Proposal for Orbx Management

Kim Sibbritt

Hi,

The greatest hurdel we have with FSX / STEAM performing at its full potential is the VAS OOM crash.

Most of us suffer it at one time or another,& it requires us to reduce settings within the sim so as to achieve a decent flight time.

The latest version of P3D has developed a fix for the VAS problem.

As P3D uses the same base code as FSX we now know a solution for our sim platform is possible.

So my proposal for Orbx Management is this,negotiate with Lockeed Martin to purchase the VAS fix they developed & adapt it for FSX / STEAM.

Then make it available through CENTRAL as a payware update.

There are still a great many FSX / STEAM uses worldwide so this would be a solid revenue source for Orbx.

I for one would be happy to $100 to be finally able to run the sim with all the settings maxed out.

What do you think guys ?

Is this achievable ?

Cheers...Kim.

I thought the LM "fix" was to correct whatever they broke on the initial release of v3.4. That aside, I don't think there is a "fix" for the 32-bit VAS problem. We'll only see it solved with the release of a 64-bit program. IMNSHO, if there were truly a "fix" for the VAS issue we would have seen it long ago..........Doug

Hi Kim, I don't think it works like this. It is not actually a bug that FSX is running out of memory, it is just that certain features simply need their certain amount of memory. And as a 32-bit application, the maximum amount of (virtual) memory is 4 GB. That's all by design, and not due to an error that can be fixed as such.

P3D did start with the same code as FSX, and P3D v1 had the same memory behaviour as FSX. During the course of development (we're now at version 3.4) LM has rewritten much of the code and especially optimized memory consumption with v3, so you can load more stuff into the sim now. But still, if you try to use more than 4 GB of (virtual) memory, you run out of memory also with P3D v3.

That means the "fix" Orbx would have to provide would be to remove the code for FSX/FSXSE more or less completely and replace it with P3D v3. If you are happy to pay for such a fix, why not simply buy a copy of P3D (or perhaps better: wait for the upcoming P3D v4)? That would be the most consequential "fix" available.

If you have too much thing to put in your car, you have 2 choices, put less in it or replace the car. FSX & P3D in 32 bits are the same.

I did explain with simple words how 32 bits application and VAS works here... take a look

Mike

Hi,

Yes I do know how the VAS works,but I did read on a forum some time ago that in the current edition of P3D they had found a way to get the VAS to replenish its self without having to shut the sim down.

This was the 'fix' I was referring to.

As to changing over to P3D, I personally find the colours too dark & unrealistic.I'l be staying with FSX.

Kim.

26 minutes ago, sibbritt said:

Hi,

Yes I do know how the VAS works,but I did read on a forum some time ago that in the current edition of P3D they had found a way to get the VAS to replenish its self without having to shut the sim down.

This was the 'fix' I was referring to.

As to changing over to P3D, I personally find the colours too dark & unrealistic.I'l be staying with FSX.

Kim.

Hi Kim,

I won't try and talk you in to P3D, but if the colours are holding you back there are a lot of adjustments to solve that within P3D and with 3rd party shader programs such as PTA.  Probably not worth even getting the current P3D, but if VAS is an issue for you  then the 64 bit version of P3D  seems to be just around the corner.  I have P3D V3, and it is very good on VAS, but I have had one or two OOMs.  P3D does really seem to perform, and IMHO, look better than FSX.

Cheers,

On 25.3.2017 at 5:04 PM, sibbritt said:

...I for one would be happy to $100 to be finally able to run the sim with all the settings maxed out...

If you are happy to spend $100, why not just buying P3d then? Much cheaper and even much better than FSX and FSX Steam!

Hi Kim,

This is impossible. Lockheed Martin and Dove Tail Games made separate licencing deals with Microsoft. A third party would not be allowed involved in this in any way. Also discussing licencing etc isn't really allowed in forums as well. 

Each company has its own role and ORBX makes great scenery as its role

21 hours ago, sibbritt said:

but I did read on a forum some time ago that in the current edition of P3D they had found a way to get the VAS to replenish its self without having to shut the sim down

This was part of the overall memory optimizations LM made with P3D v3, and more of a redesign than a fix. FSX was just not designed to free up memory as thoroughly as P3D does now.

Solving VAS problems in 32-bit sims is possible but not with the current sims. At least, LM and DTG will not invest in a module to prevent the sim from crashing due to a fully used VAS, I think. What needs to be done is simply load the immediate surrounding of the plane, say 40 miles, and leave the rest out of the precious memory. As said, that will be an investment of developing a memory management module with "garbage collection", a technique which throws away what is no longer needed. Besides that, the module can monitor the amount of VAS used and pauses the sim to get rid of unused bits instead of simply crashing. After the clean-up, the simmer can go on flying. It will be a matter of a few seconds pause or less.

So it wil require some additional programming of which I don't know if it's possible with the current 32-bit engines but then again, many add-on produces use separate DLL's to go around engine shortcomings, so why not a VAS management DLL? Yes, we have the external bells and whistles but if you ignore them the sim will crash. A dedicated DLL from the developer who have licensed the MS engine can make it possible. MS should have built that in the engine in the first place.

Archived