Rivers, Dams, and probably also Tigers

Stillwater

"Strahan Seaplanes – Take a scenic seaplane flight above the Tasmanian wilderness. Take off at Strahan climb high above Macquarie Harbour and fly across the dense rainforests of the Tasmanian World Heritage Wilderness Area, with its wild rivers and rugged peaks. Circle the sheer crags of Frenchmans Cap and look down on the famous Franklin River. A highlight is a landing high on the Gordon River. Go ashore and walk past ancient Huon pines to the cascading crystal waters of Sir John Falls. On the return flight, take in Sarah Island, the feared penal settlement, where the worst convicts laboured through harsh winters; watch the crashing, foaming waves at Hell’s Gates; fly along the endless sandy stretch of Ocean Beach and see Macquarie Harbour, the second largest harbour in Australia. Duration – 1 hour and a half."

I could not resist...

2017-2-18_18-52Strahan.jpg
2017-2-18_18-54-35-628.jpg

... but I took a slightly different routing than described above, Ocean Beach first, ...

2017-2-18_18-57OceanBeach.jpg

... and turning into Macquarie Harbour at Hells Gates. I think Sarah Island is missing in our sim (?).

2017-2-18_19-2MacquarieHarbour.jpg

Up Gordon River...

2017-2-18_19-7GordonRiver.jpg

... into the wilderness.

2017-2-18_19-8wilderness.jpg
2017-2-18_19-10-22-633.jpg

There are good places to land on the Gordon River...

2017-2-18_19-11Gordonlanding.jpg

... but today we go on to where the Franklin merges. The fight to conserve this region is an interesting history lesson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Dam_controversy .

2017-2-18_19-15Franklinmerge.jpg
2017-2-18_19-20-36-647.jpg

Up we climb to the gigantic Gordon Dam and the artificial lake.

2017-2-18_19-22GordonDam.jpg
2017-2-18_19-23LakeGordon.jpg
2017-2-18_19-23-20-65.jpg

And back down to the southwest coast, towards Port Davey. I would not be surprised if the last Tasmanian Tigers do still hide here, while most people think they would be extinct...

2017-2-18_19-44PortDavey.jpg

Turning into Bathurst Harbour, ...

2017-2-18_19-53BathurstHarbour.jpg

... and towards Melaleuca. A very remote location, but that does not mean lonelyness.

2017-2-18_19-58Melaleuca.jpg
2017-2-18_20-1-12-842.jpg
2017-2-18_20-4-22-403.jpg
2017-2-18_20-7YBTH.jpg

Indeed a flight I was always dreaming to make in RL. Just like this... 

But it seems the time is gone: http://www.adventureflights.com.au/ 

Wonderful views of your trip Gerold and interesting video too.

We are so lucky that we can replicate this flight in our sims.

The Gordon below Franklin was the big issue when I first came to Australia in '81, I can remember people writing No Dams on their voting slips.

Fingers crossed that the Tassie Tiger is out there somewhere but in the meantime it appears you have found some other rare wildlife. Not too many bikinis to be seen with Tassie's cold climate!

I reinstalled my FSX with all the OZx airport packs yesterday so I might catch up with you somewhere in Oz in the future.

23 minutes ago, dolf8857 said:

Very nice!

Thank you, Dolf!

36 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Fingers crossed that the Tassie Tiger is out there somewhere but in the meantime it appears you have found some other rare wildlife. Not too many bikinis to be seen with Tassie's cold climate!

I reinstalled my FSX with all the OZx airport packs yesterday so I might catch up with you somewhere in Oz in the future.

Indeed the climate might be fresh there currently, when you only have 7.6°C at tropical Victoria. But the wildlife might have adapted.

I look forward to see some tiny OZx spots rediscovered by you here soon. The enthusiasts did such a great job for all of us to enjoy.

Thank you for commenting, (which is my pleasure), @Iain Emms and @Republic DC-9!

18 hours ago, tom2rific said:

geat shots and a very enjoyable flight...thanks for allowing me to come along..

tom

You are more than welcome, Tom!

16 hours ago, BradB said:

Thanks for more great shots from your tour of Tassie Gerold !! .

Cheers

John

All just inspiration for you. Once you are back in full fitness!

15 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Wow, your shotz look just like the video! And your title reminds me of the wonderful comedy Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Ein Ticket für zwei)

I always take some time to make up a posts title - and I always hope for funny associations.

14 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice Gerold!  Man, I can't get enough of your tours.  Nice PeopleFlow!

I can´t get enough either, Jack! Though the people unfortunately were only static... :blink:.

13 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Great shots, there is not a corner that will be left unexplored of that beautiful region. I guess you are contemplating buying a cottage in the area?!

Be assured I do my best to cover the area. Though there is a lot of wilderness (which can get boring when you just fly there).

A cottage down there would be great, well, perhaps in an area where they have this invention called "roads". But still not a weekend trip destination...

15 hours ago, adambar said:

Fantastic flight and shots Gerold, especially the one above the video. :)

Nature´s beauties in the wilderness state, always good to see.

1 hour ago, teecee said:

Just found this thread, Mate you are making me Homesick :D.. Great stuff Gerold.. Teecee.

Thanks, TeeCee. Have you been strong enough to watch these posts also?

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/130683-into-the-night/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/130728-north-by-northwest/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/130787-islands-in-the-sun/

Another great trip, I had the priveledge of doing several paintings of the area, an artists dream, also many photos of the area if anyone's interested, I was installing satellite dishes all over the state for broadband and got to see almost all of the remote places, they have a saying down that way about the weather, "It rains for 9 months and drips from the trees the other 3" add some snow and it's pretty true

9 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

Another great trip, I had the priveledge of doing several paintings of the area, an artists dream, also many photos of the area if anyone's interested, I was installing satellite dishes all over the state for broadband and got to see almost all of the remote places, they have a saying down that way about the weather, "It rains for 9 months and drips from the trees the other 3" add some snow and it's pretty true

Ken, if it's okay with Orbx do you think you could post some of your painting shots?  I love people with the ability to put paint to canvas and capture the essence of a place.  Yes, I for one am very interested.

Best,

Jack

Superb shots Gerold. There areas down the South West of Tas

that have still not been ventured into by humans because of the remote

and high density rain forests. Tasmanian Tigers, are they out there?

You will have to come down and ask the locals. Don't take my word for it.:huh:^_^

cheers

Gumby

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Ken, if it's okay with Orbx do you think you could post some of your painting shots?  I love people with the ability to put paint to canvas and capture the essence of a place.  Yes, I for one am very interested.

Best,

Jack

Sure Jack I'll pick some out for you

22 hours ago, Bluebear said:

Thank you for take along by your scenic flight, Gerold :)

Cheers

Bluebear

Thanks, Bluebear!

20 hours ago, Rick@YMEN said:

Great journey, thanks for taking us along.......whats next after the apple isle?

The first destination is - obviously - the mainland. But then... maybe some RL-sim comparisons?

19 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Maybe your weather description is the reason why I feel so much at home in Tas. I just have to look outside...

15 hours ago, jury42 said:

Incredible shots.

Thank you, Jury!

11 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

Thanks for the ride, and a nice welcome at the end :lol:

Always good to see that someone is waiting for you.

11 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Superb shots Gerold. There areas down the South West of Tas that have still not been ventured into by humans because of the remote and high density rain forests. Tasmanian Tigers, are they out there? You will have to come down and ask the locals. Don't take my word for it.:huh:^_^

cheers

Gumby

Why should we find out if there are still some Tigers alive? If so, they might stay in safe separation...

But I like the idea to come down and ask...!

Archived