P3D, for a little more reality in scenery but for now I can get by.

cheers

Gumby

I still use only my original FSX/Acceleration boxed editions.

I can't really see any point in moving to steam.

When the 64 bit version of P3D is released, then I will probably give that a shot. Not sure that I will rush though as no doubt it will need updates for a while to correct any issues that the developers/testers missed.

Cheers

Paul

3 hours ago, Geezer said:

It would be interesting to know how many people use the FSX box version compared to steam.  I use steam mainly because they fixed a few bugs.  Any comments on which people think is better?

I have FSX (boxed) as well as FSX-SE, and I have to say (against a veritable tidal wave of opposing opinion) that on my system, FSX boxed runs marginally smoother. My system is quite old now, and maybe the fixes Dovetail made in FSX-SE were more appropriate to newer hardware and/or better graphic cards. Having said that, I use still use both, but in slightly different ways.

I exclusively use P3d3.  No stutters here at all and much better performance than with FSX (comparing the same settings in regards to shadows etc.). And no progressive blurries, which I experienced in FSX. I actually never looked back to FSX.

I use FSX boxed with both SPs added. I tried P3D when it first came out. My problem had to more with migrating FSINN and CoPilot for use with my MP flights. Even with the Migration Tool, I could not get things to work. So, I got a refund from LM and fortunately had not uninstalled all my FSX gear. I am in a sweet spot with no blurries, solid fps (except large airports of course where things bog down).

Sherm

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

I exclusively use P3d3.  No stutters here at all and much better performance than with FSX (comparing the same settings in regards to shadows etc.). And no progressive blurries, which I experienced in FSX. I actually never looked back to FSX.

Wolfko I was exactly where you are now with P3D performance when I initially jumped over to it.  I never really had an FSX performance issue, it was P3D's eye candy that really captured my attention.  For me it seems as though the latest updates wreaked havoc for me.  Then after trying to revert back to the prior versions, I just couldn't regain my "sweet spots".  I'm not even sure when LM comes out with their 64bit platform, that will be enough to get me back because just as others have pointed out in other threads, it will probably be awhile before they get it tweaked just right and I'm not ready to pony up and repurchase A2A, PMDG, etc., etc.  I don't know if it's because I've been away from it for so long as to why I'm really appreciating my FSX, but it's as smooth as butter for me!!

I'm to lazy to reinstall everything, on top all the personal setting with EZDOK, joystick... and so on.

How many payware (plane and scenery) to reinstall and to re-download...

Nah, for me it's not worth moving to P3D, not for now

Ben

Hey all, I've done my annual Sim reinstall And I've just moved over to FSX Steam DX10 from FSX ACC DX10 and I've got to say, I love it! My Boxed version ran beautifully but the Steam version runs even better!! 

wish I did it sooner.

That being said I will move to P3D sooner or later, I'm just not as impressed with it like I thought I would be.

Mabey V4 will be the one that does it for me

Cheers

Greg Z

It was those frustrating pauses/stutters in P3Dv3 that caused me to just put aside flight simulation at the start of this year (I'm also busy with life right now). I believe in my case, those pauses may be related to loading of complex scenery areas as I fly over certain areas (as I can consistently recreate those pauses).

I'm keeping an eye on the latest developments and am especially interested in whether the upcoming 64-bit P3Dv4 will have further scenery loading optimizations that help ease those pauses, time will tell.

I tried the new XP 11 and even though it has some nice features I went back to FSX boxed. As many of us have time and money invested in P3D or FSX I just couldn't just let it go. I would love to see what the new P3D v4 looks like. I didn't make the move to P3D since I heard of v4 on the horizon. The best part is ORBX and 90% of FSX add-ons would be able to transition to P3D v4.

Archived