Here is another delightful old aircraft the Westland Widgeon. Only 26 were built in the late 20s before production was halted. The Widgeon was much more expensive than it's competitors and Westland had other aircraft the wanted to concentrate on.

1.sd1.jpg

Lifting off from XSTR, Strathallan.

2.sd2.jpg
Just out of view to the left is the town of Auchterader which has the dubious claim to fame of having the most expensive house prices in Scotland.

3.sd3.jpg

The River Earn, a wonderful river for Anglers, is normally shallow and fast flowing.

4.sd4.jpg

Crossing the A9 near Aberuthven. Running from Falkirk to Scrabster the A9 is the longest major road in Scotland.

5.sd5.jpg

The junction of the A90, A912 and M90 at Craigend. The Earn and Tay Rivers can be seen along with Perth.

6.sd6.jpg

A close up of the engine with all of the gubbins on top working away, fascinating. At another quaint place name, Glencarse

7.sd7.jpg

The disused RAF base at Errol on the banks of the Tay Estuary. The area is the stronghold of the fairly rare Bearded Tit. The town of Errol just out of sight to the right of the shot has a large church called the Cathederal of the Carse which was built in 1831.

8.sd8.jpg

Approaching Dundee at Longforgan with the infamous Tay Rail Bridge crossing the estuary.

9.sd9.jpg

Arrival at EGPN.

10sd10.jpg

That's all folks!

Hope you enjoyed this flight in a very beautiful part of the world.

5 minutes ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Grand set indeed & a place I am back up to shortly for some chill time on those stunning mountains / Lochs and  coastlines...Aviemore being my first port of call... :)

Cheers Shaun, hope you have a wonderful time in this beautiful part of the world. I enjoyed my trips up there so many years ago.

Just now, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Shaun, hope you have a wonderful time in this beautiful part of the world. I enjoyed my trips up there so many years ago.

Thankyou..We get up there often to blow away the cobwebs, always telling my Wife whilst driving through that I have flown over this & that...in the sim! ...will have a wee dram on your behalf whilst up there :P

Very interesting Martyn.  Amazed that they built a plane like this is n the 20's, if I'm not mistaken it looks like a cantilever high wing decades before the Cessnas.  Oh, and your tour was outstanding, makes me want to explore Scotland more but when?  LOWI, KSAN, and all the others.  So many places to go.  Wow.

3 hours ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Thankyou..We get up there often to blow away the cobwebs, always telling my Wife whilst driving through that I have flown over this & that...in the sim! ...will have a wee dram on your behalf whilst up there :P

I do it the other way round Shaun as I fly over places in FS that I have only driven in the UK! Do dheagh shlainte.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very interesting Martyn.  Amazed that they built a plane like this is n the 20's, if I'm not mistaken it looks like a cantilever high wing decades before the Cessnas.  Oh, and your tour was outstanding, makes me want to explore Scotland more but when?  LOWI, KSAN, and all the others.  So many places to go.  Wow.

Cheers Jack, it is what is called a Parasol Wing. It is not actually integral with the fuselage but rather supported by struts and braces. It was part of a programme to built affordable aircraft but turned out being too expensive.

I have flown very little in the past over the UK and Ireland so I thought it was about time to remedy the situation. Really enjoying it and the weather so far has been pretty kind!

Thank you Jack and Shaun for your comments.

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Jack, it is what is called a Parasol Wing. It is not actually integral with the fuselage but rather supported by struts and braces. It was part of a programme to built affordable aircraft but turned out being too expensive.

That's really interesting Martyn!  I always love aviation history.  They seemed to be visionaries in the 20's to build a plane like this.

Archived