Are we sitting comfortably? Then I will begin.

VH-KDK

Once upon a time the British decided they needed a more modern heavy bomber.

So to meet Air Ministry Spec B.12/36........

1.ls1.jpg

The Short Stirling was designed and first flew in May 1939.

2.ls2.jpg

With a wingspan of 99ft the Stirling was limited to just 16000ft ceiling. This was infact a Ministry requirement to keep the designs weight down and not as commonly thought so the would be able to fit into the standard RAF Hangars!

3.ls3.jpg

The Stirling had a tendency to fly nose down and the huge undercarriage was fitted to keep the nose up on take off.

4.ls4.jpg

It could carry a 14,000 bomb load over 590 miles and was the only British bomber designed from the outset with 4 engines.

5.ls5.jpg

It was powered by Bristol Hercules radial engines giving it a range of 2330 miles.

6.ls6.jpg

There were many take off accidents due to the aircraft swinging violently when power was applied to all 4 engines at once. A better technique was soon implemented.

7.ls7.jpg

A very popular plane with it's pilots, it was easy to fly once in the air and was able to outmanoeuvre both Me110 and Ju88 night fighters which was quite an achievement for such a big plane.

8.ls8.jpg

On long trips to Germany the Stirling could only carry 3500lbs of bombs and the design of the bomb bay restricted it to 2000 lb bombs.

9.ls9.jpg

It was eventually replaced by the Halifax and Lancaster but was still a very useful transport plane and came into its own as a glider tug.

Out of the 2371 built none remain today.

And they all lived happily ever after flying in ORBX world

Wow! Great story and great pics!!! I remember trying out an old FS9 version years ago, but this one looks way better. Whose is it? I'd love to see if I can pesruade it to work in P3D - such a classic aircraft. A friend of mine's father here in NZ flew them in WWII (and survived!). The impression I got from him was that their role was really quite significant - but always eclipsed by the Lancaster or Wellington in post-war accounts.

Adam.

15 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Wow! Great story and great pics!!! I remember trying out an old FS9 version years ago, but this one looks way better. Whose is it? I'd love to see if I can pesruade it to work in P3D - such a classic aircraft. A friend of mine's father here in NZ flew them in WWII (and survived!). The impression I got from him was that their role was really quite significant - but always eclipsed by the Lancaster or Wellington in post-war accounts.

Adam.

I had the feeling that this would interest you Adam. It works a treat in FSX. I have read  they flew nose down like the Whitley but I don't know how accurate the angle is in FSX. I was wondering if it would land but as soon as I dropped the wheels and flaps it flew level and I was able to land really well. I have just got it going in P3Dv2.4 but the glass is not clear. Maybe you can try P3Dv3 and see how you go.

In the past I have spoken to people who flew the Lancaster and Halifax but never any one who was in a Stirling. They were a very useful plane especially for glider towing. Ironic that that the designers never allowed for larger bombs like The Cookie but it was useful in towing, something else they would never have thought of in the 1930s.

I think this is where I got it from, it was only yesterday but I have forgotten already. The file name should read s29_v5

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=STIRLING&x=0&y=0

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I have just got it going in P3Dv2.4 but the glass is not clear. Maybe you can try P3Dv3 and see how you go.

The file name should read s29_v5

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=STIRLING&x=0&y=0

Duly grabbed, thanks Martyn - along with the lovely old Halifax!

I have a reasonably high success rate in "plexiglass conversion", so will let you know if I can improve the glass.

Adam.

Did it .. phew!!

stirling_p3d_01.jpg

stirling_p3d_02.jpg

It's actually a *very* crude (old!) model. I tidied up the roundels a bit as they looked very pixellated. I also changed the exhaust cowls and seat colours. The rear turret was a devil of a job to sort out. Once I found it, a plexiglass star dome also appeared (yay!).

I haven't asked permission from the original author (yet), so I can't distribute the revised textures publicly.

Adam.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, adambar said:

Very interesting facts about the Stirling and you did a splendid job showing her Martyn! :)

Cheers Adam.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, jury42 said:

Nice old bird!

Thank you Jury.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, bvdboomen said:

Very interesting story! I actually didn't know the plane.

Cheers, one of those lesser known but very important planes of the conflict.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, Mark Abdey said:

Indeed... great set.

Cheers Mark.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, gumbypickett said:

That's very well put together KDK, nice shots.

cheers

Gumby

Thanks Gumby, I enjoyed doing it too.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:30 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Martyn!  That was great!  History has always been my favorite subject and aviation history is even more interesting.  Your narrative coupled with the scenic flight made it one the more interesting posts in a while.  Thanks for the history lesson!

Thank you Jack, I like History too but I don't get too much time to watch the History Chanel on TV as I am always using the FS!

20 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Nice history & tech lesson, Martyn. But even more I like the scenery you are crossing, seems a bit familiar...

Did you see @Ken Hall waving in #4?

And... whereever you landed, the runway looks ok to me?!

Cheers Gerold. I like tis part of the world so much and also wanted to test out YMLT as I had only just installed it.

I did see someone shaking their fist when flying over Shearwater, I think the noisy old plane disturbed his afternoon siesta.

The runway is even big enough for me to do a reasonable landing.

19 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

He never waved back lol

I will look out for you next time Ken, I might bring a few mates with me!

17 hours ago, BradB said:

If I was underneath your payload when you dropped it Martyn , I might be sitting comfortable as I met my maker . :o:rolleyes::D As always another A+ post my friend .

Cheers

John

There are only a couple of people on the forums I would drop bombs on John, but obviously you are not one of them.

16 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Coming up with the ideal bomber was a real learning curve for all the war participants - you're exceeding requirements again, take your meds :).

The ideal way to kill people, we will never learn.:mellow:

15 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Awesome shots and story, great job Martyn!

Steve

Cheers Steve.

10 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Duly grabbed, thanks Martyn - along with the lovely old Halifax!

I have a reasonably high success rate in "plexiglass conversion", so will let you know if I can improve the glass.

Adam.

5 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Did it .. phew!!

stirling_p3d_01.jpg

stirling_p3d_02.jpg

It's actually a *very* crude (old!) model. I tidied up the roundels a bit as they looked very pixellated. I also changed the exhaust cowls and seat colours. The rear turret was a devil of a job to sort out. Once I found it, a plexiglass star dome also appeared (yay!).

I haven't asked permission from the original author (yet), so I can't distribute the revised textures publicly.

Adam.

Great news Adam and well done, I shall look forwards to flying the Stirling and some of the other old planes again today.

I knew a very crude(old) model once too, Lucky the missus never found out.:wub::o:lol:.

4 hours ago, paulb said:

Nice work Martyn.

I think that particular one flew with 7 Squadron at Oakington in 1941 (and in 2017 in FSX :)).

Cheers Paul, interesting to find out the histories of the individual planes too.

Many thanks for your response and interest. I am very happy you enjoyed it. Makes it all worth while.

Archived