San Diego International Airport - FULL PROJECT

Hi All!

After the first Beta many things have changed, i have heard your suggestions and i did extra work to improve the scenery!
Now i can say the project is nearly done.

SCENERY FEATURES:

ORBX7.png

-Huge photoreal that covers entire San Diego Metropolitan area ( about 1800km^2).

-Improved airport textures and groundpoly.

-Hundreds of Poi (Hospitals, Dams, Bridges, Parks, famous buildings, Skyscrapers, Boats, ecc ).

-Many Helipads on Skyscrapers and Hospital.

-Very accurate reconstruction of the approach, to feel exactly in real life!

-Very accurate reconstruction of San Diego Airport, with animated Jetway.

-Optimized for good performance with large possibility to personalize the features in Control Panel.

-Compatible with ORBX FTX GLOBAL, OPEN LC NA and SCA.

2017-03-15_02-52-11-614.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-11-774.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-11-908.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-12-40.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-12-173.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-12-310.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-12-449.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-12-588.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-12-728.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-12-863.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-12-983.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-13-120.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-13-258.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-13-394.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-13-538.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-13-675.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-13-813.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-13-946.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-14-68.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-14-193.jpg

2017-03-15_02-52-14-329.jpg

2017-03-18_02-51-31-468.jpg

2017-03-18_02-51-31-653.jpg

2017-03-18_02-51-31-791.jpg

2017-03-18_02-51-31-927.jpg

2017-03-18_02-51-32-65.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dom Mason said:

That's a very ambitious project.

Eager to see how friendly it is for my old quadcore computer.

Incredible scenery coverage !

Dom

Well, I suspect that actually a big reason why they chose to do this -- because the performance in that area is already known to be 'challenging' and this is a way to optimize and improve it.  Some effort now could potentially save a lot of support effort later.

Matteo, as a native San Diegan, I think you've done an amazing job of capturing the metro and urban areas, as well as San Diego International.
Are any of the airports in the coverage area "enhanced" to a great detail than with the free airport scenery already offered by ORBX?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Very nice Matteo, I have lived here for sometime and currently use San Diego as my home port, so this will really be one I'm looking forward too. You've done a great job capturing this great and challenging airport. It is the busiest single runway airport in the US, with a steep approach at Rwy27. Named after Lindbergh and the Ryan aircraft factory who built the Sprit of  Saint Louis here, it has an interesting aviation history.

Hi Matteo

What a nice San Diego scenery, first day purchase from me! Just one question. Not beeing a big fan of landclass type scenery myself I would like to know if you have tried your photoscenery together with a photoscenery like Megascenery Socal or UltimateVFR Socal. I know your San Diego scenery is made with FTX Global or SCA in mind. Jarrad got the same question regarding the upcoming Innsbruck and from what I understand his Innsbruck will blend quite well with Austria Photo HD with some minor tweaks. Hopefully yours too will blend with a 3d party photoscenery with some tweaks :) 

Mike

Remarkable work here. Just fantastic. I've been rolling with the LatinVFR version (with some freeware enhancements) for awhile now, but this looks set to blow that setup out of the water and then some. Seems like I'm always flying into or out of KSAN in the sim, so this is definitely going to the top of my purchase list.

Hi Folks,

Looking at that coverage map once again - that's a massive area that encompasses a bunch of SOCAL airports... I haven't purchased the ORBX Region for that area due to the reports of being very performance intensive on hardware - probably more than my old 2700K can handle... I did pretty well with FTX Global, UTX, LatinVFR KSAN, and the Freeware Airports before they were all removed when the regional pack was released... If you can get the performance numbers reasonable for this area I'd be very interested in purchasing it...

Question: Would it be possible to INCLUDE the "ORBX Freeware Airports" in your coverage area - as that would be a big selling point for me as well ?

Side Note: Is there an area really called "Bostonia" ? I lived in Point Loma, off of Mission Bay, and Santee for years back in the 80's/90's and that's one I've never heard before...

Keep up the good work - it's looking fantastic...

Regards,

Scott

6 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Looking at that coverage map once again - that's a massive area that encompasses a bunch of SOCAL airports... I haven't purchased the ORBX Region for that area due to the reports of being very performance intensive on hardware - probably more than my old 2700K can handle... I did pretty well with FTX Global, UTX, LatinVFR KSAN, and the Freeware Airports before they were all removed when the regional pack was released... If you can get the performance numbers reasonable for this area I'd be very interested in purchasing it...

Question: Would it be possible to INCLUDE the "ORBX Freeware Airports" in your coverage area - as that would be a big selling point for me as well ?

Side Note: Is there an area really called "Bostonia" ? I lived in Point Loma, off of Mission Bay, and Santee for years back in the 80's/90's and that's one I've never heard before...

Keep up the good work - it's looking fantastic...

Regards,

Scott

There is Scott.  It's in between El Cajon and Lakeside.  Really small area that is considered unincorporated El Cajon.

Looks beautiful. Its hard to tell on that northern border of coverage, did Miramar get included, or is it just off the coverage map? Its in line with La Jolla almost, so its hard to tell.

Either way it will fill out the scenery nicely for anyone departing Miramar!

Good work!

Looks fantastic; glad to see Orbx pushing the envelope again. With addons of this scale and fidelity coming out we need to get our hands on P3D 64-bit. I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but 32-bit just doesn't cut it anymore with the myriad of complex addons we all push into our sims.

Good times ahead, hopefully!

I am also looking forward for this project,but what I see at the screenshots leaves me with doubts.

-looking at the dusk/dawn images : no night textures for the ground imagery?

-even worse : no night textures for the buildings and skyscrapers at Downtown?

That would take a lot of the attraction of an evening/night approach!

-What I also miss at the coastline are WAVES!

Point Loma and Mission Beach look somehow dead without waves!

Look at Google Earth,to see the impressve swell there.

Orbx Murray Field and Monterey are good examples,

how impressive and beautyful a smooth transition between land and sea can be.

If I look at the screenshot of Mission Beach,where the areal image is simply

cut off at the beach through the breakers,it hurts my eye.

Mission Beach is a famous spot for surfers!

-Generally the scenery suffers from its pale low-resolution aerial imagery.

Compare the Point Loma screenshots with Orbx Agua Dulce Airport

or Palm Springs to see the difference.

Regarding the airport itself:

Static aircraft are a nice extra but they have to be in a relation to their

surroundings.

The static aircraft here look like an uninspired choice from the Orbx library.

Time to create one or two Southwest liveries for the Orbx B737-800

and an American livery too!!!

And of course it needs typical San Diego/Southwest service-vehicles

and clutter.

Not again the red luggage-loader from the australian/Qantas library!

Of course static aircraft should be connected to the jetways,

yes it is extra-work to create appropriate jetways, I know.

And the question,moving jetways for the user-aircraft and AI-Planes?

Please not another Stockholm with just static ones!

All in all it looks like there is still a lot of work to be done

to reach what I consider the ORBX-trademark :

-Love for the detail,excellent textures and a certain perfectionism.

Regards,Jens P.

This looks terrific! On my "to buy" list for sure.

One note - flying into KSAN at night is quite an experience, with the way the city buildings and USB Midway are lighted. It'seems really very beautiful. It would be great if that was recreated with this. May be challenging though...

But excellent work none the less!

Would love to see some more detail to the Naval Air Station North Island facilities and Coronado base.  But then again with my old machine and most likely even some of the newer ones probably won't be able to fly more than a kite out of there without getting an OOM.  Lovely scenery and really hope that I am wrong.  I will wait to see the post from all the first day buyers to make my decision.

11 hours ago, Sammy H said:

Would love to see some more detail to the Naval Air Station North Island facilities and Coronado base.  But then again with my old machine and most likely even some of the newer ones probably won't be able to fly more than a kite out of there without getting an OOM.  Lovely scenery and really hope that I am wrong.  I will wait to see the post from all the first day buyers to make my decision.

Perhaps true about the performance hit, but I'd love to see a couple high quality military add-on scenaries.  Nothing extensive, but give me one or two good USAF/USN US bases, an RAF, and and old WWII southern England base and I'd be beyond set. 

Yeah, it's truly unfortunate that big developers don't help those of us military flyers out with a couple bases.  Probably the main reason military flyers are more interested in other platforms.  Just sucks, would love to see a ORBX Nellis in Vegas to go with the SoCal and FSDT Vegas, maybe a Lemoore, Mountain Home to go with Northern Rockies etc.  But guess I just need to figure out how to do scenery design and then I will make some money :)

2 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

Perhaps true about the performance hit, but I'd love to see a couple high quality military add-on scenaries.  Nothing extensive, but give me one or two good USAF/USN US bases, an RAF, and and old WWII southern England base and I'd be beyond set. 

2 hours ago, Sammy H said:

Yeah, it's truly unfortunate that big developers don't help those of us military flyers out with a couple bases.  Probably the main reason military flyers are more interested in other platforms.  Just sucks, would love to see a ORBX Nellis in Vegas to go with the SoCal and FSDT Vegas, maybe a Lemoore, Mountain Home to go with Northern Rockies etc.  But guess I just need to figure out how to do scenery design and then I will make some money :)

The main (or only) reason why there have no military bases been developed so far is, that the military forces won't give permission to access the bases for making the required photos. Also high res areal images of air bases are also not available for the public. This has been explained by Orbx developers here in the forums before.

28 minutes ago, wolfko said:

The main (or only) reason why there have no military bases been developed so far is, that the military forces won't give permission to access the bases for making the required photos. Also high res areal images of air bases are also not available for the public. This has been explained by Orbx developers here in the forums before.

Well thanks for your explanation and wherever it was written in the forums.  Coming from someone in the military I find it hard to believe that ALL military bases are off limits.  For instance the base I just transferred from is open to the public. Majority of U.S. Air Bases have an Air Show every year or every other year in which almost 90-95% of the base is open to the public and any photos can be taken.  That is the point of calling the Air Shows "Open House". There have been many instances of freeware scenery built and most of them are fairly accurate.  I think if there was a payware project that remotely resembled any of the modern day military bases there would not be ANY complaints from us military flyers considering what we have now.  ANYTHING is better than nothing which is basically what we are working with.  I understand ORBX desire for perfection in all there projects but for us military lovers it would be a delight to see.  And our comment was for ORBX because we are in there forum, however, I was really wanting to say I wish ANY developer would come up with military scenery for P3D.  Military AI works has been doing them for years for FS9 and there are some limited resources to convert there files to FSX but not much and to get it in P3D would be even harder.

In the end there is plenty of imagery out there in google searches to find whatever designers want.  I truly just believe that they think military flying is such a small market there is no profit for any of them.  Which again explains why most of us fly DCS and platforms like that and they are extremely successful and they only have 2 regions right now and working on a 3 not even an entire world to work with.  I think the military community is very strong especially with addons from Dino and VRS but the lack of bases to fly into that look even remotely normal is the part that sucks bar none.

In the end it's whatever.  All the developers have the right to develop what they want, I just wish I even remotely had the skill set, tools, or knowledge to do it cause I would do it for ORBX.  I would be there military scenery guy, Lol especially since I am in the military and have been to quite a few bases in my time especially when on the Blue Angels.

One of these days I will be smart enough to do the development of bases.  I have the time, just not the important stuff like design tools or knowledge :)

17 hours ago, wolfko said:

Well, I understand that this may be the reason Orbx won't do military bases, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.  Just look at DCS that has several very nice bases in the NTTR map and upcoming Normandy maps. 

Archived