Bealine to Cardiff

VH-KDK

No shots of cows today just a flight from Welshpool to Cardiff in the Fokker F-27

1.wc1.jpg

Painted in my favourite BEA colour scheme, though the Friendship never operated for BEA

2.wc2.jpg

This is a freight version which is well suited in BEA's colours.

3.wc3.jpg

Passing over Shobdon.

4.wc4.jpg

Over the Wye Valley and some deteriorating weather ahead.

5.wc5.jpg

The old RAF Madley with Hereford above the tail.

6.wc6.jpg

Starting to descend in the Llanvetherine area.

7.wc7.jpg

Over the A40 at Raglan.

8.wc8.jpg

The M4 at Magor close to Newport.

9.wc9.jpg

Safely down at Cardiff.

10.wc10.jpg

On the ground and preparing for it's next flight.

11.wc11.jpg

The F-27 in the Red Square livery from the 60s.

12.wc12.jpg

Finally painted in the 50s style colours.

Hope you enjoyed the flight.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

What beautiful country Martyn!  You posted some splendid shots, and of course anything with a hot air balloon strikes my fancy as I used to fly them.  

Cheers Jack. You used to fly hot air balloons? Tell me more, tell me more!

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:55 PM, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:05 AM, Flying_Grandpa said:

Stunning set

Cheers FG.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:47 AM, Sammy H said:

Some excellent caps here.

Thanks Sammy.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, adambar said:

Your like a machine Martyn, pumping out all these great shots one right after another. :D  Nicely done my friend! :)

Thanks for that Adam.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:29 PM, BradB said:

These shots are so very sharp Martyn and the colors are fabulous . :wub::D

Cheers

John

Thank you John.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, flyingleaf said:

Lovely Country. Beautiful shots.

Cheers Mr Leaf.

Many thanks are in order for your most welcome comments.

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Jack. You used to fly hot air balloons? Tell me more, tell me more!

Yup, back in the late 80's early 90's I flew them in Boise.  Boise is the best place to fly them as there's no trees unless you count the ones planted by humans along the Boise River. So it's all open desert scrub with tumbleweeds.  You can land anywhere.  Not so down here, it's ALL trees so I can't possibly do it.  Besides, I'm now medically grounded.

Went to Reno a lot to for the Great Reno Balloon races.  I have about 100 zillion photos.  It's fun.  When you're a mile up and you're not firing the burners it's so quiet you can hear people whispering directly below you.  And the car wrecks we caused, man oh man, people would be looking up and not straight ahead.

It was a fun part of my life.  But now it's sadness.

7 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Outstanding shots Martyn!

Thanks Dolf

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Yup, back in the late 80's early 90's I flew them in Boise.  Boise is the best place to fly them as there's no trees unless you count the ones planted by humans along the Boise River. So it's all open desert scrub with tumbleweeds.  You can land anywhere.  Not so down here, it's ALL trees so I can't possibly do it.  Besides, I'm now medically grounded.

Went to Reno a lot to for the Great Reno Balloon races.  I have about 100 zillion photos.  It's fun.  When you're a mile up and you're not firing the burners it's so quiet you can hear people whispering directly below you.  And the car wrecks we caused, man oh man, people would be looking up and not straight ahead.

It was a fun part of my life.  But now it's sadness.

That is interesting Jack, sounds like a wonderful way to view the scenery. I always wanted to do a trip when we lived in Mildura but never made it. When I first moved there in 1990 they started a small balloon competition with the aim of something bigger. In the late 90s there were 38 balloons one event from the UK,US, Japan and Korea as well as the local ones. Then finally in 2004 the town hosted the World Balloon Championships. What a fantastic sight on the Sunday morning to see dozens of balloons in the sky. Sadly the weather was unusually bad until the following Friday so we did not get to see much flying. On the Friday morning it was a great experience following all the 4wds with their balloons packed on the trailers out to the launch site and then seeing them take off. Great times and thanks for jogging my memory.

Thank you Dolf and Jack for commenting.

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

That is interesting Jack, sounds like a wonderful way to view the scenery. I always wanted to do a trip when we lived in Mildura but never made it. When I first moved there in 1990 they started a small balloon competition with the aim of something bigger. In the late 90s there were 38 balloons one event from the UK,US, Japan and Korea as well as the local ones. Then finally in 2004 the town hosted the World Balloon Championships. What a fantastic sight on the Sunday morning to see dozens of balloons in the sky. Sadly the weather was unusually bad until the following Friday so we did not get to see much flying. On the Friday morning it was a great experience following all the 4wds with their balloons packed on the trailers out to the launch site and then seeing them take off. Great times and thanks for jogging my memory.

Thank you Dolf and Jack for commenting.

You're welcome Martyn!  Yeah, I tell you, ballooning is just downright fun.  When you're flying there's absolutely no sensation of movement.  None.  You're floating a bubble of hot air, 80,000 cubic feet of it and just moving gently in the breeze.  There were so many times I wanted to parachute off of one but it would have hurt the balloon as 150 pounds (back then) would be suddenly lost and it would rise like a rocket.  Boise had so many it wasn't funny.  Every single day, unless the winds were too high you'd see them in the sky.  But down here, good grief, too many trees.  The have an event called the "race to the sea" located in Helen, Georgia.  They leave a field and fly to the sea and land on or near the beach.  Those were the days.  Sigh.....

Archived