Across the Border

VH-KDK

Not as romantic as it sounds but a flight from Newcastle to Edinburgh in another beautiful old plane from the past, the ATL-98 Carvair.

1.NE1.jpg

Lifting off from Newcastle International. All these airports now have new fancy names, but I still know it as Woolsington!

2.NE2.jpg

Turning for Turnhouse over the A1 at Wideopen.

3.NE3.jpg

Bedlington (for those who like dogs) is on the left and Blythe (for those who like Blythe) is on the coast on the Blythe River estuary.

4..NE4.jpg

Not far away and flying over Morpeth.

5.NE5.jpg

Leaving Morpeth behind with the A1 Great North Road.

6.NE6.jpg

Close to Alnwick.  The weather was usually damp and dreary when I visited this part of the world but my first encounter was on a glorious day like this.

7.NE7.jpg

Into the strangely patterned Cheviot Hills.

8.NE8.jpg

On Guard! Flying over the River Tweed at Coldstream! Berwick can just be seen on the coast. Most importantly we are now into Scotland.

9.NE9.jpg

Well into our descent and Cockenzie Power Station stands out on the shores of the Firth of Forth.

10.NE10.jpg

Arthurs Seat, Meadowbank Stadium and Hibernian's Easter Road Stadium means we are over Edinburgh.

11.NE11.jpg

Over the A90 at The Brigg with the obligatory view of the Forth Bridges. Almost at Edinburgh Turnhouse.

12.NE12.jpg

All the doors open and waiting for the car unloading ramps to arrive.

Hope you enjoyed the flight as much as I did!

Martyn, you sure have a flair for collecting interesting and eclectic planes!  When I first saw these I thought, what happened to his screenshot?  His 747 is squished! :)

But since you posted the name of it I'm going to go to Wiki right now and have a look at a real one as I have never seen one ever.  It looks "cute."

Very beautiful shots by the way as well as your tour.

Lovely set of shots, Martyn. I have a thing about those car ferries, as I seem to remember various of the beasts at Sarf'end in my yoof. I got a couple of the Bristol Freighters onto my system ok, but my Carvair wasn't showing up after I put it on there and I haven't had time to sort it out as yet. Had a quick look but can't see anything obvious in the aircraft.cfg file so need to investigate more, But I will now I've seen these! Lovely jubbly!

23 hours ago, Sammy H said:

You are breaking them all out of jail aren't you, Lol......fantastic shots of another classic bird.

Thank you Sammy, plenty of interesting stuff out there.

19 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Martyn, you sure have a flair for collecting interesting and eclectic planes!  When I first saw these I thought, what happened to his screenshot?  His 747 is squished! :)

But since you posted the name of it I'm going to go to Wiki right now and have a look at a real one as I have never seen one ever.  It looks "cute."

Very beautiful shots by the way as well as your tour.

Cheers Jack, a common sight where I used to live in the early 70s.

18 hours ago, BradB said:

Interesting looking guppy , I mean bird Martyn . Fab shots as always my friend . :rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

Thanks John, a flying fish maybe!

17 hours ago, adambar said:

I think it's with child, is what I think. :D  Great series of shots Martyn! :)

Hell, I will have to call the midwife:ph34r:

15 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Goodness. I thought that has to be the mommy of the 747. Great shots interesting plane.

Thank you Leaf, the shape of things to come in the 60s.

12 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain.

12 hours ago, paulb said:

Nice set Martyn! :). Plus, I always enjoy seeing different aircraft.

Cheers Paul, same here. We see some great planes on the screenies forums.

12 hours ago, mikee said:

Very Nice shots Martyn ... I Like the Plane a Lot :rolleyes:

Cheers Mike, glad you like it.

11 hours ago, Flying_Grandpa said:

Stunning set

Thanks FG.

9 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Lovely set of shots, Martyn. I have a thing about those car ferries, as I seem to remember various of the beasts at Sarf'end in my yoof. I got a couple of the Bristol Freighters onto my system ok, but my Carvair wasn't showing up after I put it on there and I haven't had time to sort it out as yet. Had a quick look but can't see anything obvious in the aircraft.cfg file so need to investigate more, But I will now I've seen these! Lovely jubbly!

Thank you Andy. Mee too, just love these old planes that I can remember from so long ago. The Carvairs were a regular sight at Bournemouth in the early 70s along with the Bristols trundling overhead on their way to the Channel Islands.

I am using P3Dv2.4 and it was a straight installation with the EMT without any problems for me. I have tried the Bristol Freighters and cannot get them to work, strange innit!

I shall give it another go and see if I can discover what I have done wrong!

Many thanks to you all for your wonderful comments and interest.

Archived