German Commando

VH-KDK

Only a handful Curtis C-46 Commandos are flying today, this example was leased to Lufthansa from Capitol Airlines in the mid 60s.

1.bh1.jpg

Taking off from Tempelhof.

2.bh2.jpg

Over Uhlenhorst.

3.bh3.jpg

At Oberschoneweide.

4.bh4.jpg

Back over Templehof and heading west.

5.bh5.jpg

The Olympic Stadium and Tegel Airport.

6.bh6.jpg

The Havel River and Premnitz.

7.bh7.jpg

The Westhavelland Nature Park.

8.bh8.jpg

The Elbe at Tangermunde.

9.bh9.jpg

The German Army Combat Training Centre at Gardelegen.

10.bh10.jpg

The Mittelandkanal close to Breitenrode.

11.bh11.jpg

The Volkswagen factory at Wolfsberg.

12.bh12.jpg

Descending into Hannover at Isernhagen.

13.bh13.jpg

First landing in the C-46, did not break it though.

14.bh14.jpg

Getting ready to unload the cargo.

A very nice plane and a great companion to the C-47

An amazing looking aircraft!!!! I take it that this is FSX? I tried to make it work in P3Dv3, but no luck - it just crashes the sim.

Adam.

EDIT: I got it to work! It was the gaugesound.dll that needed to be disabled. Thanks for the heads-up - it's a beauty!

4 hours ago, paulb said:

Great journey Martyn! :). That plane is a classic.

Cheers Paul, it is a loverly plane.

4 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

An amazing looking aircraft!!!! I take it that this is FSX? I tried to make it work in P3Dv3, but no luck - it just crashes the sim.

Adam.

EDIT: I got it to work! It was the gaugesound.dll that needed to be disabled. Thanks for the heads-up - it's a beauty!

A great plane Adam, mine works in P2DV2.4 without any mods apart from a different sound set to make it better to my ears!

2 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Chocolate-box representation of the German aviation culture!

Cheers Erik, this one definitely has a hard centre.

2 hours ago, Sammy H said:

These are spot on again Martyn!

Thank you Sammy.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice plane Martyn, yet another I have never seen before but what's really striking is GEN!  Now I need to divert from the Bahamas and spend some quality time flying over GEN!  Beautiful screens mate!

I have never seen a C-46 in RL Jack, all C-47 when I was young. After spending time in Wales I have become hooked on GEN again!

Many thanks for your comments and interest, glad you enjoyed the flight and the Commando.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - beautiful set with a unique plane...

I never much noticed the aircraft before Buffalo Joe made it pretty famous on that TV show of his... That's one massive tail dragger... One interesting tidbit from the show - one reason there are so few left was their poor and precarious ground handling - claimed many a C46...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, adambar said:

Splendid shots of your Commando, the scenery ain't bad either, great job Martyn! :)

Cheers Adam.

17 hours ago, BradB said:

Stunning shots along with your classic bird Martyn . :):)

Cheers

John

Thank you John.

16 hours ago, jankees said:

nice shots!

Aeroplane Heaven are working on a Commando..

Thanks Jankees and that is great news about AH, they make some of the best planes out there.

Hope you have your magical paint brush ready:)

15 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Smashing set indeed.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

7 hours ago, Flying_Grandpa said:

Stunning set

Cheers FG.

6 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Yeah - beautiful set with a unique plane...

I never much noticed the aircraft before Buffalo Joe made it pretty famous on that TV show of his... That's one massive tail dragger... One interesting tidbit from the show - one reason there are so few left was their poor and precarious ground handling - claimed many a C46...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Scott.

Never seen one in RL but they are a huge plane, twice the payload of a C-47.

Another unfortunate trait was the fuel leaks from the tanks and fuel system causing many mid air explosions. At the time the wings were unvented and the accumulation of leaked fuel had catastrophic results.

I find all this history so interesting.

5 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great set of screenies, Martyn. If you allow me, there is one small thing I noticed; except for the tail, the textures look somewhat dark. 

Thanks Bernd. My favourite Lufthansa colour scheme and I was a bit disappointed to see the silver body and the white tail, like you I thought there was a problem. 

Googled LH Commando and there are many photos of N9891Z. The first few show the full LH colours but then there are some with just the white tail. It was leased for 5 years so I guess the full scheme was added later into it's ease. This plane also ended up with Buffalo Al.

1 hour ago, Kasi31 said:

Great shots from my hometown Martyn!

Cheers Karsten, you must be over the moon to have your hometown replicated in such great detail in GEN!

Thanks so much for your great comments and interest.

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, PDX Flyer said:

VH,  You are one really lucky guy.  Just to think that only a hand-full of this aircraft left flying today.  And you are fortunate enough to be one of the few pilots flying one of them.  Good Job.

Thanks PDX, the way I fly them I don't think they will be around for too long:o

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:59 AM, Stillwater said:

I see your local knowledge is not limited to english speaking coountries, @VH-KDK. I am at home, come over for a good single malt, Martyn!

Cheers gerold and thanks for the offer but best not to drink and fly, you spill too much.:blink:

Thank you for your comments PDX and Gerold.

Archived