Andy, an old B52, The Battle of Hastings

VH-KDK

My quest for old, mainly British aircraft continues.

I found the Defiant the other day and Andy reminded me of the Fairey Battle.

Only in FS9, but a bit of jiggling and hey presto!

1.bh1.jpg

Taking off from EGKL Deanland in West Sussex.

2.bh2.jpg

Not far from Lower Dicker is the Long Man of Wilmington. This one is a bit more modest then another I have seen on here.

3.bh3.jpg

Heading east over Eastbourne.

4.bh4.jpg

Bexhill is on the left and we are at Hastings. Much nicer weather and circumstances from the one time I visited here 52 years ago. My favourite uncle had lost his life in an industrial accident at nearby Robertsbridge and we had come for the Coronial Inquest. A late summer's day it was belting down with rain and with the heavy cloud, very dark. 

5.bh5.jpg

Now inland from Hastings and at Westfield.

6.bh6.jpg

Where it all happened in 1066. Senlac Hill, the site of The Battle of Hastings.

7.bh7.jpg

Flying back to Deanland, here at Hailsham.

8.bh8.jpg

Wheels down and wondering if such a heavy plane will land on a short strip.

9..bh9.jpg      

Beautiful South Downs scenery.

10.bh10.jpg

Perfect touch down.

11.bh11.jpg

The Battle is enjoying being out of moth balls and does not want to stop. Passing the end of the runway and still doing 43kts. Sorry about your field of turnip Farmer Giles!

12.bh12.jpg

Parked up after a bit of farmwork. Another beautiful, if not dated freeware plane.

If you look at the starboard side of the Battle you will see why the reference to the B-52!

Poor old Harold Godwinson - up north, killing his brother and a whole bunch of Danes then fast track down to Hastings to meet the Norman 'bastard'.  An original 'multi-tasker' and still gets an arrow in the face.  What's a Saxon to do - Robin Hood wasn't even born yet.  And nice historic shots of the Boulton Paul - an aircraft that missed its war.

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Not far from Lower Dicker is the Long Man of Wilmington.

Hah! A true "coffee all over keyboard" moment there! Sounded like a Not the Nine O'Clock News announcement so I had to go verify on Google and you're right (of course). Ain't life grand? Lovely set of shots and a great narrative Martyn, you really are a very fluent tour guide! Interesting to see the Battle, but boy is it an ugly old tank. Still, eye of the beholder and all that.

11 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Interesting aircraft.

Nice set of shots.

TTM

Thank you TTM.

11 hours ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Thanks for the lovely shots and the great comments.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

You are welcome Eberhard.

10 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Top-whiz series of captures Mister!

Thanks Bermuda.

10 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Another excellent set of shots Martyn and mate, I always love you narrated tours.

Thanks for that Jack.

10 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Poor old Harold Godwinson - up north, killing his brother and a whole bunch of Danes then fast track down to Hastings to meet the Norman 'bastard'.  An original 'multi-tasker' and still gets an arrow in the face.  What's a Saxon to do - Robin Hood wasn't even born yet.  And nice historic shots of the Boulton Paul - an aircraft that missed its war.

Revenge is a meal best served cold. Remember Agincourt!

9 hours ago, BradB said:

Between the great narrative and the shots to match , you have the making of a great post Martyn . :):)

Cheers

John

Thank you John.

8 hours ago, adambar said:

Just when I was on a roll, you threw me another zinger Martyn, thanks a lot. :(  Great shots of yet another plane I never saw. :D

A great place for discovery Adam, I have learned heaps on here from others posts.

6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain

6 hours ago, jury42 said:

Very nice old plane!

Cheers Jury.

4 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent series and commentary Martyn :). 52-B denotes 52 Squadron, late 1937.

Cheers for the info Paul, now I know.

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Hah! A true "coffee all over keyboard" moment there! Sounded like a Not the Nine O'Clock News announcement so I had to go verify on Google and you're right (of course). Ain't life grand? Lovely set of shots and a great narrative Martyn, you really are a very fluent tour guide! Interesting to see the Battle, but boy is it an ugly old tank. Still, eye of the beholder and all that.

Thanks Andy, glad you enjoyed the coincidental place name and wasn't that a wonderful era of comedy.

The poor old Battle didn't stay on front line combat duties for long being no match for the opposition and at times a 40% attrition rate.

1 hour ago, Flying_Grandpa said:

Amazing set

Cheers FG.

Many thanks to you all for your wonderful comments, glad you enjoyed the post.

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I knew the B-52s are in service for many years now, but I did not know that they were so outdated. All these savings programs.

With fewer engines they have saved the MoD a fortune in fuel bills and so much kinder on the environment.

Thanks Gerold.

3 hours ago, Kasi31 said:

Fantastic shots Martyn!

Thanks Karsten

1 hour ago, Orbxtreme said:

Great idea and certainly a very interesting aircraft, even in fs9

Cheers Francois. It is very pleasing for me to get so many of these old planes to work in P3D.

Thank you for commenting Karsten and Francois.

Archived