FTX Innsbruck Full Preview #2: A few of my favourite things

Hi Jarrad,

I will not belabor the obvious by repeating that these screenshots are amazing (ok, I did it...).
I have one question: is your scenery compatible with Flugwerk Austria Professional HD – West? I bought this product a couple of months ago and I really like it. It would be really great if your LOWI would fit nicely within it.

Thanks a lot

Filippo Nesi

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jordan King said:

Thats interesting. Would be amazing if we could get to the point (maybe with one of these new sims on the horizon) that we could see that license realized. They make beautiful models at TurboSquid

The trick is picking out the ones that will perform in FSX/P3D.

2 hours ago, Larry Hickerson said:

Wow!  Sold before it hits the streets.  Simply beautiful.

My thoughts exactly.

How can you be classed as a competent designer Jarrad, when you get your RL  photos mixed up with the preview screenies in this post:o:lol::lol:.

Will some arty type please make a sign to hang on Jarrad's door which reads "Genius at Work."

One thing that I've grown to admire about your airport picks is that you tend to offer a little something for the 3 main kind of pilots (GA, Helo and Big Tin). Then you go and create a mini region around it and load it up with all kinds of goodies! That's so Jarrad Marshall!

Thanks guys, really appreciate the nice comments :)

Regarding the couple of comments on the low-poly cars:

11 hours ago, Berni said:

Just the parked cars.. any chance to get modern european cars?

11 hours ago, EnQ said:

I guess "modern cars" (rounded?) would eat up polygons real fast; aside from that I think I remember having seen quite a lot of trucks/jeeps in the Alps, so it's actually quite a good fit unless you take a really close look at the parking lots. :)

10 hours ago, Jordan King said:

Thats interesting. Would be amazing if we could get to the point (maybe with one of these new sims on the horizon) that we could see that license realized. They make beautiful models at TurboSquid

8 hours ago, Ripcord said:

The trick is picking out the ones that will perform in FSX/P3D.

Using the "concentric models" theory on airport design (ie, modelling the most detail airside at the airport, then gradually reducing definition/resolution the further from this centrepoint you get), I have three levels of vehicle quality at LOWI:

1. Super HD GSE and airside vehicles: I created most of the airside GSE from scratch exclusively for LOWI, this is of a higher detail than my previous GSE at US/AU airports. European types such as the pushback tugs, fire appliances, buses, fuel trucks, de-icers, VIP/Follow-me cars, cone/chock/rope trolleys, baggage trucks etc are representative of these new vehicles I modeled. 

2. Priority non-airside vehicles: For high-visibility areas such as the front of terminals and tower, parking spots highly visible from airside parking etc, I have included a light smattering of regular quality cars, buses, vans, motorbikes etc. These are all representative of types likely to be seen in Austria, and include a mixture of my own models and some of the newly-licensed types from Turbosquid that John was mentioning. The only example of the Turbosquid models included in my above screenshots would be the Mercedes G63 at the Rescue Heliport. 

3. Low-poly vehicles: These are the "filler" types used to mass-populate non-priority carparks, and are a modified version of a library I use in many of my projects. They are intentionally modeled in very low definition in order to be FPS- and VAS-irrelevant; for example, all low-poly vehicles combined at Innsbruck have approximately the same performance impact as 2x animated people models.

This type of design methodology is implemented across the board at Innsbruck; this is done solely to ensure the maximum possible VAS and FPS performance without compromising too much on detail. It's the same reason you will see more people airside than non-airside, why buildings have higher resolutions for walls facing airside, why grass is clustered only in higher-priority taxiway/runway/apron areas, etc. 

9 hours ago, barrel_owl said:

I have one question: is your scenery compatible with Flugwerk Austria Professional HD – West? I bought this product a couple of months ago and I really like it. It would be really great if your LOWI would fit nicely within it.

Hi Filippo, I too purchased my copy of Austria Professional HD West a couple of months ago, and can confirm that out-of-the-box, there will be some minor compatibility issues based around vector/APX clashes. It is my intention to write up compatibility instructions for those wanting to use both together, however this will be done after LOWI is released. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Jarrad, I had an idea this was going to be your finest work. But you have gone past any expectations, The detail, seasons, Heli, Water canon, it's a friggin smorgasbord. I just hope you can have a well earned break when you finish this.

13 hours ago, Dom Mason said:

Oh - My - God !!!

This is incredible.

Really ?!!! This is Mozart,this is de Vinci. This is the essence of FS programming. It's about how to feel a place and transcript it in FS world.

Oh - My - God !!!

Dom

Well it can't be De Vinci. But this is just about giving a huge amount of work in every squarred inch of the scenery.

So, yes, its De Vinci. In 2054, people will remind you of De Jarrad or The Marshall. (no i haven't drink yet).

Ooooohhhhh

Hmm maybe Johannes Vermeer.

I'll have what he is having.

I also have Austria PRO HD West as for me there is nothing that beats flying over good photoreal with autogen. Therefor I am extremely happy to hear your scenery will be compatible. Can you comment perhaps if in addition to the APX/vector clash there will be any color differences between yours and the photocolor of Austria Pro HD. Will they blend colorwise OK together?

Mike  

2 hours ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

Hi Filippo, I too purchased my copy of Austria Professional HD West a couple of months ago, and can confirm that out-of-the-box, there will be some minor compatibility issues based around vector/APX clashes. It is my intention to write up compatibility instructions for those wanting to use both together, however this will be done after LOWI is released. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Oh, this is really a great news. Having both masterpieces blending and fitting together is my dream. I fly on that area a lot. I will wait for your instructions then.

Those P3D screenshots... are they from version 3? I know that in FSX you normally use LOD 8-10, so I thought I could easily recognize the P3D shots by looking at the mountains in the background (P3Dv3 has its LOD cemented at 6.5 because of tesselation). Actually, I have a hard time telling those FSX and P3D mountains apart.

22 minutes ago, Vora said:

Those P3D screenshots... are they from version 3? I know that in FSX you normally use LOD 8-10, so I thought I could easily recognize the P3D shots by looking at the mountains in the background (P3Dv3 has its LOD cemented at 6.5 because of tesselation). Actually, I have a hard time telling those FSX and P3D mountains apart.

It is marked! The last 24 shots are P3d3.4. One can tell it also by the much more vibrant colours. All the others are FSX.

11 minutes ago, wolfko said:

It is marked! The last 24 shots are P3d3.4. One can tell it also by the much more vibrant colours. All the others are FSX.

yes, I know. It's just that the difference in LOD doesn't seem to be as highly visible as in Sedona or Palm Springs.

I can see a LOD difference on the background peak in the first FSX pic and the third to last P3D pic. Maybe PTA does blurr the difference somewhat.

I wonder how many simultaneous downloads the Orbx servers will be able to handle because I think that ability will be tested to the limit and beyond when Innsbruck releases. I think it will break all records, especially as there hasn't been such a significant release for some time.

Archived