A good Glass of Wine

Stillwater

We hired a little Cessna for an early morning flight out of Hobart...

2017-2-25_19-9Hobart.jpg

... passing the touristic advertisements on the airport wall (in fact I do have that leaflet somewhere here at home), ...

2017-2-25_19-10YMHB.jpg

... and taking off southwards over Frederick Henry Bay.

2017-2-25_19-18FrederickHenryBay.jpg
2017-2-25_19-19-10-411.jpg

A beautiful morning view of Norfolk Bay, ...

2017-2-25_19-23NorfolkBay.jpg

... and a quick turn around Port Arthurs ruins. Everybody know this place, don´t you ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur,_Tasmania 

2017-2-25_19-28PortArthur.jpg

Now up the coast to Eaglehawk Neck (read the wiki link above for this place, too), ...

2017-2-25_19-31EaglehawkNeck.jpg

... Marion Bay, ...

2017-2-25_19-34LagoonBay.jpg
2017-2-25_19-37-38-820.jpg

... and - a bit later - towards Schouten Island.

2017-2-25_19-40SchoutenIsland.jpg
2017-2-25_19-41RL.jpg

After crossing the Freycinet Peninsula we pass Wineglass Bay, with the Hazards to the North.

2017-2-25_19-58WineglassBay.jpg
2017-2-25_19-58-50RL.jpg
2017-2-25_19-58-53-526.jpg
2017-2-25_19-59MtAmos.jpg
2017-2-25_19-59RL.jpg
2017-2-25_20-1-11-74.jpg

A quick turn around the village of Coles Bay, ...

2017-2-25_20-2ColesBay.jpg
2017-2-25_20-2RL.jpg

I always missed a replication of Freycinet Lodge here - I would be among the first to come over with a chopper to such scenery...
2017-2-25_20-2TheHazards.jpg

... and up to Great Swanport at Nine Mile Beach. There is a farm on these peninsulas being part of the "Save the Tasmanian Devil" program, well worth supporting. http://www.tassiedevil.com.au/tasdevil.nsf 

2017-2-25_20-5NineMileBeach.jpg
2017-2-25_20-6GreatSwanport.jpg
2017-2-25_20-6RL.jpg

But first we have to go on to Friendly Beaches International Airport.

2017-2-25_20-9FriendlyBeaches.jpg
2017-2-25_20-9RL.jpg

Well, the terminal building looks much bigger in RL than the OZx version. Could be an update is needed :D?

2017-2-25_20-14YFRI.jpg
2017-2-25_20-15RL.jpg

Unbelievable Gerold!  You really know how to post shots and when you combine real with Orbx it makes it all the more interesting because Orbx has nailed it.

In that one real photo, what are those lines extending from the runway?  A boat wake or was it a plane that just took off, vapor trials?

Thanks for commenting, @Republic DC-9, @Iain Emms, @Bermuda425, @Mark Abdey, @jury42, @dolf8857 and @mp1852!

4 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Nice trip. A good mix of 32- and 64-bit images. :D

... now just imagine it would be easier for us to capture these 64-bit images!

4 hours ago, Doc Scott said:

Ohhh,I love this kind of comparisons!!!!

Nice shots!

Scott

Thanks, Scott and ...

4 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great screenies. I also love your comparison shots, Gerold

... also thanks to you, Bernd. I am always surprised how good these comparisons look with the sceneries we have received meanwhile.

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Unbelievable Gerold!  You really know how to post shots and when you combine real with Orbx it makes it all the more interesting because Orbx has nailed it.

In that one real photo, what are those lines extending from the runway?  A boat wake or was it a plane that just took off, vapor trials?

Thanks Jack. I believe these lines are just artefacts created by the cheap camera I had with me on that occasion. Had to limit myself, as I was travelling with hand luggage only.

2 hours ago, PDX Flyer said:

Wonderful shots.  Is that the Carenado 185 and are you running it in P3D?  I had an old 185, but couldn't get it to install into P3D.

Yes it is the Carenado 185, and: No, I am running in FSX.

Sad to see that still not everything works in P3D - how long might it take to have a 64-bit sim running satisfactorily?

58 minutes ago, teecee said:

As always Gerold, you are making me homesick. Love the way you showed the RL pix for comparison..Teecee.

Sorry for the sickness, Terry. Even more to come, I can tell you. As you see I am doing your tour "the other way round" this year (but I will skip the Furneaux).

I would like to ask you a question: Would you still be in a position to add some huts to the southern end of Richardsons Beach, in order to replicate the http://www.freycinetlodge.com.au/ ?

Superb set once again, where did you get those superb real life shots, just awesome, that leaning shack is actually a copy of one that was close to Latrobe, where I lived( not in the shack), I was making an OZx lib of old shacks and this one I placed at Friendly beaches, didn't have gmax or 3dsMax at the time, used some instant scenery maker tool which basically stitched photos together to make a 3D model, such a long time ago. 

I think I would like to take the drone down there and redo this spot.

thanks for the memories Gerold

cheers

Ken

On 26.2.2017 at 8:13 PM, BradB said:

Your like a bottle of fine wine Gerold , you just get better with time . :D:)

Cheers

John

Thank you John. Th handicap of the bottles is that they end at a certain point.

On 26.2.2017 at 8:23 PM, VH-KDK said:

Top class set of images both RL and FS.

Just goes to show how good FTX AU is.

It looks like that building is either about to fall down or blow away!

Enjoyed the flight, keep them coming.

As you know I always like to make these comparisons and check how good FTX is in rebuilding reality - and where we see the limits (for future improvement, of course). And the newer sceneries constantly push these limits...

On 26.2.2017 at 10:19 PM, MZee1960 said:

Great shots and colors, Gerold !   i love those  'ads'  in the second shot - very unique feature !

Well MZee, these pictures come with the OZx version of Hobart airport.

On 26.2.2017 at 9:03 PM, Ken Hall said:

Superb set once again, where did you get those superb real life shots, just awesome, that leaning shack is actually a copy of one that was close to Latrobe, where I lived( not in the shack), I was making an OZx lib of old shacks and this one I placed at Friendly beaches, didn't have gmax or 3dsMax at the time, used some instant scenery maker tool which basically stitched photos together to make a 3D model, such a long time ago. 

I think I would like to take the drone down there and redo this spot.

thanks for the memories Gerold

cheers

Ken

Ken, the bitter truth is I had to take these RL shots by myself. Unfortunately with no much time to wait for better weather (take care with the wind if you use a drone)...

Good to read you did not need to live in that shack, even before you went on the orbx payroll.

And also nice to read of the historic procedures when the OZx community was founded. It was (is?) a fantastic project of enthusiasm!

Archived