Going Strait for PaulB

VH-KDK

I have never been to this part of Wales and as PaulB had asked about ORBX Wales I thought I would kill 2 stones with one bird and do a sales flight along the Menai Strait and beyond.

1.mj1.jpg

So we start our trip at EGCK Caernarfon.

2.mj2.jpg

King Edward I of England started construction of the stone castle at Caernarfon in 1283. It took over 50 years to build and cost appx GBP25,000 to build.

3.mj3.jpg

Flying over the town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll whose railway station has the name of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Not many people go there as they cannot pronounce the name of the station to buy the ticket!

4.mj4.jpg

The name was made up as a stunt to attract tourists in the Victorian times. Here is the Britannia Bridge, built by Stephenson in the 1840s. The original wooden covered structure was destroyed in the 1970 and the bridge was rebuilt in it's current form with an added road deck.

5.mj5.jpg

Angelsey's first connection to the mainland was the 1826 Menai Suspension Bridge, built by Thomas Telford.

6.mj6.jpg

Close by is Bangor and it's pier.

7.mj7.jpg

Penrhyn Slate Quarry can be seen in the Snowdonia Ranges.

8.mj8.jpg

Looking back down the Menai Strait.

9.mj9.jpg

The A55 and North Coast Railway pass through Conwy Mountain.

10.mj10.jpg

Another of Edward 1st's castles is here at Conwy. The railway and road bridges can also be seen here.

11.mj11.jpg

Conwy Harbour and Snowdonia.

12.mj12.jpg

Colwyn Bay with Great Orme on the right horizon

13.mj13.jpg

Catering for the tourist season is evident by the huge caravan parks here at Towyn.

14.mj14.jpg

Tir Prince Amusement Park and Raceway at Towyn.

15.mj15.jpg

Just down the River Clwyd is Rhuddlan Castle.

16.mj16.jpg

Landing in a field at Lon-Y-Pentref(road), Rhuddlan.

17.mj17.jpg

No proper airfield here but the natives are friendly and inviting.

Hope you enjoyed your tour of the North Welsh Coast.

What do you reckon Paul, get your cc out.

That is really brilliant Martyn!  :)     Thank you very much!

It does encourage me to purchase Wales and see if I can somehow get it to fit with my other scenery without conflicts. I expect that it will take a bit of tinkering, but I will probably have a go.

Cheers

Paul

18 minutes ago, adambar said:

Stunning shots of the Welsh countryside martyn, great job! :)

Cheers Adam, glad you enjoyed them.

12 minutes ago, paulb said:

That is really brilliant Martyn!  :)     Thank you very much!

It does encourage me to purchase Wales and see if I can somehow get it to fit with my other scenery without conflicts. I expect that it will take a bit of tinkering, but I will probably have a go.

Cheers

Paul

Happy to have helped Paul, good luck with your tinkering and I hope you get it yup and running soon.

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Flying over the town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll whose railway station has the name of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Not many people go there as they cannot pronounce the name of the station to buy the ticket!

Nice set of pix, Martyn. Another one of those regions I have but don't often use - I must visit soon. Re the unpronouncable station, I had a platform ticket from there when I was a kid - I seem to remember it was about six inches long. Probably bigger then the actual platform.

A great tour and naration again, Martyn. Good to learn that not only todays politicians are wasting lots of money taken from tax payers, they are in good tradition of King Edward in 1283. At least we Europeans did not have to pay for that infrastructure in those years!

PS: PLease get your keyboard repaired. Or I send you some a, e, i, o, u...

11 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Penrhyn Slate Quarry, River Clwyd, Lon-Y-Pentref(road), Rhuddlan.

3 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Nice set of pix, Martyn. Another one of those regions I have but don't often use - I must visit soon. Re the unpronouncable station, I had a platform ticket from there when I was a kid - I seem to remember it was about six inches long. Probably bigger then the actual platform.

Great memories, hope you kept the ticket, Andy?

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 2:51 PM, Iain Emms said:

Great se of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 3:09 PM, tom2rific said:

wonderful journey .. enjoyed every minute ! your commentary brilliant and informative thanks for sharing..  

tom

Cheers Tom

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 3:49 PM, bvdboomen said:

I'm sold... Oh wait I already have Wales! :)

Great set! 

Thanks BVD, hope you are enjoying Wales as much as I am.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 6:19 PM, dolf8857 said:

Nice trip there Martyn, all great scenic shots !

Thanks Dolf.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 7:22 PM, jury42 said:

Nice real flight!

Cheers Jury.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 8:46 PM, andy1252 said:

Thanks Andy, I have put Welshpool as my default location so it has encouraged me to do some flights away from the south of Wales. A great place for low and slow.

Maybe your ticket was the platform! I am a saver of things like this and have tickets, boarding passes and the like from my travels from over the years.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 10:56 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Very excellent tour Martyn, I guess I know where I'm flying next!

Thanks Jack, hope you enjoy Wales.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 10:58 PM, Doc Scott said:

That reminds me to my trip to North Wales a few weeks ago!

I saw a lot of these places during my stay. Top shots!!!

Scott 

Thanks Scott. I hope you took your camera, you can do a Gerold type post.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 0:35 AM, Kasi31 said:

Great trip and shots Martyn!

Cheers Karsten.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 0:47 AM, Stillwater said:

A great tour and naration again, Martyn. Good to learn that not only todays politicians are wasting lots of money taken from tax payers, they are in good tradition of King Edward in 1283. At least we Europeans did not have to pay for that infrastructure in those years!

PS: PLease get your keyboard repaired. Or I send you some a, e, i, o, u...

Great memories, hope you kept the ticket, Andy?

Thnks Grld fr yr cmmnt. Gld y njyd th pst. Hstry s vry ntrstng, nthng hs chngd mch vr th yrs hs t.

Hrry p nd snd m th vwls, pls.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 5:14 AM, Wakashi said:

If having to pronounce the names is a prerequisite to flying there I think I may have to pass this time! :huh:  You did a wonderful job at it all though.

Thanks Wakash, maybe a flight in Poland would be better:o

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 11:27 AM, BradB said:

Excellent shots from Wales Martyn . :):)

Cheers

John

Thank you John.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 4:29 PM, jankees said:

Haven't seen an Auster in a long time, nice shots!

It is a great freeware plane and I have been using it in Australia along with some of your wonderful VH repaints, thanks very much.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 5:44 PM, Squibs44 said:

Thanks Martin - great tour. 

Cheers Squibbs.

Thanks for your wonderful comments. I am happy you enjoyed the flight.

Archived