From birthplace to workplace

VH-KDK

Here is the Armstrong Whitworth Whitley.

One of the 3 twin engine bombers that was the backbone of Bomber Command when war broke out in 1939. Almost obsolete in 1939 it was the only one of the 3 that was designed as a night bomber. Eventually powered by Merlins the Whitley continued in the front line until the arrival of the 4 engine heavies. It was then used for various other roles until the end of the war.

1.bs1.jpg

Leaving over Coventry's Baginton Airport, where the Whitley was designed and built.

2.bs2.jpg

Coventry with it's famous Cathedral below the port engine.

3.bs3.jpg

Passing by the market town of Hinckley.

4.bs4.jpg

Now at Leicester, where miracles happen! The M1 motorway is prominent. Like the Stirling bomber, the Whitley flies nose down. This is due to the angle of incidence of the wing which was originally designed without flaps. The tapered design of the fuselage also accentuates the nose down attitude.

5.bs5.jpg

Just in front of the nose is the 954ft tall tv transmitter tower at Waltham on the Wolds. The original one collapsed in 1966.

6.bs6.jpg

Now descending and passing Waddington.

7.bs7.jpg

At Lincoln with the Castle and Cathedral clearly visible.

8.bs8.jpg

The destination is Scampton, the original base of the famous 617 Squadron. As far as I can make out Whitleys were not based here.

9.bs9.jpg

Turning to line up on rwy 22

10.bs10.jpg

Touching down at Scampton.

Thanks for flying along.

Fascinating stuff, Martyn. Do you just know this stuff or do you have to do huge amounts of research for these trips? Either way, it's pd impressive. As for the Whitley - of course it was a night bomber - way too ugly to be seen out in daylight <grin>. (Yeah, yeah, I know, eye of the beholder etc)

3 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Fascinating stuff, Martyn. Do you just know this stuff or do you have to do huge amounts of research for these trips? Either way, it's pd impressive. As for the Whitley - of course it was a night bomber - way too ugly to be seen out in daylight <grin>. (Yeah, yeah, I know, eye of the beholder etc)

Cheers Andy, some stuff I know but a lot I research is required. I do though enjoy learning when constructing these posts but it does take a bit of time.

I took a punt (a gamble that is, not the boat which would have taken too long!) on going to Scampton, only to find out that the Whitley was never based there.

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Andy, some stuff I know but a lot I research is required. I do though enjoy learning when constructing these posts but it does take a bit of time.

I took a punt (a gamble that is, not the boat which would have taken too long!) on going to Scampton, only to find out that the Whitley was never based there.

However you make it, your descriptions are so great. As is your freeware collection.

12 minutes ago, jury42 said:

That's russian plastic model assembled 30 years ago.

Well, the Frog model moulds were sold to Russia. Initially released by Novo. Then sold on............... If it is 1/72nd scale then it is probably the old Frog (UK) model. :)

46 minutes ago, jury42 said:

1/72. Yes, it's the old Frog (UK) model (Novo).

Cheers Jury!

I thought that it might have been. I was a modeller in my youth (65 years old soon!).

Frog made some great models!

The one that I always regret not having was their Supermarine Scimitar. Their model was the N113 prototype. Released about 1957.

(Apologies Martyn if we are going off track, but it is interesting! ;) )

16 hours ago, Sammy H said:

Martyn is bringing more birds out of the barn.....wonderful set buddy!

Thanks Sammy, there are plenty more of them just waiting for their 15 minutes of fame.

15 hours ago, paulb said:

A great series again Martyn :). Nice to see a Whitley flying! The YG denotes 502 Squadron, the first Coastal Command Sqn to use the Whitley.

Cheers Paul and thanks for your continuing info on the markings.

15 hours ago, Stillwater said:

However you make it, your descriptions are so great. As is your freeware collection.

Thanks Gerold, very enjoyable doing these posts and so glad to hear a few of you like them.:)

14 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Martyn I always enjoy your history lessons. I was thinking the same as Andy :)  Sometimes your tours and history lessons are more interesting than anything else.  You'd make a great aviation guide mate!

Thank you Jack, learning heaps about the planes and the locations and forgetting it all within a few days!

10 hours ago, BradB said:

Another freeware gem Martyn , you seem to always come up with something new . :D:)

Cheers

John

Thanks John, it is amazing what is out there and that I am able to get a great percentage of them working.

9 hours ago, PDX Flyer said:

The scenery is beautiful.  The plane is most unusual  ... maybe you have to be a mother "Armstrong Whitworth Whitley" to appreciate it?

Cheers PDX, yeah it would not win a beauty contest would it!

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Very nice indeed.

cheers

Iain

Cheers Iain.

6 hours ago, jury42 said:

My aircraft scale model.

Armstrong Whitworth Whitley.jpg

Beautiful model Jury, those were the days, rushing down to Wooloies after school, then home to start gluing it all together followed by the paint and transfers!

6 hours ago, jury42 said:

Wonderful snippet there,thanks for sharing it. Do not see too many films with Whitleys in it.

4 hours ago, Flying_Grandpa said:

Excellent set

Thank you FG.

1 hour ago, paulb said:

Well, the Frog model moulds were sold to Russia. Initially released by Novo. Then sold on............... If it is 1/72nd scale then it is probably the old Frog (UK) model. :)

53 minutes ago, jury42 said:

1/72. Yes, it's the old Frog (UK) model (Novo).

2 minutes ago, paulb said:

Cheers Jury!

I thought that it might have been. I was a modeller in my youth (65 years old soon!).

Frog made some great models!

The one that I always regret not having was their Supermarine Scimitar. Their model was the N113 prototype. Released about 1957.

(Apologies Martyn if we are going off track, but it is interesting! ;) )

No need to apologise Paul you are so right about this being interesting. It is what the forums are all about. It is still a shame about the demise of the Pilots Lounge.

Yes I can remember this and I still have a couple of unmade Novo kits packed away somewhere. My partner picked a few up dirt cheap and brought them for me. Never heard of Novo until a friend told me what had happened to Frog, I only built Airfix. I was busy building railway kits then and never got round to making them.

Thanks everyone for your input here, greatly appreciated and very interesting too. Incredible the journey the Whitley has taken us on!

3 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Paul and thanks for your continuing info on the markings.

Beautiful model Jury, those were the days, rushing down to Wooloies after school, then home to start gluing it all together followed by the paint and transfers!

No need to apologise Paul you are so right about this being interesting. It is what the forums are all about. It is still a shame about the demise of the Pilots Lounge.

Yes I can remember this and I still have a couple of unmade Novo kits packed away somewhere. My partner picked a few up dirt cheap and brought them for me. Never heard of Novo until a friend told me what had happened to Frog, I only built Airfix. I was busy building railway kits then and never got round to making them.

Thanks everyone for your input here, greatly appreciated and very interesting too. Incredible the journey the Whitley has taken us on!

Cheers Martyn,

Yes, I have a few Frog kits, many Novo and lots of others still lining my garage loft! :D

Thank you Jury for getting this going! :)

Best wishes

Paul

I also have a lot kits in my garage loft. I am  gluing it in 1977 with my 8 old son (now 48).
Many Thanks Paul and  Martyn.
 "Memory all alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember
The time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again"

8 hours ago, paulb said:

Cheers Martyn,

Yes, I have a few Frog kits, many Novo and lots of others still lining my garage loft! :D

Thank you Jury for getting this going! :)

Best wishes

Paul

Cheers Paul, gave mine to the young kid next door to my parents when we came to Oz, apparently he was over the moon.

The aeroplane collection I have on my PC and external drives is easier to handle and does not collect dust!

7 hours ago, jury42 said:

I also have a lot kits in my garage loft. I am  gluing it in 1977 with my 8 old son (now 48).
Many Thanks Paul and  Martyn.
 "Memory all alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember
The time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again"

Cheers Jury and some very poignant words there.

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Paul, gave mine to the young kid next door to my parents when we came to Oz, apparently he was over the moon.

The aeroplane collection I have on my PC and external drives is easier to handle and does not collect dust!

I agree Martyn! I am a collector and now have far too many things! Yes, the pc is a much more efficient home for an aeroplane collection! :)

@paulb, I agree Martyn! I am a collector and now have far too many things! Yes, the pc is a much more efficient home for an aeroplane collection! :)

Yes! I am fly on civilian planes FSX (50) and warcrafts  from Falcon BMS 4.33, DCS A-10,  BOB2.

Archived