Interested in clouds?

VH-KDK

10 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice Martyn!  What a great way to learn about clouds.  All those Latin names, sometimes it's hard to tell what is what.

Maecenas et ipsum verum, gavisus es interested

34 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Huh?

Now I'll have to translate that!

Just saying that you are right about the Latin Jack, and happy that you found the link interesting.

I enjoy looking at the clouds with Cirrus being my favourite.:)

Good link Martyn :).

I used to own a boat (a cruiser with two Volvo D4 Penta engines).

Took a lot of courses - offshore etc.

Had to learn about clouds.........................

Fascinating link! Sometimes we can forget the majesty and power of our planet.

Cheers

Paul

The origins of the term "cloud nine" is supposed to come from the International Cloud Atlas' official list of ten cloud types.

Most people (on the net) seem to think the cumulonimbus is the supposed cloud #9 but when you look at the list cumulonimbus is #10 and cumulus is #9. I don't know why but this bothers me! :huh:

56 minutes ago, Ben77 said:

Most people (on the net) seem to think the cumulonimbus is the supposed cloud #9 but when you look at the list cumulonimbus is #10 and cumulus is #9. I don't know why but this bothers me!

Who is "most people"?

CB clouds are storm clouds, how could they be what people think of when they are talking about cloud #9? 

In regards to how these are simulated I always miss a decent depiction of Altostratus and Nimbostratus in the sim.

1 minute ago, KVSandleben said:

Who is "most people"?

CB clouds are storm clouds, how could they be what people think of when they are talking about cloud #9? 

By most people I mean most comments or posts on the topic that I've read on the internet and the reason they give for CB being cloud #9 is that it is the tallest cloud ergo "being on top of the world".

Just now, Ben77 said:

By most people I mean most comments or posts on the topic that I've read on the internet and the reason they give for CB being cloud #9 is that it is the tallest cloud ergo "being on top of the world".

Interesting deviation of concept. I personally would say that Thor or Zeus live in CB's. ;) 

Were I'm from we say cloud #7. Which stems from the 7th heaven and not from the classification of clouds.

Archived